firecracker shrimp died - why?

Reaction score
Hi Guys

I introduced a fire cracker shrimp to my tank last week (after 7 weeks of cycling).

He seemed a happy little fellow and was eating healthy. Even went for frozen food that I am feeding goby with.

Woke up this morning to find him dead in the tank.

Any suggestions as to what I did wrong??

Reaction score
How long did you take to acclimatize before adding to your tank ?

Did you have any idea of the LFS.s water parameters ?

Reaction score
How long did you take to acclimatize before adding to your tank ?

Did you have any idea of the LFS.s water parameters ?
3 hours acclimatization - 1.5 hours to get temp right. Then another 1.5 hours adding small amounts of water to existing water every 10 - 20 mins. Removed him from that water into my tank.

not sure what LFS water parameters were.

Neil H

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Not to sound funny, but are you sure it is dead, and has not just shed its exoskeleton??? The first time my shrimp shed its skin, my wife came to me very upset saying that out new hrimp was dead....

Reaction score
Not to sound funny, but are you sure it is dead, and has not just shed its exoskeleton??? The first time my shrimp shed its skin, my wife came to me very upset saying that out new hrimp was dead....

I hope not............ (he is flushed down the toilet already :whistling:)

How do you know it shed it's exoskeleton? How long before they come right again?

This little fellow was lifeless this morning and did not even move when I put food in the tank (he would normally go crazy to get some). Even when I picked him, up was limp and lifeless.......

Reaction score
I don't believe you need to worry as it was only the skeleton you flushed IMO! Sometimes they go into hiding after shedding as their new skeleton is still too soft to offer any protection. This will happen on a regular basis as their skin cannot grow with them and they then need to shed their skin in order to grow and then they grow a new one after shedding. Just take a look between you're rocks if you don't spot him. I almost had a heart attack when my cleaner shed for the first time, I proceeded to flush him only to see him a few minutes later hiding between some rocks! I was like WTF? Where did the extra cleaner come from?:lol:

Last edited:
Reaction score
If he did indeed shed you need not worry as it was only the skeleton you just flushed then! Sometimes they go into hiding after shedding as their new skeleton is still too soft to offer any protection. This will happen on a regular basis as their skin cannot grow with them and they then need to shed their skin in order to grow and then they grow a new one after shedding. Just take a look between you're rocks if you don't spot him. I almost had a heart attack when my cleaner shed for the first time, I proceeded to flush him only to see him a few minutes later hiding between some rocks! I was like WTF? Where did the extra cleaner come from?:lol:

OK, I will keep an eye out for him................

But I am pretty sure if was the actual shrimp I flushed...... He was fully intact. Feelers and all.

Will keep forum posted.

Alan

Admin
Reaction score
OK, I will keep an eye out for him................

But I am pretty sure if was the actual shrimp I flushed...... He was fully intact. Feelers and all.
Really sounds like he shed, when they shed they shed feelers, eyes, mouth parts, etc. really looks like a complete shrimp.

Reaction score
the shedded skin is normally exactly like a live one, except, its hollow. what you flushed, was it hollow like or "meaty"?
Posted via Mobile Device

Reaction score
the shedded skin is normally exactly like a live one, except, its hollow. what you flushed, was it hollow like or "meaty"?
Posted via Mobile Device
Couldn't tell you - did not take any notice. Until a couple of hours ago, I did not even know that shrimps shed their skin......

Tobes

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Some info for you Peanut:

When moving shrimps between aquariums, drip acclimation is the best practise. As long as the drip rate is slow and the temp is maintained steadily. Once shrimp have been acclimated to a system, pay special attention to evaporation top-off and water changes, as sudden changes in salinity can be stressful or fatal. As with crabs and other crustaceans, iodine is necessary for most shelled invertebrates to achieve successful molting(shedding).
Although iodine does not stay in solution very long (weekly water changes is not enough to keep a stable level), many foods are rich in this element, and small daily feedings of krill and the like will adequately support ecdysis (shedding of exoskeleton). It is recommended that you leave the shed, nutritious molts of shrimp in the aquarium for them or other creatures to consume. Freshly molted shrimp are quite soft bodied and vulnerable to predation for several days while they swell with water and their new shell hardens. During these brief reclusive periods, missing or damaged parts of a shrimp can be regenerated with enough successive molts.

Hope it helps :wave2:

dallasg

Reaction score
it could be hours/days, remember this is natural instinct, they hide from predators as they are waiting for their protection/shell to start hardening

Reaction score
May I ask what is a fircracker shrimp ? Is this like a pistol shrimp ?

Tobes

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Maybe a fireshrimp (Lysmata debelius)? Also known as a blood shrimp...they're very expensive and highly prized cleaner shrimps.

Reaction score
Maybe a fireshrimp (Lysmata debelius)? Also known as a blood shrimp...they're very expensive and highly prized cleaner shrimps.
Yeah, have one, cool shrimp - but where did the firecracker description come from ?

dallasg

Reaction score
big claws?