Finally I'm getting my first marine tank :))

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by DeanKoupe, 13 Mar 2014.

1. DeanKoupe

DeanKoupe

Hi all

I joined this forum quite a while ago.. And since still have not gotten into the hobby, but finally on Saturday I will be getting my first marine tank and I am soo looking forward to getting into this hobby.

I have a few questions though.

Let me start by saying that the tank I am getting is a Red Sea Max 250 (Second Hand) I am buying it empty, as I would like to start from scratch and watch the tank grow. The owner says he has had it for +- 2 years.

I would just like to know from the experience of anyone with Red Sea tanks if there are any components that should be replaced before I set the tank up?

Another concern I am having is the transporting of the tank, I will be collecting the tank in a Ford Bantam bakkie, and I am planning to take foam/sponge matting and towels etc to prevent as much as possible any bumping and vibration of the tank to my house.

Any other advice on this?

Thanks in advance.
    Dean

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

What is the distance between the place you are buying it from and your place?

If you transport the tank on top of the stand, be sure its tied down properly. No point is setting up a tank on a busy street corner.

4. DeanKoupe

DeanKoupe Thread Starter

I am in Johannesburg, I am picking up the tank in Witbank.. It's a long distance I know. I'm thinking to disassemble the stand at the owners house.

So I can rest the tank on the foam bedding, I'm just worried about causing stress on the glass.

5. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

What is the width of the tank?

Can the tank and stand not fit next to each other on the back. Just put Styrofoam of any other suitable thing in between. Even pool noodles can work.

6. DeanKoupe

DeanKoupe Thread Starter

Here are the dimensions: 960 x 552 x 665 mm

I think I'll only know if they can fit side by side once I'm there, I'm hoing to get foam "beds" tomorrow, so that the tank will be well protected

7. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

you can measure the space between the wheel arches tonight

8. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

Congrats on getting your first tank. The RSM's are nice tanks. Keep us posted on how it goes, and we expect pics of the loading and trip as well. ;)

9. DeanKoupe

DeanKoupe Thread Starter

Hi all

So Saturday I collected my Red Sea Max, and got everything home in one piece.
    I started last night taking everything apart to soak and clean, tomorrow I'll get started on cleaning the tank itself.

I will be replacing the lights with fresh ones.

I have tried shopping around for the original Red Sea carbon and "ceramic rings" but to no avail. Today I ended up purchasing Seachem Matrix Carbon with some mesh bags to place it into, is this stuff good enough to use?

I have the original ceramic rings bag, if I wash it thoroughly, is it still good to be used again in my setup?

10. Zandy

Zandy

Has the ceramics been exposed to air or been out the water? If so no you cant use them again as they will have some die-off of organisms and that will cause an amonia spike. It's cheap enough to replace and then to kick start the cycle perhaps try some bacteria dosing like...seachem stability or prodibio or special blend.

11. Zandy

Zandy

The whole idea of the ceramics is to house the bacteria. Thus washing it will not help

12. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Depends on how long they been outside the water. Even if 50% of the bacteria colony dies off, they will be replaced rather quickly by the survivors. But if the ceramic rings was left to dry out completely, I would rinse them, and put them with an airstone in saltwater in another bucket for a week or 2, if your system already is up and running and test the parameters before adding to your display. If your new tank should still cycle. Then you can add the dried out rings. But it will cause more ammonia the same way as dried out liverock would.

13. Zandy

Zandy

Running ceramics for two weeks in a bucket will cost more then buying new ceramics..not?? Or am i missing something here???

14. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

yeah, you right most likely. And more effort. Depends on the number of rings. Easier to just buy others.

But if the rings was always wet, then they should be OK. I'm speedreading, and not sure if it was dried out or not.

15. Zandy

Zandy

My quess would be that the ceramic rings was exposed to sun ect. He said that he transported the tank from Witbank to JNB so i dont think he would have had the rings circulating in a bucket with an airstone and heater. So safest option would be to buy new ones

16. DeanKoupe

DeanKoupe Thread Starter

Yes, the bio rings were already dry and out the tank when I got there, and have not been in contact with water, so guess I'll just have to buy a new bag.

Any advice on a good brand to go for?

17. Zandy

Zandy

Boyo makes their own ceramic rings....in expensive and much safer option

18. DeanKoupe

DeanKoupe Thread Starter

I'll pop by my LFS and see what they have.

I also noticed during cleaning all the pumps etc, hundreds of tiny white shell like "creatures" stuck to everything, does anyone know what these are and if they're harmful etc?

19. DeanKoupe

DeanKoupe Thread Starter

As I'm going along in the preparation of my tank, I have another question..

How much carbon to use in my Red Sea Max 250? I have read the RSM spec sheet, and the tank comes standard with 400g carbon. Since I starting my tank new from the previous owner, on Monday I bought Seachem matrix carbon (100g) bottle.

Should I get more?

20. DeanKoupe

DeanKoupe Thread Starter

Anyone with a reply? :(

21. tekkengal

tekkengal Moderator

Congrats on the new tank, I hope you enjoy every minute of it!
    With regards to the question on carbon, what are the instructions on the Seachem bottle? The 100g should be enough for now if you don't have much stock. Once your system is fully stocked then go with the recommended dosages for the volume of water in your tank (as it helps eliminate some of the chemical warfare between the corals and keep the water clear).

I would not go overboard with the carbon as it can suck out trace elements from the water which is beneficial to corals. Keep to the recommended dosage.

Good luck and enjoy!

Recent Posts