first time marine tank

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by Sheena, 18 Dec 2011.

1. Sheena

Sheena

hey all, about 6-8weeks ago i bought a 2nd hand aqua H20 1.2x60x60 marine tank, with all necessary equipment and luckily came with alot of uncured rock, so i cured it in a very large bucket for a week while i was cycling my tank with only that 40kg pearl sand, after a week and ofcourse everyday putting in necessary bacteria i had water tested and everything was perfect so put rocks in and few days later started getting fish, soon i know but i tested water every day and never had a problem, i first got my dottyback and alot of coral, every few days i got different types of corals, i know some of there names....bubble coral,some carpets, leather mushroom,galaxy coral,torch, ect... then i got 2 hermits and snails and 2nemos, week later got goby, cleaner shrimp, and more coral,then later again cleaner wrasse and bristle tooth tang all healthy and happy, unfortunately had bad luck later on with powder blue tang trying to QT him as he had ich, they stress way to much in QT, so that is my story thus far will post some pics soon

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Kunhardt

Kunhardt

Hi and welcome Sheena.

Nice to have you in the hobby, hope you get many enjoyable years out of your tank. A couple of questions and thoughts though...When you say you got all the necessary equipment...can u maybe go into more detail on that...types of pumps, skimmer if any, that sort of thing?

You seem to have stocked up very quickly for someone new to the hobby...as the over used saying goes...rather take it slow in reefkeeping as only problems are going to arise quickly by rushing things. I would have started out with the snails and hermits as clean up crew and worked up every few weeks or so from there with an item or 2. One week is not enough time for a new tank with new rock to establish itself, rushing things can result in nuisance algae brought on by high phosphates and nitrates and at the worst loss of livestock.

Powder Blues are notorious for getting white spot and are avoided sometimes by even the most experienced reefers for that fact...a major breakout in Ich from the PB could result in the whole tank being infected.

Another thing is Carpets are not Corals...they are anemones and need a mature tank to be fully happy...remember they can walk if not happy in the tank and could land up in overflow pipes or powerheads causing death to them and possibly other tank mates.

Try to avoid impulse buys, rather read up every thing that you are wanting to put in the tank, know that livestock inside out and if you think that you can keep it successfully then go ahead and buy it...impulse buys can again lead to heartache.

Again good luck with the tank and hope you take it a bit slower from here on out. ;)

4. Tremayn

Tremayn

welcome! As Mark said above

5. Sheena

Sheena Thread Starter

thank you for your comment, yes i know ,ive been many years with all tropical fish and yes i know its way more work with marine but its all stepping stones.
    i weekly put in phophate remover not much tho, test my ammonia,nitite nitrate and high and low ph often so far so good as for algae oh yes did have out break but my tang sorted it out im at the moment putting in purple up everyday. as for carpet interesting didnt know but both came with LR, i noticed one moving when i put those specail lights in the 2 blue and 2 pink, he doesnt like that much light, but im honestly keeping an eye on them 24/7, i had that sand enonome H.crispa got the specail lighting everything but took him back as it wouldnt settle no matter how much i spent on it, fed well and everthing but just wouldnt stop moving. well what i can read on skimmer it says its for a 125g tank, the pump says aquah20, will have a better look later, i must say even having a fish with ich in my tank for 4days , my fish all healthy and clearly great immune system and yes i know slower is better, u know how exciting this hobby is! i am slowing down now after the ich problem. i will get more details on skimmer and pump maybe pics, still learning how to do that. oh have i mentioned all coral have doubled or tripled in size since purchase which im really happy about. please keep comments flowing;)

6. Sheena

Sheena Thread Starter

thanks guys, gona need all your support:thumbup:

7. Tremayn

Tremayn

good to hear the coral are doing good. I know @Falcon had an aqua skimmer and he knew how to make it work, well I think it was falcon lol

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  8. belindamotion

belindamotion Google Master

Click on this Link and start a Thread on your Tank...I calculated about 430L and if you add Sump, then I'll say you have a Large Tank...
    Large Tanks - Marine Aquariums of South Africa
    Give all you'r Spec's...LxWxH..light's...pumps...skimmer...etc...you can also load the pic's as you mention...DT(display tank)...post a pic...then sump..post a pic...we will then use that thread and sort out whatever needs to be upgraded..and you can also keep it up to date with new additions..:)

I find this way is easier to load PICS...:p...with the Image Uploader you still have to figure out the trick with re-sizing...:p

Open an Album...click on you'r Profile...on the far Right you will get option to open an Album...open one and load onto there...."green square" ontop...it will show "upload photo'... when you have created the Album...when you upload into the Album you won't have any resizing requirements....hope this helps...then when you Post...you just.."insert" from Album...by copy and paste...make sure the Curser in in a new line...

9. Nico Kortenbout

Nico Kortenbout

10. Nico Kortenbout

Nico Kortenbout

Welcome to the world of marine!! Slow is the way to go. I trust you will have many many happy years of tank happiness!!

11. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

Welcome to MASA. I agree, take it slow. I suggest you read the link in my signature on starting a marine tank - it has a lot of great info regarding the cycle, filtration, light, etc - do yourself and your livestock the favour.
    On a different note, please use proper punctuation in your posts, it just makes it easier to read and for us to see where the sentences stop and the next begin ;)

12. Kunhardt

Kunhardt

Your skimmer sounds as if its rated for about 450L...although probably spot on for the tank size ideally you always want to go for a skimmer rated 2 to 3 times the tank volume for better skimming.

The fact that you say you have had algae issues already is a concern, could just be minor and part of your tank establishing in its early stages, but I would keep an eye on that...the tangs are not going to be able to keep it in check if it gets out of hand...and algae growth is usually the first physical signs that there are nutrient problems with a tank. Purple Up is not going to remove algae its basically a calcium suppliment. ;)

The H.Crispa should never had been bought at this stage in your tank and yours life, it was walking because you tank is not ready for an anemone....they need a mature stable system to be happy...9-12 months of running is what you would be looking at. Please dont buy another anemone until you have found your footing in this hobby. The fact that you think an anemone doesnt like light tells me straight away that you did no research on them before purchasing one...Anemones in most cases need very good strong lighting for them to be happy.

I have heard it so many times guys saying "I have kept fresh water for years, so I know..." and 90% of the time those guys tanks end in disaster...because they try and apply the same principles to reefkeeping and dont heed warnings because they think its going to be the same as fresh water. I'm glad you are keen for input though and hopefully open to advice from all on the forum.

Read the threads Tobes has suggested they will help you a great deal, and as Belinda stated some pics of the tank would be great, not only cause we love to see other ppls tanks, but it will also give us a better idea of how things are going. :)

13. Sheena

Sheena Thread Starter

no i did read about it first i read about marine continuously for about 2 months before getting the tank, i know anemones like the light that's why i paid so much for the specific lighting needed, i meant my anemone wouldn't stop moving after getting the lighting,t5 54w pure actinic bulb, 54w powerchrome aqua pink then the same in blue.so yeah i know it needs the light. then concerning purple up small misunderstanding, i got it to add algae to tank not remove, my tang removed all the algae. i supplement my tank weekly with reef plus, reef iodode, reef complete, reef advantage, reef builder, reef buffer and reef strontium, feed with zoo plankton and phyto plankton. also when introducing new fish i use herbtana to boost immune system. hmmm cant think of anything else right now but keep comments going or questions! thanks

14. irie ivan

irie ivan MASA Contributor

Hi Sheena. Welcome to the forum. I highly recommend, in fact, if I could insist I would: take heed of advice given above, as it is all good and given with the intention to help you succeed.

Furthermore, take in what you have read, as you don't seem to be applying it at all. From what you have posted, iit seems to me that you are any lfs' dream customer, any additive you are told will work or have some benefit is purchased.
    Have you read up on for example purple up? Or any of the others you are adding? You need to understand what each of them do, or at least know why you are adding them. Throwing all kinds of magic potions in your system is NOT the answer, rather throw your resources at obtaining knowledge and use wisdom in its application, something which only comes by taking it slowly.

I have been reading up on this hobby for 15 years, and I still feel that my knowledge needs improvement.

You mention you are measuring pH low and high range? What are you measuring it with? Likewise on the rest of your tests?

Yes, we all know how exciting, beautifully rewarding and satisfying this hobby can be, BUT we also know how heartbreaking, frustrating and budget depleting it can be.

My apologies if this sound harsh, but I feel it is called for! in this hobby, you are going to need lots of advise, which is why this forum is so great. No advise here is based on selling you anything, something you need to bear in mind before you visit an lfs again.

There are quite a few reefers here who would gladly allow you into their homes to view their tanks and even visit you to give advice on your tank.

Do not be shy to ask questions (just watch the grammar and punctuation) there's no such thing as a stupid question.

15. Sheena

Sheena Thread Starter

thank you and yes i agree with all of you completely, i do take in everything every one says and hope i get it right. i have a red sea mini lab as the shops call it, i honestly dont even understand the high and low range but i do know ph is best at 8.3 which i maintain, iv learnt today also i feed my fish and coral way to much as i had high nitrite and nitrate level today for the first time and ammonia slightly over the 0, did a water change which brought it down. going later to get stuff for the problem. any advice on keeping nitrite and nitrate and ammonia down will be appreciated. thanx again. oh yes im hoping purple up will add colour to live rocks as i was told!:blush:

16. Anita

Anita Sponsor

Welcome Sheena, hope you enjoy MASA, it really is a friendly place, Cheers Anita

17. Sheena

Sheena Thread Starter

thanks Anita

18. Kunhardt

Kunhardt

The fact that you have Ammonia and Nitrite readings tells me your tank is still cycling...these 2 should never be present in a stocked tank as they are extremely hazardous to your inmates...Ammonia breaks down into Nitrites and in turn into Nitrates...the first 2 should never be present in a stocked tank as you should have enough bacteria present to deal with them...this is why we cycle tanks and do so anything from 4-8 weeks...the longer the better as it allows these bacteria levels to increase and when you do add stock thetank is able to handle it without causing ammonia or nitrite spikes.

You can add more bacteria...Prodibio Biodigest or Seachems Stability...to help sort things out, but imo I would remove the livestock, maybe get someone to look after it for you for a little while and let the tank go through its cycle properly, otherwise this is going to result in endless problems in the future.

Those Red Sea Mini Labs arent they the old version Red Sea Test Kits? If so I dont know how accurate that tests readings are...their test kits used to be notoriously bad before they redid them recently.

19. irie ivan

Hi sheena. The high nitrites and nitrates you are experiencing can most likely be attributed to more than just overfeeding.
    You mentioned that you "cured" live rock for a week. It definitely takes longer than a week for rock to be fully cured and colonized. Even once you have cured the rock, bacteria needs to multiply to cope with any new livestock additions.
    Furthermore, I suspect your skimmer is totally inadequate for your bioload and tank size. Again, you state that you are going again later to get stuff for the problem. There is no quick fix for overstocking, poor husbandry or inferior filtration. The lfs will keep selling you stuff to solve your "problem" only leading to further frustration, livestock losses and disappointment. Trust me, a lot of us have been down that path.

You are however already in a predicament, so enough preaching for now, let me rather try and assist you to achieve short term results.

Which area are you in, so that I can direct you to the correct sponsor for products required?
    Can you afford a skimmer upgrade?

Please post pictures of your setup, especially filtration / sump.

20. irie ivan

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  21. Sheena

Sheena Thread Starter

ok. i see what you mean. i have been putting stability in will get more and carry on with it.

yes i do believe its the old test kit, didnt know it was inacurate.

im in kuilsriver area i think theres a new place in brackenfell, but i also normally go to zayn in cavendish square or perky pets in diepriver, visited oceanson once, anywhere is good for me.

im so hesitant to remove fish they look so comfy:(, any other way of doing this?

Recent Posts