First setup

Reaction score
Hi guys. This is my first marine setup. Ive visted a lot as a stalker. Still new and obviously dumb. When i first setup the aquarium i waited 5 days trying to get all levels as close to normal as possible. The rocks i scaled from a guys shed. Been laying there for about a month. The substrate is brand spanking new. After the on my 6th day i started with the Red Sea Reef mature Pro Kit. I followed e erything to the book. Im currently on day 7 of the program. According to the leaflet i was suppose to get algae and diato. Blooms starting from day 4. Still no bloom. My temp is at 24.5 to 25.2, Ph at 8.1, nitrate and nitrite used to be very high but is gradually lowering every day. Salinity is at 1.025 each day. I did my 5% water change with Red Sea Salt. Im suppose to ad my first CUC this coming saterday which is then day 10. But heres my dilemma, can or should i add the CUC if i had no bloom. I feel very uncomfortable putting the little criiters in there when it clearly feels like theyve got nothing to graze on. Im looking at a sand filter starfish as my first cuc or maybe a bristle starfish?

20160302_193409.jpg

20160302_193355.jpg

20160302_193345.jpg

20160302_193307.jpg

20160302_193248.jpg

masahello

Generally what stands on the bottle is a guideline. The cycling process differs from tank to tank. Try and see if you can get a piece of live rock or sand from an existing setup to help seed your tank with a variety of bacteria. I think your tank still needs to go through the "algae bloom" stage. Maybe place a piece of hake in the tank and let it dissolve on it's own time.

As for CUC, once your tank is ready rather look at hermit crabs and snails first. A sand sifting star fish can only come in a bit later once the tank has ran a little bit, mine I only got after 4 or 5 months.

So i recon I&J is not recommended? How big a piece do i need to chuck in since the tank is only 70L. Will a cup full of sand help?

Hi, yes will organise a cup of sand and then sommer chuck in a piece of hake. Thanx for the help. I will keep you posted

Check @dobby027 thread, he used a piece of hake to aid with his cycle. Here is the link Setup so far
nice read. I will definitely try some hake. Ive got a 300l boyu that i wanted to convert but decided starting off small would be the best option as i kept on hearing how expensive and time consuming it is blah blah blah., but, if i only knew then what i know now i could've saved at least an arm. i also noted white specs starting to form on the silicone parts of the tank. is it good or bad?

On each side of the tank on silicone is white specs also some yellow here and there. Nothing anywhere else. Is this a good or bad thing?

20160303_065238.jpg

20160303_065144.jpg

:welcome6:

The fist thing you need to do is replace the crushed coral substrate with Sand ( Read up what the cons are for using Crushed coral)
Use Seachem Stability to speed up the cycle prossess, but that also takes around 6 week. If your Ammonia and Nitrite both test Zero then you can add a hermit and snail.

How big is your tank? Sand sifting starfish needs large expanse of sand to truly survive. I will rather go with hermits first. Later some snails as you get growth on the glass panels and rocks.

Is this a secondhand tank? Those white spots looks like old snail eggs.

:welcome6:

The fist thing you need to do is replace the crushed coral substrate with Sand ( Read up what the cons are for using Crushed coral)
Use Seachem Stability to speed up the cycle prossess, but that also takes around 6 week. If your Ammonia and Nitrite both test Zero then you can add a hermit and snail.
Im currently using Red Sea Reef Mature kit. I will let the duration of the coarse cycle. Its only 22 days to go lol
The white spots have got some furry look to it. Like rot or something

Last edited:
How big is your tank? Sand sifting starfish needs large expanse of sand to truly survive. I will rather go with hermits first. Later some snails as you get growth on the glass panels and rocks.

Is this a secondhand tank? Those white spots looks like old snail eggs.

No its brand new. When i got it i clean it with diluted white vinegar and then rinsed with RO water and have it dried completely then only did i had all the new stuff. As you can see from previous upload the rock i got from a dude whose aquarium died. The rocks are about a month old. I just rinsed tme from dust and debris. Theres still some dead tubworms and stuff atta hed that i decided to leave as it may help with maturing the tank. Regarding the starfish i did some research and it looks like a no no on that 70l tank ive got. Will add a hermit and a snail. Leaving for easter for a week. When i get back i will try and get some life going

As @BAD FISH said, crushed coral is not ideal for a sand bed as it tends to become a detris trap but your system isn't that large so regular gravel vacumming should keep it in check. It's good starting off small as you get to learn all the ins and outs of reefing and if you decide to upgrade then you have a better picture of what is needed and what to do.

Thats completely true. I willdo a light gravel vac once month with 5% water changes every week. I decided on the crushed coral as it tends to keep more chow for the cuc but on the other hand it will also raise unnecessary nitrate and amonia levels. Its really stressful but satisfying at the same time. I will keep this tiny tank for this year then next year upgrade to a bigger system. I fugured 100g would be more than enough to keep colourful corals. I have this fetish for corals but mostly the soft ones.

I wouldn't worry about the those white spots for now as it is early days on your setup. It's good if you are planning to take your time, patience is key in this hobby.
Can i atleast clear it from the tank or do i need them to sit for now. Sorry for the 20 questions.

Nah, you can leave them. It will 10 to 1 disappear over time. With this hobby the initial setup is the most expensive, the day to day running of it is not. It all depends on how complicated you make it for your self. You want this as a hobby not a chore.

Great. I will leave them be. I bought test kits worth almost 4k. I could really kick myself in the back of the head. But hey.... the only test kits ive used the most is KH, nitrate, nitrite, magnesium and ph. Also use the refractometer daily. Could've safed tons. But "wie nie leer nie kom nie deur nie"

Back
Top Bottom