Fires all around...

Discussion in 'Power cuts' started by Dlaria, 6 Sep 2011.

1. Dlaria

Dlaria

There are quite a few fires around our area. If we have to evacuate, we'll have to cut off the power, before we go. :(

Is there anything I can do to help the fish while we're gone, if we have to go? I don't have a battery backup.

http://ticc.tamu.edu/Response/FireActivity/

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. chikaboo

chikaboo

If you evacuate .... what period would you be gone for?

4. Anita

Anita Sponsor

Power Cuts

Did you see the thread about the Power Outages on the sponser forum? :thumbup:
    Anita

butcherman likes this.
  5. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

@Dlaria, i assume you cannot leave the property to go shopping, but a battery operated pump for back up would be the cheapest..

difficult times.. but if yourv tank isnt stocked too heavily i wold say things would be ok.. my tank recently managed through a 12 hour power outage but i would consider my system lightly stocked at present..

hoping that controll is gained of the fire and there is no need for evacuation..

wishing you the best...

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  6. 2balive

2balive

For the future you could get a DC pump linked to a battery (Tunes got a great auto switch one) and add a small solar charge unit to it.

See there is some very cheap ones on the market now that should be able to charge enough during the day to get you through most of the night.

Also could add a timer to the mix and let the pump only run 30m every hour, should give the batteries some time to recover and improve your changes of getting through the night.

Theoretically it should be able to keep at least one small pump running indefinitely, if intermittently.

7. hermie

hermie

Hi Dlaria, 2 weeks ago we had a power outage of 6hrs, followed the next day by 12hrs straight. Each time we put 2 battery operated airstones in the DT and 1 in the sump with our macroalgae and closed all the doors and windows to reduce temperature loss. I'm happy to report that all our corals and fish were perfectly fine. But like others have suggested, maybe look into getting a UPS or something to at least keep flow going through your system, especially if you will have to evacuate for several days.

8. mupwi

mupwi

I would say if you need to evacuate for a prolonged tome I would suggest putting in a ups with the essential loads on it with an extended battery and maby solar panels or wind generator to top up the batterys

9. Dlaria

Dlaria Thread Starter

Thanks. We're ok so far. I'll look into a battery backup.

10. Reef Maniac

Reef Maniac MASA Contributor

That's good to hear - those fires are SCARY.

In a case like yours, which would rate as a life threatening disaster, I don't think that there is much more that you could do other than to try to ensure some water circulation (preferably by battery driven air pumps or power heads).

It is MUCH more important to save yourself and your family, so don't take chances trying to protect the tank!

Hennie

lIghty, Keanan and leslie hempel like this.
Recent Posts