First Marine Tank (going with a gumtree bargain)

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by jpvd007, 27 Jun 2016.

1. jpvd007

jpvd007

Okay so I joined this forum a few years back when I was thinking of getting my 4 foot salty, it had discus in it at the time and now after 2 international moves and lots of pondering I could not turn down the itchy feeling to look on the local gumtree listings for a tank and found a bargain of a tank that almost has everything I need to get started.

I now live out side of SA and have been for the last 4 years if you can call Namibia outside SA some don't, anyway now I am totally off the African continent and in Australia. One of the reasons I have chosen to go salty is the fact that we are at the cost and that Marine down were I am in Dunsbourgh in the South West of Aus it is cheaper than what I am use to which was discus.

Right so lets get to it, here are some pics of what I picked up from a guy on gumtree, he claimed to have been running a Reef tank and I would like to do the same. I will post pics of what I got and would like some advice from you guys please as to how to set this up and other stuff.

J11A9033.JPG
    so this is the stand with the sump on top at the moment. The sump is made of a black perspex type plastic. I am going to paint the inside of the stand with a apoxy anti black paint is this a goo idea for wood protection against the salt) also doing the outside of the stand with white gloss enamel.

J11A9014.JPG
    The Tank is a 4 and a half foot 10mm glass tank. I am thinking of changing the pipe over flow system to a internal glass overflow. (any suggestions) pic of existing pipe system below.

J11A9023.JPG

J11A9027.JPG

the partitions of the sump do not look like the refugiam setups I have bean investigating on the web and anyone till me what kind of set up this is? there are 2 skimmers that go in here.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

that overflow, can work but it is ugly. You can easily fit an internal overflow box, or even a skinny overflow to save some space.

Sump looks like an under, over, under and then lastly over design, inlet / first chamber on the left. Am I right?

Is the sump a glass box that got painted black?

4. jpvd007

jpvd007 Thread Starter

Hi Riaan

The overflow is ugly I know that and the fact it seems to work loose and I don't want that headache every 5 min, I like your idea of a skinny overflow thanks.

The sump is made of a black plastic of sorts, more flexible than acrylic with the joins some kind of plastic weld that looks like silicone. All the chambers are over excepts the last one on the right.

5. ShLiMi333

ShLiMi333

See if you can get Plastidip. I used it to seal off all holes i cut into wood and its briliant. a bit expensive but brilliant.
    Heres the link mate https://www.plastidip.net.au/

6. ShLiMi333

ShLiMi333

and while youre at it if youve got some left over you can pimp yo ride

7. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

I doubt you would be able to cut out the dividers and where needed move them. At the moment they do also act as braces, preventing the sump from bowing. The first chamber, the one on the right, would have been the place to use filter socks. Second would have been the skimmer chamber. Not sure what was in 3 and 4. 3 looks like it had some media in it, sand, coral rubble or something similar. Is the pipe in there connected to the divider? sucking in water from the right?

ShLiMi333 likes this.
  8. jpvd007

jpvd007 Thread Starter

image.jpeg

Well one of the partitions was used to grow some plant matter as this light came with for the sump.

9. ShLiMi333

ShLiMi333

Have you considered DIYing your own sump? Its really an inexpensive build plus you can have the amount of chambers you want. Or, get in contact with the seller and inquire what all those chambers were used for. I think RiaanP covered all of the normal uses in anyways.

10. jpvd007

jpvd007 Thread Starter

There are 2 filter socks one is 25 micron and the other 1 micron, the sump only has one pipe coming down from the tank into the sump so I have a choice of two. I was thinking the 25 would not get clogged as quick as the one micron. I also see in some you tube posts that some guys don't like using filter socks for that reason of clogging.

11. jpvd007

jpvd007 Thread Starter

image.jpeg image.jpeg

12. jpvd007

jpvd007 Thread Starter

Can you guys tell me what blue paint one uses for the back of the tank?

13. ShLiMi333

ShLiMi333

use them. I mean. how many time gets wasted if you rinse once a week? 5 minutes max. It will also prolong the date you have to clean sump :cheers2:

jpvd007 likes this.
  14. jpvd007

jpvd007 Thread Starter

Okay so the primer is on well the first layer at least, next is some new hinges that are not so rusted and epoxy the ones that still look good. here you can see the side door that the sump slides in to so as to fit a bigger sump that fills the cabinet. J11A9044.JPG J11A9046.JPG J11A9048.JPG J11A9047.JPG

15. jpvd007

jpvd007 Thread Starter

J11A9237.JPG

J11A9236.JPG
    So I have got all the plumbing off and it seems the previous owner before the guy I got it from was a blue back round kind of guy.

J11A9241.JPG

I have been toying with the over flow box and came up with this, I am trying to keep the size down hence the dogleg shape, any comments welcome.

J11A9245.JPG
    J11A9252.JPG

16. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

I don't see any reason why it shouldn't work.

17. jpvd007

jpvd007 Thread Starter

I have gone with a black back round and put the first layer on this evening and will do the next one in the morning. I was first thinking of doing it blue and then was looking at the LFS and they had both black and blue back round tanks an I think the fish colors pop out better on black. I am using a non toxic acrylic paint that my kids paint with as after some research it seems the stuff to go with.

J11A9460.JPG J11A9461.JPG

I also started curing my rocks and coral today in a drum with sea water I got from the beach, as I have been told from the local guys I am keeping the lid on to keep the light out to restrict the sunlight to prevent algae growth. I do have a question as to the sea water and the life forms that is in the water itself. How much is in sea water and will it be detrimental to the tank? Also I put two air stones at the bottom, is adding air to this a good idea.

J11A9458.JPG
    J11A9454.JPG

18. Vleis Visagie

Vleis Visagie

Some cool looking rocks on top there.

19. jpvd007

jpvd007 Thread Starter

Hi Riaan
    Apologies for the late response to you pipe question, the pipe you are seeing in the sump are the connection pipes for the back of the tank in and outlet they were just in the sump when I took the pick.

I saw your over flow in your TOTM winning thread and was wondering if you could tell me some more about that kind and if you have experienced any problems with this style of over flow?

Regards

20. jpvd007

jpvd007 Thread Starter

Ya thanks they are interesting and there are some great flat ones in there too, the previous guy had some great corals growing and most of the skeletons have great shape, I can't wait to scape this tank.

Vleis Visagie likes this.
  21. jpvd007

jpvd007 Thread Starter

@viper357

Thanks now I just need to work out how deep to make it, if I should go for just the bulk head flush on the side or put a 90 elbow fasting down but that will make the over flow box very deep.

Recent Posts