First Marine Setup

So as I was checking my tank out just before lights out, I saw my pajama cardinal looked a bit awkward, but then saw he has actually got eggs in his mouth. Was quite cool to see. Has anyone had success with raising them? From what I have read, they not as easy as the banggai cardinal to raise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@jacohall I've pm you some details

@EFJ mine did it alot aswell. Thinking it might be due to starvation. If I had to try again I'd put the male in a different tank alone and fatten him up for 2 months then add the female and hope for the best

Quick video of the male with the eggs. I'm figuring they will probably have a better chance in my refugium. Although there are some big amphipods that will probably eat the fry.

Caught my clowns in the act just now!! They are laying eggs for the fist time!!!! This is exciting! First the pajama cardinals now my clowns!!

So last week was quite a rough week for my tank. Lost my 2 breeding cardinals, 2 Chromis, my orchid dottyback and my cleaner shrimp. Still can't figure out why. Didn't add anything or pick up nitrites or ammonia in the tests. So it's still a mystery. Did a water change, chucked in some prime and put some new carbon in and things recovered
6ab8df87e86e5112b2b457145accf371.jpg
fd8688f7e514759d154d19e143e701de.jpg
c1857ed7c6e304950a1889a81748c56f.jpg
luckily. There were a couple of days just after where the fish were breathing quite heavily, but it was such a busy week for me to try and do anything.

And then on top of that, I forgot my timer in the on permantly position and i was away for the weekend. My housemate looking after the tank thought it was supposed to be like that so didn't do anything. So my tank got full light from Friday till Monday evening when I got back. All my coralline on my rock became a light pink and the little bit of cyano I had actually disappeared. The front glass was a mess but fortunately everything survived and my colors on my corals actually look great now.

So after a couple of days of recovery and some good cleaning, my tank is actually looking pretty good. So I thought I'd share some pics.

1045fc96d0ae182d5a146ab5b335861a.jpg

ca2e9ce3e9465785622293425f50e698.jpg

Was fixing a spelling error and then added more photos on tapatalk and didn't realize they were in the text.

I've noticed weird little black things burrowing into my finger leather and causing it not to open up as much any more. Any idea what they can be?

b1027a1489f360489832e06d6406819b.jpg

The newest member in the tank:
2884c3ba4df0ccbc00593cac7bbea813.jpg

Just love the fox face. Little bit of a drama queen though.

Haven't added a new fish for a while! Took my crushed shell out over the holidays and added aragonite. Was such a mission, had to drain everything! But luckily didn't lose anything in the process! Did a rescape while I was at it! Looks so much nicer with the white substrate!

53e4f000c0662e8b76037417dcbcc141.jpg

Planning on adding 1 or 2 more fish soon. Just undecided on what. Currently have 2x clowns, 2x Chromis, lawnmower Blenny, one spot foxface, green clown goby, and fire shrimp.

Looking at maybe a wrasse of some kind, and maybe a Tomini Tang.

Finally saw this little porcelain crab for the first time since i put him in 2 weeks ago. It comes out to filter feed when I feed my corals.

8aa22ff3e5706a00ee95148bbca8303c.jpg

Last edited:
Looking good Jaco what you feeding the corals that causes this guy to come out and feast even at these hours of the evening haha?

Quite enjoy the leopard wrasse if you still looking to add a wrasse provided that you have some pods for it to eat.

I feed Hikari Coralific Delite. Only started feeding my corals about a month ago, so will see how they like it.

I have considered the leopard wrasse. Only seen one in the shops in PE though and he was with some bad looking fish, so I gave that one a skip. And since I swooped out my sandbed I see less pods than before, so will give it some time to get some life again. But my refugium is packed with pods.

Good luck with that ! Squirt and go feedings probably the easiest where you you just mix some tank water with it and feed in the area of the coral or do you feed directly to their mouths?

They really awesome wrasse imo but like you said just give your system a little time to build some pods up. I miss this little guy...

downloadfile-1.jpg

I do it the squirt and go way. How easy are they to get onto frozen food?
Unfortunately I never got the chance to get it onto frozen foods as it sadly passed on from an ammonia spike. Perhaps we will have someone else share some light on the difficulty of getting them onto frozen foods.

Last edited:
Pics of my refugium.

75d18007f1ad40b8f436c7be89030fcd.jpg
Refug is looking good theres bound to be lots of critters in there! Its always a nice pass time to sit and see how many there is.

Back
Top Bottom