Fire Corals

Reaction score
Do we get Fire coral in South Africa ? I have never seen one at the LFS.

medium

Millepora alcicornis

Source: Advanced Aquarist's Online Magazine - Feature Article: West Atlantic Stony Corals, Part 3: Large Polyp and Fire Corals

I don't know about SA, but I've only seen them once or twice here in the states... I think they're not so common in the trade because, well, the name says it all!

In the US, if you're willing to rub a frag of it on your bare behind, they give it to you for free... (j/k! :p )

sweet i think i need to get one and let all the masa members leave my house with a fire ass:)

The fire corals aren't usually too bad, if you handle them carefully the don't hurt, if howerver you catch one with a bit of soft skin (inner forearm etc) then they sting like hell;)

Here's some interesting information from the web-site "Pet Education" (URL:Fire Coral (Millepora sp.))

And I quote:
"
The Fire Coral, also referred to as the Box or Stinging Coral, is often mistaken for a small polyp stony (SPS) coral because of its hard yellow exoskeleton. In fact, it is classified as a Hydrocoral and closely related to jellyfish. Its body is made up of calcium carbonate, and its beautiful fan-shaped branches are very fragile. In the wild, Fire Coral has a reputation for inflicting a painful sting on unsuspecting divers. It will also do the same in the reef aquarium, so use caution when handling.
The Fire Coral is highly adaptable, a hardy species, and aggressive towards other corals in the reef aquarium. Provide adequate space between it and other corals within the reef system. The Fire Coral prefers a high light level and strong water current within the aquarium, along with the addition of calcium, iodine, strontium, and other trace elements to the water.
It contains the symbiotic algae zooxanthellae which provide much of its nutritional requirements through photosynthesis. It will eagerly eat and benefit from supplemental foods such as micro-plankton offered on a weekly basis."

Back
Top Bottom