First timer help and advice needed

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by Mozzie, 26 Apr 2016.

1. Mozzie

Mozzie

Hello all, OK I'm new to this and am dreaming of owning my own pice of ocean....I know nothing except the pretty pictures in my head. I've seen a nice size tank 1.6 x 680 x 680, nice cabinet, Galvo steel frame and 3 ft built in sump and corner over flow for what seems like a fair price, R 1500 ( about to pull the cash out my wallet) .
    So today I go to a well known marine pet shop / supplier and what they recommend to get a tank of this size running came in just under 50k...yip that's not a miss print...50k.... Really 50k for some plastic bottles, pumps,filters, rock, lights etc. Now my question is, is this really the price to set up a tank of this size?
    OK after my questions and being scared out the store and trying to save some of my man hood and dignity I left the store knowing no more than when I walked in.
    Please can some one suggest what items are needed to start up such a tank ( not live rock, tank, sand and fish, I've learnt that every tank needs these lol) like the necessary items, the basics.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. TaahirS

TaahirS MASA Contributor

Lights
    Skimmer
    Return pump
    Wavemakers
    Maybe some reactors depending on how you want to run your system.
    Filter socks if you want
    Possibly a Doser if you keep lots of hard corals and need to dose elements
    RO machine
    Salt bucket

There isn't really a set rule to what you need, everybody runs their tank differently. It depends alot on what you would like to keep.

Last edited by a moderator: 8 May 2016
  4. EFJ

EFJ MASA Contributor

masahello

Hi and welcome to the scary world of marines. Ok the basics are obviously a tank, lights, powerheads, skimmer, heater and return pump.

5. Mozzie

Mozzie Thread Starter

I would really like to start with soft corals and fish, most of which I'd like to catch myself ( live on the north coast of kzn and am a keen spearfisherman and free diver)
    So from what you said above, 50K SEEMS way out the ball park to sey up a tank of this size? Don't wanna lose this deal...R 1500 isn't much but if it's going to cost 50k I mite aswell just enjoy the ocean when it permits my diving

6. Mozzie

Mozzie Thread Starter

OK Ffffkit...I'm gonna take the plunge and buy the tank, from the equipment posted above the cost won't be near 50k.
    So I need a skimmer that can cycle about 800-1000L
    Pump that can cycle about the same as above and I'm off to a good start.
    Please can someone explain a reactor?
    Lighting... I was quoted almost R9000 x 2 including the balist and led lighting, does this seem right

Last edited: 26 Apr 2016
  7. TaahirS

TaahirS MASA Contributor

Well, lights wise you're looking at 15k for zetlights. T5 will be cheaper to start off with. But you're gonna have to spend about R2500 per year replacing bulbs on top of the initial cost. You could maybe look to find a bargain in the for sale forum.

Skimmer wise, bubble magus curve 9 which is one of the budget options will set you back about R5500.

Return pump Maybe R1500

You're gonna spend at least 4k in Jeboa wavemakers.

RO machine about R1500

Blue treasure salt is about R750 for 20kgs which makes 690l if I'm not mistaken. So you'll need to buy two as your system is about 850l including sump.

8. EFJ

EFJ MASA Contributor

It all comes down to what you want and how complicated you want to make it for your self. I would say the price on the tank is a good deal. Don't worry about reactors now as it can be a bit confusing for a new guy.

9. TaahirS

TaahirS MASA Contributor

You could also look for a full system in the for sale section. It can definitely be done for less than the above prices if you wait for a good deal second hand.

I'd check the specs on that tank, what's the glass thickness? R1500 seems like a great price.

10. EFJ

EFJ MASA Contributor

Look in the For Sale section as their is always bargains that come along.

11. Mozzie

Mozzie Thread Starter

Haha confusing? Never mind confusing but mind blowing. The prices posted above seem more reasonable and affordable.. My pice of ocean mite still be in reach. Thanks for the advice

12. Mozzie

Mozzie Thread Starter

Glass thickness on the tank mentioned is 10mm. Tank was bought for the hardware that came with the tank, owner now selling as he had a bigger tank built

13. TaahirS

TaahirS MASA Contributor

I think the lfs would be talking about high end equip with all the latest tech.

For a softy tank you don't really need high end stuff. Basics are fine.

EFJ likes this.
  14. jacohall

jacohall

Check for some second hand equipment on the for sale threads. Some good stuff for way less than what you would pay brand new. 50k seems a bit heavy. But if you go top class equipment it can easily exceed that. I'm from JBay and use natural sea water and it's working great for me. Mixed opinions on that one, but saves me a bit of bucks at least.

EFJ likes this.
  15. Mozzie

Mozzie Thread Starter

Thanks gents for settling my mind jacohall...Thought they were taking me for a ride with there prices. Thanks for the advice gents

16. Mozzie

Mozzie Thread Starter

Might need advice on how to keep my wife relationship happy after this purchase lol

17. jacohall

jacohall

And welcome to MASA. I'm also fairly new to the whole deal. You usually end up spending more than you bargained for. There are always more things that you can buy. So be wise. I'm eating lots more egg on toast lately!

18. Mozzie

Mozzie Thread Starter

Wahahaha those eggs and toast are worth it! A tank is even better than dstv....no repeats and something new every day

19. EFJ

EFJ MASA Contributor

For a new guy coming into this hobby it can be intimidating. Seeing all the guys nice setups and the nice equipment they got etc. Alot of us had to start where you are and with time things started improving. Most of us have bought most of our equipment 2nd hand for a fraction of the price of a new one (come to think of it all my equipment besides my heaters are second hand). Also ask before you buy as here is a lot of experience at the touch of a button and then there is 2 very important things to this hobby.....

20. EFJ

EFJ MASA Contributor

1. Patience, patience and more patience is key.
    2. Have fun, when it starts to become a choir then you have lost the plot of this hobby.

21. Mozzie

Mozzie Thread Starter

EFJ thanks for the input...I've got time for the hobby part ( perfect world mentality) but the choir part...uhh..tank will end up on Gumtree lol

Recent Posts