finally place with some experts

Discussion in 'New Members' started by kwazimoto, 25 Jul 2013.

1. kwazimoto

kwazimoto

have i have some good news for myself. after very long search i found this site.
    hope to get some answers as my tank is not doing well at all

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. the fish

the fish

masahello

please ask as many questions and we will answer. also post pics of your current system and it will help us give an accurate answer to the problems:)

4. kwazimoto

kwazimoto Thread Starter

goodness asparagus, that was quick. i knew this is a hotspot.

i have a 427l aquarium that i started running about 5 months ago.
    bought 90kg of rocks from n petstore. guy told me in 8 weeks it will be alive.
    i dont see anything yet. he said coral will also grow from the rock.

in he meantime i have 2 clown cobies and a eel and some crab. i feed frozen crabsticks and hake from pnp

5. the fish

the fish

it sometimes does happen that there will be coral growth from your LR. but not always. unfortunately this looks like to be a batch that didnt have any. also did you buy the rock from the pet store?

6. kwazimoto

kwazimoto Thread Starter

yes a bough all from the petstore. at the time it was having nice green hairy type of coral on it. but now most of it is gone. i believe he said it could be frag spawn or something like that.

i am happy to her that the coral might grow from it in time

7. the fish

the fish

oky wait let me put it straight. the chances of corals growing from your rock is about 40% chance of happening. and sometimes it will take more than 8 weeks sometimes it can take only 2 weeks. so you can either wait for a bit more or you will have to go buy some frags. check out the for sale section on the forum for that. the only coral that could and most probably will show its face is aptaisia. this is a nuisance coral and spreads like a wild fire. when you do get it try get rid of it by injecting it with vinegar with a syringe and a needle through the mouth of the aptaisia.

8. kwazimoto

kwazimoto Thread Starter

more frags spawn? like the ones i had just after 8 weeks? will it make my rock alive again. im not used to inject vinegar into the water. isnt it bad for fish

Last edited: 25 Jul 2013
  9. the fish

the fish

could also have been green hair algae. frog spawn i highly doubt it.

10. the fish

the fish

frags are tiny pieces of different corals that we put put together and sell to other reefers to put in their tanks to give it some color. frog spawn is a coral on its own

11. kwazimoto

kwazimoto Thread Starter

mmm now that you mention that. but i thought you only get algae in fish ponds and tap water fish tanks. do you maybe have a picture of that type of a coral

12. the fish

the fish

this is what Green Hair algae typically looks like when it takes over a system. and no they are in reef aquariums to. its not a coral but also a nuisance

hair algae tank wwm.JPG

hair algae tank wwm.JPG

13. kwazimoto

kwazimoto Thread Starter

yes yes this was exactley what i had. very bright green in the begining but then turned blackish with lots of bubbles everywere.
    those pink stuff i bought several times, but they keep dissapearing. guy told me maybe that the eel could have eaten it

14. 3dd

3dd

I which those we're corals could have made a small fortune fragging mine a while back

15. the fish

the fish

yea that is a problem. there are 2 ways of getting rid of it. you can either use something like phosgaurd to bring the phosphate level down which will the kill of the nuicance algae or you can manually remove it by pulling it out of the rock. or what you can do is also reduce the lights on period of your tank to 2 hours a day. they need also light to thrive so with no light they will soon just die off. and trust me you do want this

16. the fish

the fish

haha lol i know what you mean man. lol

17. butcherman

butcherman Moderator MASA Contributor

Welcome to MASA. please post a pic of your tank

18. 3dd

3dd

On my tank I had too do all three, ran GFO, cleaned them up like every 2-3 days and the power went off for 3 days, after that I haven't seen a spot of GHA anywhere, and the cyano also disappeared.

Now if there was a way too keep the brown stuff off my glass, the tank would be perfect

19. tekkengal

tekkengal Moderator

Hi and welcome to MASA! :)
    Nice to see you have a tank up and running, please post pics as we love them here!

With regards to live rock, it is called live because it has beneficial bacteria growing and living in the rock. It helps with the filtration of your tank. Are you familiar with the nitrogen cycle?
    In terms of coral and anemones growing from the rock, trust me the ones that normally come with the rock are not the ones you want in your tank :p Read up on aiptasia, majano and more recently the colonial hydriods; keep an eye out for those are nasty pests in most instances.
    Also keep an eye out for crabs, they start off cute and small but as they grow up they turn into fish and coral eaters, not nice at all! Some are good but the most are not (look up gorilla crabs/xanthids).

If you want coral, buy frags (from petstores or other memebers) like @the_fish suggested.

Good luck and hope your tank brings you hours of entertainment!

20. kwazimoto

kwazimoto Thread Starter

thank you for the welcome. i will take pictures and put it on this page.

21. kwazimoto

kwazimoto Thread Starter

i use to run the GFO - gravel filter online but have taken it out some time back.

i am not familiar with the GHA filter. can you explain.

Recent Posts