First Tank - Boyu TL-550

Discussion in 'New Members' started by NickW, 1 Feb 2012.

1. NickW

NickW

Hey Guys,

Would just like to introduce myself, name is nick. I have been in the fish keeping sccene for about 2 years, only freshwater though. recently decided to move into salt water.

To be honest i do not know much about marine species and keeping marine life. So i will post some pics of what i have in my tank and so on, if you guys can guide me and provide some advice that will really be appreciated.

So far i have bought the tank, crushed coral and some live rock and filled the tank with salt water i bought from the local fish shop (I stay in Alberton, Johannesburg, but i am often in Edenvale/ Greenstone area so i will mostl likely be getting the stuff i need from the LFS there)

I ma sure you guys probably know the specs of the Boyu TL550 but ehre they are anyway:

SIZE:510Lx570Wx670H(mm)
    L: 128L
    POWER SAVING LIGHT
    VOLT:AC230/115V
    FREQ:50/60Hz
    POWER:PL-24Wx2
    SUBMERSIBLE PUMP
    VOLT:AC230/115V
    FREQ:50/60Hz
    POWER:20W
    QMAX: 1400L/h

The tank is still pretty much standard, all i have added is a SEIO prop 320.

If you guys think i need to add any thing else please post your suggestions and reccomendations, all will be appreciated, I need all the help i can get, although before i ask questions i will try finding the answers on the other forums here at MASA first, i am sure you guys dont want to repeast yourself over and over again.

But anyway i really hope you guys can share your extensive knowledge on marine keeping with me.

Nick
    (Will post first pics later today or tomorrow):)

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Mc

Mc

Welcome nick.:1:

I also have a TL550 great little starting tank. There are many upgades and mods you can do but it all depends what you wanna keep. The extra power head is a good start, personally I've taken out the bio balls and ceramics in the back but that is up to you. One thing I would recommend is that you get quite alot of live rock It really helps with the filteration. I have about 15kgs in my tank.

4. NickW

NickW Thread Starter

Hi Mc,

Once your remove the bio balls and ceramic rings? what do you replace it with? (if anything)

Thanks for the live rock tip, will be getting some today and then post some pics tomorrow :)

Also with regards to the actual tank, this might be a stupid question, but the powercable for the UV splitter ontop of the return pipe, where does that plug into?

I got the charging unit / power cable which i cant find a place to plug in, the only thing i can think is that it must be for the UV light? but the two end pieces are the same? (female and female), i asked the guy at the shop i bought the tank from and he said it plugs into the skimmer? but i dont see how this is possible as i cant find a port or anythin on the skimmer?

Am i missing something here? (sorry for the terrible explanation but i will post some pics tomorrow to try and explain the situation):whistling:

Last edited: 1 Feb 2012
  5. Mc

Mc

Im taking some pics of the plug now will explain it then.
    The reason I take the bioballs out is that if you have enough live rock that takes care of the ammonia and nitrite, as does the sponge, but if you leave them in the back and don't rinse them regularly they tend to build up detrius which can cause alot of nitrates. Another thing is when you do your water changes make sure to rinse the sponge I didn't rinse mine for a long time and my nitrates got very high, when I finally did it was disgusting. Something else I would suggest is get some filter floss and put it on top of the sponge and changes this at least once a week I change mine twice a week. I might even get another power head to avoid any dead spots I also have the prop 320 as well as another sunsun powerhead in my opinion the seio isn't enough.

6. Mc

Mc

This is the AC adapter

[​IMG]

These are the plugs on the little uv box plug black into the ac adapter and blue into the cord that goes into the tank.
    [​IMG]

This is the plug that goes into the tank attached to the uv in the return pump chamber
    [​IMG]

7. NickW

NickW Thread Starter

Thanks for the pics!

Think i know what the problem is, i have the ac adapter (picture 1) and the blue plug that goes into the tank to the UV in the return pump chamber (picture 3), i dont have the plugs in picture 2:eek:
    Is it possible to get these plugs from HiFi corp or something?

8. Mc

Mc

No I don't think so it should definately come with the tank. Heres a beter pic. If you don't have it its not the end of the world Im not running mine and it hasn't been a problem there are alot of debates as to the effectiveness of this kind of uv device search the forums you will see what I mean.

[​IMG]

9. NickW

NickW Thread Starter

OK cool, thanks alot, will search the box again later. Thank you so much for your help, but will have a look on the forums to see if its worth running the light.

Will post some pics of the tank tonight.

Today is Day 1 of the cycle.

Do you have any pics of your tank on the site? would live to see what other people have created in their tank.

Thanks again! :)

10. Mc

Mc

Click on the link in my sinature that says my tank.

11. NickW

NickW Thread Starter

Nice tank man!

I see you changed the lights, looks good!, one day when i have everything set up and so on, might consider changing the lights? do you reccomend adding more LED's and removing one of the tubes?

12. Mc

Mc

If you a bit about electronics and don't mind taking on a diy job it really is an awesome mod for this tank.

13. belindamotion

belindamotion Google Master

:welcometomasa2:to MASA...you should get rid of that Crushed Coral and get Aragonite...unless it's the very fine Crushed Coral...

14. NickW

NickW Thread Starter

Hi Belinda, thank you for the welcome message.

The crushed coral is rather fine, i would say +-1mm. Is that to course still? i will upload a pic later on the crushed coral.

15. NickW

NickW Thread Starter

First Tank Pictures

Hey guys,

Here are the first few pics of the tank,i added the live rock yesterday (about 8kg), is the layout fine? for good circulation etc?

Front view:

[​IMG]

Close up front view:

[​IMG]

Side View:

[​IMG]

Sorry for the bad quiality pics, they were taken with a cellphone.

Looking forward to your guys comments.

Thanks

16. Mc

Mc

1mm is fine I think the reason belinda says that is when most people refer to crushed coral they are talking about much coarser stone. I like what you have done so far, the live rock looks like really good quality stuff and your layout looks nice and open. One question it looks really unstable or is that just me? You dont wanna put lots of nice expensive coral on there and the whole think colapses and damages everything.:p Be patient with this tank you should know about the whole nitrogen cycle from your fresh water tanks but if you want to put coral in you need to wait even longer. I remember when I first started my tank and was waiting for it to cycle it was so interesting all the tiny little life that appeared.

17. Mc

Mc

Do you have any chemical filteration?

18. NickW

NickW Thread Starter

Hi Mc

The rocks are slightly unstable, but not so much that they would fall over. Do you suggest i re-arrange it to ensure 100% stability?

As for the chemical filtration, i dont have anything, the only stuff that is in the filter chambers (standard items) are the bio balls, ceramic rings and the carbon sponge and the protein skimmer and a few pieces are live rock that broke off the main pieces during transportation, what chemical filtration would you reccomend?

I am in no need to really rush the tank, i suppose its only day 2 of the cycle, i have an idea of the corals i want to keep and the fish. Not sure if they should be added in a certain order, probably add one or two fish/coral, every two weeks till i have what i want in the tank. But i will do some research on stocking a tank first.

At the moment i would like to have 3 clown fish and a cleaner shrimp with some easy to keep corals.

19. Mc

Mc

Three clown can be a problem they become territorial and will fight a lot your best bet if you want more than one is a mated pair. I think its good to put some chemical filteration in as you never know what gets into your water and with nanos you need every bit of filteration you can get. I would put some Phosgaurd in it has really helped me control phosphates and either chemi-pure or purigen, I have both but that not really necessary. As far as the rock goes that up to you if you are happy with it the way it is and don't want to move it I would suggest reinforcing it with something like aqua putty. A few easy to keep coral thats what I said and look at my tank now.:lol:

20. NickW

NickW Thread Starter

Thanks MC, will consider getting a mated pair.

As for the chemicals, must i start adding them now during the cycle or once the cycle has finnished and i want to add live stock?

Haha, but your tank really looks good man, some awesome corals!:thumbup:

21. Mc

Mc

I don't think it really matters you can add them now or in a week or two, it shouldn't have a negative effect on the cycle. I only put mine in after the cycle but that was because I didn't have them yet.

Recent Posts