First Marine Project

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by BIGJOHN, 9 Jul 2009.

1. BIGJOHN

BIGJOHN

HI GUYS

Thanks for all the welcoming awesome forum reposting this as I think there has been many confusions over my tank so I will rather do it this way here is my tank and sump size

Tank 200L by 75W by 80H
    Sump 144L by 52W by 47H

Hopefully I measured right but it looks just about perfect I went for this size because bigger is better not realising the cost involved for equipment. Here I have first pics of the sump will have of tank end of month it is a second hand tank I got through LANZO many thanks to him and Shaun that I bought it from.

So now I would like advice please what equipment to buy and what not to buy also I am going to buy bit by bit so what should I buy first and then in order till last.

I am starting off with FISH ONLY then later on moving over and putting in all kinds of other LIVESTOCK not sure yet need to check still which goes with which fish without any problems.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. crispin

crispin

so where is a pic of this beast or dont you ahve a wide angle lense? :)

4. BIGJOHN

BIGJOHN Thread Starter

LOL it is coming dude you seen it on previous posts but now strugling to resize stupid image im a IT technician not a Photographer :yeahdude:

5. clinton stanford

clinton stanford

sounds great BigJohn:thumbup: nice size tank.i think your skimmer would be your most important buy.it might be the most expensive peice of equipment you will buy depending on what size skimmer you get and wich make.the bigger your skimmer the better.i started bye buying the expensive equipment first just to get the worst out of the way:lol: and then the rest.oh and there will be lots of odds and ends that you will need and you will be amazed how much they all ad up to.but in the end its worth it.patciance is what you need and lots of it.try and do things 100% from the start and it will save you alot of money and you wont havto do things over again wich will save you alot of work and time;)
    i have been working on my tank for about five months now and it is still not up and running.it all comes down to correct planing.

looking forward to the pics:)
    good luck:thumbup:

6. BIGJOHN

BIGJOHN Thread Starter

Here we go hope it comes out right[​IMG]

7. BIGJOHN

BIGJOHN Thread Starter

[​IMG]

8. LOONZ

LOONZ

Watsup Ppl, Thanks For All Advice, Also Think Getting Big Most Expensive Equipment Is Better. I Rather Buy Quality Before I Buy Cheap Stuff That Break In Few Months

9. BIGJOHN

BIGJOHN Thread Starter

Thanks Clinton gona get the best for the cash I can get saved up even if it is going to take me ages to finish rathere have a awesome tank then a half done job

sweet

10. clinton stanford

clinton stanford

no probs bigjohn:) having a marine tank is alot of fun but also alot of hard work.its also a investment.take your time and try get the best you can for your system.it will be best for your system and for your pocket;)

masa is a awesome forum i have learned a hell of alot here.the people are all very helpfull here and will help you get a good start.dont be shy to ask for advice.

cheers:)

11. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Great BigJohn. Looking forward to seeing this progress! ;)

Just take it slow. You will, over time, be able to afford all the awesome kit.
    To start off with, and during the cycle time (the longer this is, the better), you ONLY need the tank, a little bit of water flow, a DSB, and some live rock and base rock (bio-rock).

You can get the awesome skimmer, awesome lighting, and huge power-heads, later on.

You also need testing kits in the beginning...
    Good luck mate!

12. BIGJOHN

BIGJOHN Thread Starter

Sweet Jacque true can save up and buy awesome stuff later if I get my tank and sump cleanded out now and all together for how long can it circulate till I will have to put something in it

I already purchused 2 heaters and 2 pumps for inside the tank and a return pump from sump also salt 20KG if im not mistaken instant ocean white box with a clown fish on it

Bought all the stuff before joining this forum stupid from the LFS before researching it all

I am adding the pic again of the empty tank once it is setup hopefully not causing confusion as I got it second hand and needs some cleaning will post the picture of how it looks now at end of month

Sweet

[​IMG]

13. clinton stanford

clinton stanford

wow thats a awesome setup man:thumbup: going to look good once everything is up and running:)

keep us posted.

14. riyadhessa

riyadhessa

Wow that is one stunning looking tank...

15. BIGJOHN

BIGJOHN Thread Starter

LOL stunning but gona make my BANK ACCOUNT empty taking it slow and building it up as I get extra jobs LOL IT business don't pay well at all so please keep the advice coming this is my first time in marine had many tropic tanks before will keep the pics coming as I move on

sweet

16. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

BigJohn - the cycling takes anything up to 3 months.... So, you will/should have plenty time to start getting other "stuff". The first big thing to save up for, is the BIG skimmer. Look at ReefTek, ReefOctopus or Bubble Magus. They are all very good value for money.

Perhaps you can get one of these 2nd hand. I saw a BM-260 (Bubble Magus - which is which I use - rated for 1500 litres), on Gumtree, for R3500.
    So - you can get a really decent skimmer, between R3000 and R5000....

Then, after that, you can start saving up for the best lighting unit - you can also DIY a lighting unit if you want.

17. BIGJOHN

BIGJOHN Thread Starter

Thanks dude what testing kits do I need when starting up and how regular tests done and water changes

Please also advice on LR how much for that size tank and when to put it in and is it possible to go half bio rock because of the price of LR

Know im asking a lot but wona do it perfect first time round on that sump don't know if the chambers are to clear but if you can please advice what to put in what chamber e.g. DSB and all the other filtering stuff want to put in sump skimmer in first chamber is this good idea??

18. FransSny

FransSny

Hi John

that looks like a nice tank

Test kits...... (you will get a myriad of answers), I personally prefer Tropic Marin or Elos Kits. Look at the sponsors forums for some idea on prices .

Tests and WC ( at least 10 % - 15 %) should be done weekly (my opinion), although some have been able to go for longer without WC .

As for LR look on the home page under calculators....lots of cool tools to use & plan your system !

19. BIGJOHN

BIGJOHN Thread Starter

I also think it gona be nice once it done thanks for advice on test kits and water changes this might sound stupid but every water change I do must be with RO water and salt added to it

thanks for the info on calculators didn't even know the forum had them

awesome well done MASA

20. FransSny

FransSny

Top up must be done with RO (NOT SALT)

Water changes are done with RO, brought to the right salinity & temp

Hope this answeres your question

21. BIGJOHN

BIGJOHN Thread Starter

Thanks man answers it perfectly got lots to learn

Recent Posts