First time Marine Tank Owner.

Discussion in 'New Members' started by ShaunSwindon, 26 Nov 2010.

1. ShaunSwindon

ShaunSwindon

Morning everyone. My name is Shaun and I live in the Kew area, Johannesburg. I have kept huge fresh water tanks for years. My biggest was a 6foot where I had Oscars and eels inside :biggrin:

I have been trying to read through all the links on this site. A huge amount of information by the way ;)

Regardless I have already bought a 1200x400x800 Sun Sun tank from the pet shop in the Boksburg Flea Market as this was the biggest one my Wife would allow. I am not sure of the name of my mini internal skimmer or my large external filter. I have two internal filters (mainly for current), current power head plus a gutter filter. I know a sump is ideal but apparently the external filter works just as well? Please tell me this is correct....please :whistling:

Today is in fact 3 weeks since I filled the tank. I put about 5kgs of live rock in last Sunday and have been enjoying watching all the little creatures which are now crawling around the tank or waving in the current. I also was wondering about that and when is the best time to insert live rock into my tank? Some say when you fill the tank the first time and some say after a month. Some advice would be appreciated here please :thumbup:

I am just a bit worried about the sudden "brownish" algae which has appeared suddenly after a week on only the live rocks. Will anything eat this algae? I also have a long red haired algae which came with one of the live rocks. Should I leave that in the tank or should I be worried about all this algae and begin trying to remove anything? I don't really mind the algae but I have heard the red one can take over your tank in time. Will anything eat it eventually? Starfish or a certain type of Fish maybe and how much longer should I wait before I can add them?

Anyways I am so excited just by staring at the empty tank at the moment :thumbup:

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. butcherman

butcherman Moderator MASA Contributor

Welcome to MASA.

Dont worry about the algae they are called Diatoms, and all part of cycling your tank.

Do you have a picture(s) of your setup? we would love to see them.

4. Mauritius-aquarist

Mauritius-aquarist

WELCOME TO MASA...............................
    Pictures plz..............................!

5. ShaunSwindon

ShaunSwindon Thread Starter

Thanks for the welcome :wave2:

Yeah I will try to post some pics tonight when I get home from work :thumbup:

6. flipwhip

flipwhip

Welcome to MASA…...:thumbup:

7. Boegie

Boegie

Welcome

8. sweetnsour

sweetnsour

9. ShaunSwindon

10. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

Here is your pic

[​IMG]

11. seank

seank

masahello

12. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

Welcome to MASA, glad you joined. Just a heads up from my side. Please remove those airstones in the tank - all those bubbles pop on the water surface and splatter all over your lights and canopy causing salt creep when the water evaporates. Rather point one of the powerheads upwards to move the water surface - this will ensure better gas exchange and put oxygen in the water ;)

13. Singularity

Singularity Hmmm amper!

masahello

14. Tremayn

Tremayn

tank looks nice :)

15. ShaunSwindon

Fourth Week Joy for me :)

This Friday is the fourth week that my water has been running :thumbup:

Any suggestions on what kind of fish or other live organisms I should think of getting to start off with?

16. Tiger eye

Tiger eye

:welcome7: Dude after 4 weeks first test your water and make sure your parameters are right, thereafter make sure your parameters remain stable for atleast 2 weeks with no big fluctuations. Thereafter only you can start stocking slowly, remember every time you add a fish or liverock your tank will go through a mini cycle which has to complete before you can add more livestock.

17. ShaunSwindon

Yeah thanks Im not planning to add too much stuff right away. I already had my water tested and everything was kosher. I was thinking of a a single cleaner rasse perhaps or something which eats algae :whistling:

I have by accident via the live rock received 3 starfish which have been in the tank now for two weeks and they are doing fine.

I agree though with you about waiting another two weeks just to be sure but I am so excited to see my ecosystem ;)

18. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Hello and welcome.

Did you remove the airstones?

External filters works well, well depends on what your goal will be. For fish only and live rock, it should be fine. Even some softies like mushrooms and some zoa's and some leathers. Your tank is anyway to deep and your lights not up to standard to even consider at the moment any corals be it LPS, SPS or clams, anemones or anything else that does depends on light.

Ultimately a sump is better. Then you can hide that ugly heater... :)
    But seriously it does allow for a lot other better options. keep on reading MASA.

19. Tiger eye

Tiger eye

By the way its a beutiful tank.

20. ShaunSwindon

No I did not yet remove the air stones. I kind of like them regardless of if they cause salt creep or could "possibly" damage fish :sorry:

Should I really get rid of them? Or can I just turn off the air pump?

Otherwise my brown algae problem which I had a few days ago seems to be settling down and it looks like in some parts that it is actually dissapearing :thumbup:

I think putting a sump in now would be rather a mission right? I mean you cannot simply build the sump and let it begin filtering right away?

21. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

You can leave the air stones, your tank and your decision.

But believe me, when your tank starts to shock you when you stick your hand into the water due to all the salt creep on your light bulbs. Then you will quickly get rid of them.

And your globes only last 6 months, then their effectiveness starts to go down so much that you need to replace them. Now why do you want to coat them in a layer of salt, filtering light? Well you can remove them every week and wipe them clean. Just part of your husbandry scores. But I'm too lazy to do that.

putting in a sump now, or later will be a mission, now or later. Just safer option to do it while you have no inmates. As you can switch everything off for a few hours with no inmates affected. But you can do it later.

Recent Posts