Finally - Time to share some photos!

i had a cow fish(around 7cm) and two box fishes(very small) over the years and after a few days they literally disappeared in my 680lt reef lol no ill effects when they vanished though!

I guess they either died and decomposed under a rock really quick or i have something in my tank that has a taste for slow moving fish:p

Haha...maybe u do, nah I remember reading that they only release poison when they die if its stress indued death, not just if they peg off :p

Oh another thing, I would be more worried about the over stocking of the tank in just 8 weeks. You have a lot of livestock in there for such a short amount of time, and its showing as you have quite a bit of GHA growing...this is more than likely due to the fact the bacteria in your tank hasnt been able to deal with the bioload you have added so quickly.

A rule of thumb is usually add 1 new tank mate every 2-4 weeks in a new system, that is if everything is still fine and you are not seeing any adverse effects of adding the previous one.

Thanks for pointing that out to him mark,jeann that is very very good advice i suggest you take it,use it and keep to it in future for any marine livestock......

But for now since you have already put your system under great pressure i suggest you get some seachem stability,brightwells microbacter 7,prodibio or another decent bacterial culture to add to your tank to help with the bioload before your amonia,nitrite,gha etc go out of control.

Last edited:
Haha...maybe u do, nah I remember reading that they only release poison when they die if its stress indued death, not just if they peg off :p

peg off lol its actually quite sad as non reefers get really amazed by these fish and then next week they come check the tank and its GONE lol.ok so atleast i know they were chilled out when they went:p

peg off lol its actually quite sad as non reefers get really amazed by these fish and then next week they come check the tank and its GONE lol.ok so atleast i know they were chilled out when they went:p

Ya I know what u mean, those always seem to be the kind of fish that draw peoples attention. My wife loves them, Frogfish and Lionfish...all the weird looking stuff.

Thanks for pointing that out to him mark,jeann that is very very good advice i suggest you take it,use it and keep to it in future for any marine livestock......

But for now since you have already put your system under great pressure i suggest you get some seachem stability,brightwells microbacter 7,prodibio or another decent bacterial culture to add to your tank to help with the bioload before your amonia,nitrite,gha etc go out of control.

I use Seachem stablility in the tank, the livestock was done in basically 3 weeks.. 2/3 fish a week. ok, maybe a little fast then according to what you say...my bad :blush:

The nitrates, Nitrite and Ammonia levels havent moved though, been testing every 2 days, still at 0, exept the nitite, that went up to about 0.05

Exactly what is GHA? Im still confused about that??

Thanks for the advice!

GHA - Green Hair Algae...the green hairy stuff growing on your rocks...its a sure sign of high phosphates and/or nitrates...these wont really come up on your test kits if there is a lot of GHA in the tank as they algae is using these up as a food source to grow.

Nitrites of any reading is VERY bad - nitrites are poisonous to your fish...at 0.1 it will kill all the fish in your tank. I would sort that out asap!

hmmmm... ok

I thought Nitrates was the bad one's.. Nitrite will most always be present in any closed system, like a tank... must read up on this again.

The GHA your talking about is kinda my own fault, I left the back panel untouched, never cleaned it since the tank was started. The tang loves it, he nibbles at the pods and algea every now and then

yep kunhardt has got it correct,nitrites(NO2) are the real baddies,nitrates(NO3) can be lethal also but only at higher levels,not as toxic as nitrites.

I painted the back panel of the tank blue, and it makes a big difference in the tank..

Here are some photos..

The glass is a bit dirty, weekend maintenanc is almost here..

FTS

picture.php

Powder Blue
picture.php

Sea Star
picture.php

Bubble Coral
picture.php

Frogspawn
picture.php

Sailfin and Foxface
picture.php

African Clown hosting in my Leather ... Thats a first!
picture.php

Candy Cane
picture.php

Mushrooms
picture.php

Last edited:
powder blue appears to be full of whitespot....does he get cleaned by your cleaner wrasse?...you may wanna consider a quarantine tank if it stays that way or gets worse.

powder blue appears to be full of whitespot....does he get cleaned by your cleaner wrasse?...you may wanna consider a quarantine tank if it stays that way or gets worse.

ditto...get a QT tank and QT him for 4-5 weeks

PB tends to give massive tank wipe outs:(

Lanzo i'm thinking it may be as the tank is still new?I personally would only put a powder blue in a relatively mature system....not something less than three months old...do you feel thats true also?

ditto...get a QT tank and QT him for 4-5 weeks

PB tends to give massive tank wipe outs:(

I asked around about this, everyone else says Regals, Powder Brown, Powder Blue almost always have WS.. If they are eating good, leave them and they will get over it.

Most of the articals I found on the net says the same.. They actualy say'd moving the Tang will make it stress more ?? So do i QT, or do I let it be ?

Its only the PB that has WS, the other tangs are all White-spots-less ..

depends how long it is suffering with this and if you willing to put your other fish at risk...In a mature tank i would definitely say you leave it in...in your relatively new tank its 50/50,really hard choice in your situation.also remember a qt can be left at a lower salinity so that the fish's immune system is able to cope easier hence it rids itself of whitespot easier,but the qt must be atleast a decent size or else the fish will stress more.

If a decently filtered qt tank(maybe a 3ft-with a hang on back filter,and a plastic pipe or two for the fish to hide in) is not easily accessible/available at this point then keep it in the tank,but keep a qt tank in mind as a future add on to your marine fish keeping especially once you have livestock in the tank that you wouldn't want to put at any risk.

Oh and dont dose any medications in display tank as they nomally cause harm to your corals/system bacteria.

Last edited:
Lanzo i'm thinking it may be as the tank is still new?I personally would only put a powder blue in a relatively mature system....not something less than three months old...do you feel thats true also?
Age of system has nothing to do with tangs, Manderins, Pipefish yes not tangs,

I asked around about this, everyone else says Regals, Powder Brown, Powder Blue almost always have WS.. If they are eating good, leave them and they will get over it.
Yes they come in with WS but u can QT all the WS out of the fish, u can have a WS free tank, With the WS in your tank all your fish will have it, some fish are just "stonger" against it but all will have it, All acanthurus species are WS magnets.

Its a parasite that lives on the fish and if properly treated u can kill it and not have it anymore in your system.

Age of system has nothing to do with tangs, Manderins, Pipefish yes not tangs,

I'm thinking from a stability point of view rather than available live foods/pods etc....do you think a month old tank is as stable as a year old tank?

i wonder if that could not maybe put extra pressure on the fish and therefore its prone to whitespot since it is a more prone fish anyway like you mentioned also?

Back
Top Bottom