Finished modifying tank

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by Yvonne, 13 Feb 2011.

1. Yvonne

Yvonne

Finally finished modifications on the tank according to the advice from everyone thanks again :)

Does this look good to go now or do I need to change anything else to make it work better would appreciate any advice or opinions thanks :)

o[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

is this for your DSB? If it is, you will need much more sand and might also have to raise the blue pipe a bit.

4. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

looking good.

Need a end cap to end the pipe off, to force the water upwards to via the drilled holes.

And turn the pipe a bit, anti clockwise, so the holes face 11o'Clock position, (upwards but to the left). Maybe even make the downwards portion slightly shorter.

And DSB should be about 150mm deep. So yes, need more sand.

and the connection between the tanks? how did you do that part? I notice the skimmer part is a lot deeper, very deep, almost drowning the skimmer. See you lift it. Do you have enough space to remove the cup easily?

What is below the skimmer? looks like boxes - (bricks???? huh)

And the new compartment, next to skimmer. Will that be an extra DSB, or refugium?
    (I will go for DSB and cheato together - because its so deep.) Only isue might be to prevent light from shining into skimmer. Then the algae will grow inside it. Been there, done that.

5. Yvonne

Yvonne Thread Starter

Hey :)

will add more sand to the DSB.

The connection between the tanks is 50mm pipe and its all leveled so that it will flow till the return chamber.

Those are bricks and two tiles under the skimmer to lift it , can bricks not go in the water? Can only lift it that much otherwise won't be able to lift the cap on the skimmer anymore.

The plan is that the chamber next to the skimmer will be a refugium, still have to install a light above it and then the third chamber will be the DSB and then the return chamber. I hope that's fine or not?

6. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

I will not use bricks.

Maybe a stand made from eggcrate.

How deep is the water level in second chamber?

7. Yvonne

Yvonne Thread Starter

Where can i buy eggcrates?

It is just under 500mm.

8. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

some marine pet shops, but you must buy a sheet 1200*600mm. pity

I got some strips, 100mm wide by 450 to 580mm long. enough to cable tie together a stand.

500mm - nice, can do DSB and refugium together. DSB at 150mm and then you still have 350mm for cheato ball. My cheato is in a dedicated seperate 90L tank. thin layer 10mm or less sand at the bottom. Currently more than 50% of the tank. In my opinion, cheato needs at least 250 or more water depth.

9. Yvonne

Yvonne Thread Starter

Sorry but what is a cheato ? You mean you can put a refugium and a DSB in the same chamber ?? Because i thought that they are seperate things and that you can put a few little snails and a cucumber in the refugium and in the DSB that you can put some crabs and shrimp to live in there or whatever is better to be away from the main tank and corals and things ?

10. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

:)
    Cheato is a Macro algae. Or you can use Caulerpa - faster grower but can invade your tank and maybe go sexual - killing your tank. Cheato looks like those copper pot scrubbers our grandparents liked. Before the time of non-stick pots. But just green.

Most tanks do not have enough space, so the guys (and gals) end up using the space above the DSB (about 150mm - in my opinion it should be deeper) to house their cheato. Just need a light with reverse schedule to the display. Any CFL can work, from 20W to 35W.

And you do not want predator on DSB lifestock running around on your DSB. Shrimps, as in copepods and amphipods will start to live their, Small whitish shrimp creatures. And worms....

Last edited: 13 Feb 2011
  11. Yvonne

Yvonne Thread Starter

Oh algae :) So must i buy cheato or does it grow from the cycle ? And so this is fine layed out like this afterall, chamber 1 - skimmer, chamber 2 refugium, chamber 3 DSB and chamber 4 return. But i mustn't put anything into the DSB, only let little creatures come along in there naturally. And the refugium will get the bad algae right?

I have another question :blush:

I am getting 25kg live rock uncured and my brother got the same package last week. I saw in his LR there was lots of life, seastars, anenomes, little crabs, snails, etc.

Now his tank is going to cycle so i think mostly everything will die unfortunately.

So my question is :p Can I make a little tank up with a small filter and get water that's already established from the pet shop and then put all the little creatures in that tank so they survive until my tank is done cycling and then release them into my tank :) Cos if that's not possible i'd rather give them to someone so that they don't die :(

12. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

you do not buy Cheato, its for free, from fellow reefers. You should harvest some at times, take them out and chuck it away, or give it away.

Bad algae, do not want that. no. DSB, yes need to seed it from a fellow reefer as well, just a cup full. Give his a clean cup full to fill the hole :)

The cycle of the tank, is actually the curing of the live rock. Crabs etc... normally those are hitchhikers we DO NOT want in our systems. Stuff that die durinf cycle, its actually the stuff that died during transportation. Cycling is the time you wait for its leftovers to decompose - sorry to sound that gross, but that is actually it.

So no tank extra.

Sounds like you still have loads to learn.... Feel free to come around, I'm in Centurion, bring brother around for a information overload. :)
    Or there is a get together next week, Wednesday 23rd
    Feb 23 2011 meet-up - Marine Aquariums of South Africa
    come around - you need it more than me... :)

13. Yvonne

Yvonne Thread Starter

And what about the anenomes ? They really pretty :)
    That'll be awesome to swap the sand and everything so excited to get the tank started can't wait :)

I'd love to come to the meeting will c u there thanks alot will help alot I'm sure.

I will add more sand to the DSB that it's 150mm and for the refugium it is the same also right?

One last question :p Is there a specific order you should add the LR and sand into your tank? Will add the salt tomorrow after everything that got glued today has dried.

14. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Anemones - NO, sorry for shouting, but no, not now. First - you - have to learn a lot. And you have to master the skill of keeping good water parameters. And good lights.... Rock anemones, that is something else.

Sand, must be wash first, like in 100 times. Rinse last time with some RO if needed.
    And added into the water to prevent air bubbles.

Liverock, as soon as possible. As I said, you are not cycling the tank. Although we all say so. We are actually restoring the balance of live inside the live rock. A lot of things died during transport. That is why the rock will stink. And you need to run the tank a while until all that dead matter is gone. No more ammonia. Skimmer will go crazy first couple of days.

Only after 6 weeks (about) can you think of adding your first little fish. Sounds unfair to wait that long? But remember, in marines, like good wine, everything takes time. And the longer it took, the better it becomes.

15. Yvonne

Yvonne Thread Starter

No I know i mustn't buy them I meant the ones that come with the LR or are they also hitchhikers that must die ?

Ya it will be worth the wait i think and will look relly nice eventually :)

16. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Most of the internal sponges and copepods, stuff you can not see, deep inside the rock, they are all beneficial. Hitchhikers, like crabs, Mantis shrimps, Pistol shrimps, some hermits, pest anemones like aptasia and mojano, you do not want that. All these are on the outside, or comes out to roam. Also nudibranches are normally bad news. Some snails are good, others are predators. So it depends on what you get.

Just get you rock under water as quickly as you can. Only worry about the salinity and temperature. Do not worry about any of the other water parameters before you add the rock. They all will go totally of the scale. 6 weeks later, all should be back to where their readings should be.

17. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Hitchhiker anemones, there are 3 groups,
    Aptasia and Mojano - bad news, they tend to take over the tank and can fight and out compete almost for space.

Rock anemones - colonial, looks nice, slower to spread compared to aptasia, I got lime green ones. And you can nuke them later easier than aptasia when they do bother.

Rock anemones, like in flower pot, they are nice. I got red, brown and blue. They nice. But they are not that a common hitchhiker. Do not spread that easily, actually, not at all. Natal rock anemone, a small olive green species, they split easier and do multiply slowly. But again, not a problem child.

Recent Posts