First Time Marine Tank

Discussion in 'New Members' started by SmellLikeFish, 8 Apr 2018.

1. SmellLikeFish

SmellLikeFish

Hi all ,

I Stay in Southern Suburbs, Cape Town and Im currently studying at UCT. Im trying to keep the budget low however do realise im going to have to spend to get started.

Looking at setting up a 60L tank without a sump. I have been doing some reading but obviously would like some more input and will be asking lots of questions.This is my first marine tank and would like to get the cycle started soon. Does anyone have any live rock for sale ? I also still need to get substrate but would also like input on this please ?

I look foward to chatting to everyone on the forum and learning from you.

Thanks In Advance

2. Guest

3. Dian6430

Dian6430

Welcome man. What equipment are you planning to run? Whats the size of the tank?

4. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Hello and Welcome @SmellLikeFish

Perky Pets are in the southern suburbs.

5. OP
    SmellLikeFish

SmellLikeFish

Hi @Dian6430 ,Thanks for the reply. Ive been doing some research but for now I have a 100watt heater and a clip on pump I bought recently.I added some photos. I still need to either get a small wave maker or a small powerhead pump for current.

Ive been watching some youtube videos and most of the guys with nanos are just running a filter similar to mine and are doing weekly water changes and are adding a carbon into the water , I think Im going to try this ?
    Thoughts ?

My Tank is 60cmx30cmx45cm.

Another question is how could I get my tank cycled faster ? Water from an existing tank ?

@RiaanP Hi , thanks will go have a look there.

image.jpg

image.jpg

6. Dian6430

Dian6430

Sorry i really have no knowledge running a marine tank with the above mentioned equipment. Those look like freshwater equipment

7. Keshen

Keshen Nano Addiction

Hi & welcome, if you go with a smaller tank then the filter will work, I started a 30lt tank 6months ago it has a little built in filtration and I added a hang-on filter , and small powerhead for more flow, I do 20% water change on once I week which is a must. I started my setup with live reef sand, live rock and salt water ran it in for 5weeks and had the water tested at my LFS and once all water parameters was 100% I added my first fish in on week 6. This site help me a lot and I gained a lot of knowledge.

You need to be patient when it comes to cycling a tank, as it works best. Good Luck

8. Jones

Jones

The general rule of thumb when using hang on back filters for marine is to use one that is rated for twice the the size of your tank.

9. OP
    SmellLikeFish

SmellLikeFish

Hi @Keshen , Thanks for the reply, I will be following in your footsteps.I went to perky pets in Diep River today. got a few things to get the cycle started.I got stability from Seachem , Blue treasure premium coral sand and their premixed salt water. I will be adding live rock as soon as I can find some more affordable live rock, if anyone can help me in cape town it will be much appreciated.

Hi @Jones , Thanks for the reply, then my pump should be fine as my tank is about a 70L and it is rated for 280L/h.

10. Mischif93

Mischif93

Wouldn't Seachem Matrix and activated carbon source added in the filter (if possible) assist in filtration in a setup without skimmer? (as well as water changes)
    Though the activated carbon may require dosing but still interested.

Just curious, I have matrix in my one chamber with live rock and cheato and then some more matrix, activated carbon and bio balls in the other but I have a skimmer and perform dosing, but I would assume that the matrix and activated carbon would further assist in a setup without a skimmer.

11. Keshen

Keshen Nano Addiction

All the best, keep us posted

12. Dian6430

Dian6430

Why do you say one must dose with carbon? Yes matrix will help for a bigger bacterial colony in the tank to help process nitrates etc

13. Mischif93

Mischif93

Im referring to the use of activated carbon/activated charcoal (which some people run in reactors) and not carbon dosing like NOPOX or Vodka etc.

I use it as it polishes the water, it could also assist in the export of organics which attach to it when replacing it.

14. Corne

Corne

Those dimensions give you a volume of 81L
    Taking substrate and live rock into account your volume will prob be around 65L
    If the HOB filter pictured can handle about 130 to 150L you should be fine.
    Regular water changes will be a life saver if youre not using a HOB protien skimmer.
    If you use live sand, live rock or water from another aquarium you are risking introducing some hitch hickers.
    If you use "dry/dead" materials instead you will have to introduce bacteria with something like seachem stability and it will take a bit longer, but you will have a bit more control in re what goes into your aquarium.

SmellLikeFish likes this.

Recent Posts