Finally a Tank of my own!

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by turboguppy, 3 Dec 2010.

1. turboguppy

turboguppy

hey guys

I been a part of MASA for a while now and i got so sick of drooling over all your systems that EVENTUALLY i got my hands on what i would like to try setup as my first tank..

ok so..

The tank is an AquaH20 830m and it was and still is setup for marines but not the ideal setup..

I'm gonna take pics of it to help you guys to help me! :p

The tank is currently running bio balls in a dustbin as the sump, i have a 2 foot sump i want to fit though..

tell me what you think... please give as much constructive criticism as possible..

Is this a good tank to start with or am i starting a losing battle?

pics in 5 minutes..

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. turboguppy

turboguppy Thread Starter

ok so this was our lapa, pool table etc.. till the tank got here lol..

i have a few random pics for you guys to look at and give me + or - where needed..

I am a student so please dont reply with buy this and this and this and that..

This tank was run as is so apparently it does work but in the time i didn't have a tank i been tryna read as much as possible on MASA of course and i realised im a long shot off the ideal setup..

so here goes

EQUIPMENT list as is..

return pumps

hailea 6530
    hailea 6520

heater

aquavia 200 watt

skimmer

skimmer weipro 2010

powerhead

seio m1100

overflow

diy syphon

Here the pics

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

With all the stuff i ended up with this lil toy it seems to be a skimmer but i have no idea what it actually is.. next to glass for size comparison.. maybe skimmer for fish bowl?:lol:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Any advice would be appreciated..

thanks in advance

Bryan

4. rakabos

rakabos

** awaiting bio-ball comments lol

5. Annoying

Annoying

Awesome little setup, just remember students come up with the most interesting and original ideas to get what they want, so this is a new challenge:razz:. Hows the skimmer working, can you post a pic?

6. turboguppy

well tank isnt up and running yet but this is when run on fresh water.. sorry cant really help?

Does anyone know if this skimmer is even okay for my tank, it's brand new?

[​IMG]

7. turboguppy

okay seeing as i have over 50 views with no hrelp maybe i should have added this originally ...

I want to keep nemo and maybe a cool looking coral or two.. something that will look great but that wont die if i look at my tank funny:thumbup:

8. Tremayn

Tremayn

hey mate.. Google the reviews for your skimmer. Weipros have very low ratings so I guess its ok for the time but later on you should seriously consider upgrading it to a reeforca :) .. Before you add lots of fish.. Plumbing is interesting :) hows that siphon working?

9. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

think after Rakabos's bioballs comment noone wants to be the first to bring them up.

Firstly, welcome and good start coming here looking for advice before stocking.
    I would loose the bioball bin. Rather fit the 2 foot sump and go for the three compartment option..so chamber one will be inlet and skimmer, Two is DSB and refuge and chamber three can be carbon/phosphte remover/etc anf return pump.

What corals are you plannign on keeping. That tank only has two lights, you are going to have t oadd at least two more if you want to kee plow oght corals.

10. Dewald@Dorry

Dewald@Dorry

Last edited: 3 Dec 2010
  11. turboguppy

ok so anyone know wer i can get one of those red sea (sorry if i wasn't allowed to say there brand name) its a salinity meter and thermometer small lil see-through plastic thing..sits in tank permanently.. and an estimate price

12. rakabos

rakabos

Ebay is your friend, got one for R100 shipped while back. However a refractometer is the way to do it properly

13. jaybeepee

jaybeepee

All LFS (local fish shops) should have - last one I bought was R68.

14. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

Don't want to be the bearer of bad news, but if I'm not mistaken those AquaH20 does not have a good reputation. There were numerous H20 tanks that burst, a couple right here on MASA :( They tend to crack on the corners.
    Keep a close eye on it ;)

Last edited: 6 Dec 2010
  15. Dane

Dane

I missed that it was an Aqua H20... I bought two nano's for very cheap and after investigating this brand I have emptied them both. Its just not worth the risk of your tank popping.

I would strongly advice getting another tank. I don't think its something you can be prepared for or observe, the tanks weakness lies at the curved edges - they tend to suddenly crack and burst. Apparently Aquah20 bends this glass in a few hours as opposed to the 20+ hours that the more reputable brands do it for.

Please don't let this discourage you. I am a student reefer and I probably have the tightest budget possible.... Basically nothing. :p I would recommend getting a standard rectangular tank of similar dimensions - or finding a more reputable brand second hand tank.

Also, to echo 439b - ditch the bioballs and set up the sump in the usual 3 compartment fashion. Other than that, even for some of the easier corals you might want to double up the lighting.

16. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

You can keep that small little wannabee skimmer and your 2 foor sump. and set that up as a quarantine tank. Only need heater and a powerhead or 2. OK, cannot quarantine tangs and other of the bigger fish, but anyway, your tank is too small for them anyway.

The bioballs is OK. For fish only systems. Maybe even some softies like leathers and mushrooms. Your water changes weekly are then a MUST. And you need to keep an eye on your water parameters. Any SPS / LPS / Clams or anemones are a no-no for your setup. First your sump setup, and secondly your lights is not enough.

But you can do a lot with your tank as is. So good luck. And welcome

17. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

Go into the Sponsors forums and click on the Red Sea/Marltons banner and you can email them and ask them where you can buy it from.

18. turboguppy

guys this entire setup is for sale and is insanely urgent pls make me an offer... bryan 0741199463

Recent Posts