First Sign of Life...!!!

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by belindamotion, 28 Jan 2011.

1. belindamotion

belindamotion Google Master

I just saw my first sign of life...!!:thumbup: It looks like the body of a Crab, but has tenticles and it's see-thru...and just walked across my "sand" to another Live Rock...:p What is this little thing and is it a good thing or a bad thing in my Tank..it's about 1cm in length, tenticles stretched out...maybe 1 and a half...:eek:

http://www.marineaquariumsa.com/picture.php?albumid=176&pictureid=1113

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

No idea what that could be, really difficult to make out anything in the photo, possibly a mini brittle starfish?

4. crispin

crispin

that is a tough id to do from that pic, but great to hear you have life starting to move around :) congrats its always so exciting when things start happening

5. belindamotion

belindamotion Thread Starter Google Master

Yes Viper357...I got some help identifying my Little Brittle Starfish...as you know my Tank is 5days old...! Bought more Live Rock yesterday afternoon and few hours later "Adam":lol: popped up...!!! Still need to find out if I have to feed him or will my Live Rock have any "nummies" in them to feed him:blush: If I do end up feeding him, how much(half a teaspoon?) and how many times(twise a day?):confused1:...I'm so clueless at this stage...I was hoping to gain some knowledge before "animals" end up in my Tank:blush:...I had no intention of putting Fish or anything in my Tank until I stopped being clueless and now this unplanned "pregnancy" landed in my Tank :dft004:...but man, in the end I'm so excited !!!!!

Last edited: 29 Jan 2011
  6. KeeganP

KeeganP

:rofl:

belindamotion, you certainly have a good choice of words... I doubt you will need to feed him that much, If he does survive, its going to be with the bit of food he picks up from the floor here and there, if you leave to much food in your tank its going to cause an increase of nitrates which is not good. I'd say feed twice a week, about half a teaspoon of brine shrimp at night. (when lights out)

7. belindamotion

Keegnap..you've come to my rescue again...!!!thanksani..is frozen Brine Shrimp also ok?..:blush:...do I then first thaw out..:confused1:

8. crispin

crispin

no no, dont feed it, youll just make the cycles that much worse. a microstar will forage and garther stuff off the LR and will find plenty enough on its own for now.
    :)

9. KeeganP

KeeganP

Okie, well I guess you don't gota feed then :)

10. belindamotion

Ok thanks..I won't feed him:blush:... but you are aware that it's a brand spanking new Tank? One of those "plug in and play" jobbies...I haven't even broken it in yet..?!:lol: I assume that I'm probably looking at a few weeks before Coral goes in, so it's safe to assume that my LR will supply enough food..:thumbup:

Last edited: 29 Jan 2011
  11. Falcon

Falcon

I agree with crispin let it be,plenty for him to eat out of the live rock.

Recent Posts