First Marine Tank

Discussion in 'New Members' started by Wildcatct, 15 Feb 2016.

1. Wildcatct

Wildcatct

Hi all

been a member for some time now have had tropical tanks for a while.

Have now ventured into marine have read a lot of threads for advice and guidance also have had some great advice from some of my Cape town friends.

the tank is a 1.2 m started over December first step was cycle which went well i have really been going slow.

started with some Kenya trees donated by a friend they have grown well add some other odds small frags.

after about 7 weeks added my first 2 fish clown and a yellow tail damsel which have been very happy clown takes food from my fingers have them on flake and frozen as a treat.

last week bought my first neni (green bubble tip) and sand shifting starfish.

still messing with rock placement bought some made rock on the weekend which is in the sump for now also added some more T5 lights haven't taken any pictures with my daylights on will have to do some.

20160117_212911[1].jpg IMG-20160207-WA0029[1].jpg

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. BAD FISH

BAD FISH

It is way to early for a nenni in your tank.

4. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

Welcome. :) Nice looking tank.
    Unfortunately these two creatures do require very mature tanks, especially the starfish, I would strongly advise providing food for the starfish as they do require large productive sandbeds in order to get their food, as your tank is so new there will be no food in your sand for the starfish to feed on. Please do some reading up on it and see what and how you can feed it until your tank is able to sustain it on it's own. :) Also feed the anemone to give it a fighting chance, green bubble tips are probably once of the more forgiving species so you may be ok with it, but you will have to monitor it for obvious stress signs and may have to remove it if it starts going downhill otherwise it will die and pollute your tank causing big problems. Try feed it very small pieces of lancefish every 3 or 4 days. Good luck with the tank and keep posting updates. :)

5. EFJ

EFJ MASA Contributor

Hi and welcome. Once the marine bug bites you are stuck with it for life. I agree with @viper357 regarding your nennie and starfish. The number one important thing to this being a successful hobby is patience, patience and more patience. Give us a low down on your system and more pics is always a plus. Also a air stone is not necessary in the tank, it will just add more salt creep on the top of your tank. Don't be afraid to ask questions, we are all here to help.:thumbup:

6. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Hello and welcome @Wildcatct

is that an airstone at the back? If yes, the bubbles will create a lot of salt spray and salt creep running down the back of the tank. Only place where an airstone is used in a marine setup is when you do use orca cubes. But that would be in your sump.

7. Wildcatct

Wildcatct Thread Starter

hi all
    thanks for all the input and yes i am feeding lance fish the air stone has been removed some time ago the pictures attached where in the first week.

while the tank was cycling and had a canister filter on the system while the sump was being tested for leaks.

the new additions have been in for a week or so and they are very active currently feeding 1/2 a lance every 4-5 days as recommended(do you agree with the 4-5 days) need to make sure im not being fed misinformation from the person who advised me.

thanks again happy reefing

8. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

a very small piece lance fish once a week.
    Mouth size is big enough.

Recent Posts