First Timer Advice Needed

Reaction score
So I have a 32L tank that I want to convert into my very first Marine Aquarium.
Thinking of starting simple with some fish, live rock and some soft corals.

Filtration and starter salt are what I need a recommendation for. As well as what fish and cleanup crew would you recommend for me?

Oh, tank dimensions are: 460 x 230 x 310

~Hunter

Last edited:
Are you planning on including a sump? It will up your water volume and give you more space for filtration

Are you planning on including a sump? It will up your water volume and give you more space for filtration

At the moment my budget is tight, so I probably will include a sump later down the line, but right now I can't afford one.

~Hunter

If you cant afford a sump now, then you can either run a HOB skimmer at the back of the tank, or you could build in a in tank sump, which will grant a neater hidden look for your filtration.
something like this, even less technical would be fine
1591099279777.png

Last edited:
If you cant afford a sump now, then you can either run a HOB skimmer at the back of the tank, or you could build in a in tank sump, which will grant a neater hidden look for your filtration.
something like this, even less technical would be fine
1591099279777.png

Can you give me recommendations on what materials I can use? I've never built an internal sump so I don't know where to start. I was thinking of using a HOB for the first few months until I can get a sump.

~Hunter

Perspex or acrylic is one of the most common materials used, otherwise you can use glass:thumbup1:

Im no expert but for someone starting up try and get an larger volume it more forgiving. There are many deals that come up on 200l systems thats quite cheap. I find the 200l more affordable in terms of equipment and maintenance. But all that said if your buget allows rather get the right thing from the start there is nothing that spoils the hobby more than restrictions on how you do things. Take your time and get what you need.

Last edited:
@BarryRoux Fully Agreed. There is a saying that goes "the only thing that happens fast in this hobby, is mistakes"

Im no expert but for someone starting up try and get an larger volume it more forgiving. There are many deals that come up on 200l systems thats quite cheap. I find the 200l more affordable in terms of equipment and maintenance. But all that said if your buget allows rather get the right thing from the start there is nothing that spoils the hobby more than restrictions on how you do things. Take your time and get what you need.

My biggest issue is space, I don't have space for another large 100l plus tank. My current freshwater carnivore tank needs to be replaced with a 400L because the fish in there are outgrowing it, so the only space I have left is for my small 32L tank.

~Hunter

I have seen some awesome nano and pico tanks with out fancy equipment that rely on regular water change to keep parameters stable, however with how climate in summer you would have temperature issues with that small water volume and RO top up might be a nightmare.
Please post pics of your progress.

I have seen some awesome nano and pico tanks with out fancy equipment that rely on regular water change to keep parameters stable, however with how climate in summer you would have temperature issues with that small water volume and RO top up might be a nightmare.
Please post pics of your progress.
Will do. I'll begin my process end of the month.

~Hunter

Back
Top Bottom