fire shrimp moulting

Discussion in 'Invertebrates' started by malooda, 16 Sep 2011.

1. malooda

malooda

hi

what do you do after a fire shrimp moults?

its old skin gets placed in places i cant reach and it ends up breaking up/leaving the rock it was attached to, some how or the other, eventually reaching the powerheads and then it gets shredded.
    is this fine?
    how often do they moult?

p.s the 1st time this happened i thought one of the old ones had given birth :whistling::):blush:

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Tremayn

Tremayn

Yo, I often just leave the shed skeleton in the tank, they are supposed to eat it to get calcium and stuff but I have yet to see them do this. If you can take the skeleton out, take it out else leave it. They molt when they get bigger so that depends on how much they eat and various conditions (parameters, health, aggro fish/inverts etc)

4. Helga

Helga

Congrats... Your shrimp are growing! Agree with Tremayn, if everything is cool in the tank they can moult quit often. I have 2 Red Fire shrimps and 2 Cleaner shrimps. And weekly I either get a skeleton of 1 of the red shrimps or the cleaner lying or floating around. I always removed it in the past but lately my Fox Face does that for me. (nicknamed Zuma! - cause all he does is hang about, eats, puts on weight and is not to clever -LOL) He eagerly chews up the whole skeleton. So no worries if you cannot get the skeleton out. Something in your tank will chow it!:thumbup:

Recent Posts