Fire works

Discussion in 'The Sump' started by Mike, 9 Nov 2007.

1. Mike

Mike Retired Moderator

Viper, i take it you're bored again?:razz:

Fireworks go up mate;) ............and they were last week.:lol:

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Kanga

Kanga Retired Moderator MASA Contributor

Hehehe, Diwali tonight WeeMan:thumbup:

4. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

lol, the fireworks are for Diwali, google it, wiki it ;)

5. Mike

Mike Thread Starter Retired Moderator

Quite a few of the lads on Ultimate reef celebrate it too, have a good 'un guys

(fireworks stil go upwards though mate):whistling:

6. viper357

pfffft, up, down, left, right, they look pretty in all directions :D

7. Mike

Still reckon the would look prettiest going up:razz:

8. DragonReef

DragonReef

They look pretty, but sound terrible.

9. Shaun

Shaun Retired Moderator

Just turn the monitor upside down, yes does look better but very difficult to read.

10. Mike

Have a few beers it will all look ok:thumbup:

11. millepora

millepora

Sorry if I offend anyone, but fireworks should be banned. The amount of dead dogs at this time of the year is staggering, and I don’t believe it’s only the big bangs that cause dogs (and other animals) to freak out. The smaller bangs and the coloured lights in the sky send them around the bend as well.

12. Shaun

Shaun Retired Moderator

Just wondering what you can do about the thunder?
    Sorry but people always blame things (fireworks, guns etc) and not the assh@#2 that use them.

13. millepora

millepora

My dogs hardly batter an eyelid at lightning and thunder, but a few colourful pops and bangs in the sky freighting the crap out of them. Maybe their instincts tell them lightning and thunders is natural and therefore cool, but there is nothing natural about fireworks.
    Assholes are everywhere, you will never be able to convince everyone that something they like doing is bad and they must not do it. A lot of people couldn’t care a less what the consequences are as long as they are happy.
    But if enough people and organisations that did care, manage to put enough pressure somewhere, maybe positive steps can be taken.

14. Shaun

Shaun Retired Moderator

Hi Mille I see your point, but it does not happen all year round and It is part of some peoples heritage. Things that should be done are, dogs that wonder the street and y do people need more than 8 cats. We have a rabies problem and have you see the number of dogs dead on the roads. Cats kill our natural wildlife and what is the point of having lots of cats, they are never in your own yard and hunt for fun as they are feed.
    Trying to ban fireworks is like spending mils on changing road names and not using the money on more important things.
    "Speed kills" no it is the sudden stop at the end that kills.:p

15. seank

seank

I agree, fireworks form part of their festival celebration and some other cultures stuffed it up. If in controlled places I do not see a problem. Fireworks once a year kill dogs and nobody likes it but us as humans kills millions of other stuff on a daily basis. Most of us have some kind of poison (Incecticide etc) in our homes. What we see as insects-bad stuff- others see as nice creatures. As reefkeepers we buy stuff from people stripping the oceans reefs yet we say we do not that much damage. We all keep fish as pets and no one can say when they started their tanks they did not loose fish because of negligance (water parameters, tanks not being cycled long enough)- causing us to kill our very own pets- obiously not on purpose...

How many of the Corals, fish, birds, snakes,etc that these "farmers" capture/ catch survive the journey before they get to the Lfs or us. And this happens on a daily basis.

Diwali only happens once a year, so yes I think for this purpose alone - let them use fireworks as it is a small community. But using it for newyears in our culture- then No as the population using it is way too many. Then I'd suggest each town having a controlled fireworks show on the outskirts of town nowhere near pets as it does affect them

16. millepora

millepora

Guys you are basically trying to “make it all right/acceptable” by saying it only happens once a year so its no biggie if a couple hundred dogs die during the first week or so of November each year as I direct result of fireworks.

Yes there are terrible things that happen to other animals (cats, fish rats whatever) but what has that go to do with fireworks killing dogs?

The idea of only having a controlled fireworks display away from the residential areas would seam like a good one, however I go back to what I said, that there are many people that couldn’t care less, and will still do fireworks wherever the hell they like. So ban fireworks to the public, and have controlled displays.

I at no point indicated a specific group of people or occasion such as Diwali. In fact it is the white kids in our area that are mostly to blame. I’m talking specifically about fireworks whether it’s used for Guy Fawkes, Diwali, or just for fun.

What about some of the horror stories we sometimes hear. Two I can think of are, a guy throwing a big cracker for a dog to fetch and it exploding it it’s mouth, the dog later had to be put down. Or what about the one where a sick individual stuck a cracker up a dogs arse and blew half it’s insides to pieces, dog first suffered then died. Not to mention the numerous car accidents that the terrified run away dogs must cause.

I saw a beautiful fully grown Golden Labrador dead on the road at the beginning of this week, I also noticed the smashed gauge rail and skid marks, I hope the driver was not hurt.

17. Kanga

right behind you here uncle Mille

18. Mekaeel

Mekaeel Moderator MASA Contributor

you guys shouldve heared the fireworks here on the beach front last saturday.gotta be loudest firework display ive ever heared.the stuff was like dynamite and i think something went wrong,quite a few people were injured according to the papers.i just got into my parking bay when this was going on and a flaming ball landed behind the building and broke into pieces.even my balcony was filled up with ashes and stuff.theres gotta be a limit to it...

19. Galibore

Galibore Retired Moderator

Fully agree with Andrew! It should be banned and only a few very hard-to-come-by permits should be awarded to qualified companies that do professional fireworks displays. The so called fireworks you can by over the counter is in any case not worth looking at. Crackers are even worse. Even chilren can by those mini explosives.

It is staggering to see the number of dead animals on our roads this time of year.

IMO, fireworks are inhumane!

20. viper357

ooohhh, mille likes that position :razz:

21. Kanga

Watch out what right behind you Viper:p
    [​IMG]

Recent Posts