Filtration

Discussion in 'Biological/Natural Filtration and Deep Sand Beds' started by Rob13, 1 Apr 2015.

1. Rob13

Rob13 MASA Contributor

Hi guys!

I know that filtration/methods of filtration will have a large impact on the livestock I keep and ultimately the type of tank I go with. Based on info that I have received from local LFSs and some reading I would just like your views on a few things.

I am not intending on going with a DSB (nothing against it, but can't seem to find information to convince me otherwise). So at this stage, I am looking at using a protein skimmer in the first chamber of my sump. In the second chamber I will be using some live rock rubble and some seachem matrix. I would also like to create a refugium with some chaeto and Ulva (if I can even find this type of macroalgae?). Once the tank progresses I would also like to get some form of phosphate reactor but I will see how that goes as the tank establishes itself.

Am I on the right track or has all my reading just made me mix too many things together? Is there something I should reconsider/add/remove?

Thanks!

Rob :m106:

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. TaahirS

TaahirS MASA Contributor

Howsit, what size tank and sumo are we talking about here?
    How many Chambers are there?

4. Rob13

Rob13 Thread Starter MASA Contributor

Tank will be 1200 x 600 x 500... Don't have exact dimensions on the sump just yet but will occupy the entire cabinet below the tank... There will be 3 chambers

5. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

I'm running multiple DSB and also using Seachem Matrix.

I'm away too often and want something that is the least amount of work. For the tank sitter.
    Remember what you do with a smile on your face as a newbie, later becomes a work to be done, then a schlep that is not done.

If you want to see DSB in action, you are welcome to come around.

adrian11 likes this.
  6. JG Swart

JG Swart

Hi Rob13. I also have no DSB in my sump. What I can say is if you could add Orca Biocubes it would be more good than bad. I can see in my tank that after 6 months the cubes were not working any more and add some new ones. Within 2 days I could see the difference.

7. Rob13

This is really true and I will definitely take it into account... I've seen your tank @RiaanP!! It is incredible :thumbup: Have you decided to use that one area of your sump for seahorses yet or not?
    @JG Swart did some reading on these biocubes now (including the thread on MASA)... They look really good but how would they impact a refugium? Or is it just trial and error to try and have enough of them to remove excess nitrates and phosphates but not so many that there are no nutrients for the macroalgae?

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  8. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Still undecided. Cannot make up my mind.

And Oops. Forgot you been here. I help out so many newbies, coming over for a chat and to learn.

Jenaid likes this.
  9. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

hi, well the dosage can be halved to start, that way there will be plenty nutrients, my advice would be start with the cubes, get the params low, say no3 around 10ppm then add macro and go from there, removing cubes as needed

10. Rob13

All good :m106:
    @dallasg thanks for your advice! Should I start my setup running the cubes from the beginning (say through the cycle) or should I let the tank cycle first and then add the cubes? I am assuming that I should cycle first so as not to "waste" the cubes...

11. dallasg

I always run nutrient export while cycling, that way when you start stocking there is no added pressure from fighting nutrients

12. dallasg

Also the cubes aren't wasted as they only get consumed when there are nutrients for them to work

13. Rob13

This is what I think I will be doing! The tank is finally starting to take shape... Will think of using a small powerhead inside the middle compartment of the sump where I will have some matrix and hopefully a refugium later on and will then put the cubes in the chamber with the skimmer and place them right where the overflow pipe comes in... What you guys think of this?

Another quick question: Is there any large benefit to "overdosing" with matrix? Say using 4L of matrix (rated for about 1600L of water) on a 450L tank?

14. dallasg

the more bacterial media the better, thats how i run
    it must however be kept clean

15. Rob13

Thanks @dallasg! Will see if budget allows for me to buy another 2L...

Would the matrix be ok in a filter/mesh bag in the middle compartment? Then when I do water changes just rinse out the matrix with old tank water?

16. dallasg

perfect

Rob13 likes this.
  17. Rob13

18. Rob13

Just have a question about the cubes... They have been in my tank for about 6 weeks now. I have not added any livestock (wanted to sorted out battery backup first) but they have obviously been working because 6 weeks down the line and I still have no signs of algae (not even diatoms)... I have recently noticed that some of the cubes are going brown (with one cube having an almost black patch on it)... Is this normal? And how often should you "top up" the cubes? They have definitely shrunk in size but do not know if I am supposed to try and keep them at a "constant amount", replenishing what is lost (if that makes sense)?

19. zippy

zippy

This would be a good idea, I've even seen some guys create a funnel to make sure all the water from the tank passes through the skimmer first, Not something I have tried, scares me a little because the little fishies I have in tank, if one of them manage to get down the overflow they're History.

Can't go wrong here either, best bet is to take a trip down to Plastic Land or a crazy store you can find a complete plastic basket with a little hook on one side, I've used these for years and they are perfect to keep the detrius off of your Matrix and crushed coral rubble. Depending on what you want to remove in terms of excess nutrient control, have the flow well aerated and fast flowing or the exact opposite to assist with Nitrate control, or as Dallas has advised use the cubes to control your Nitrates

20. zippy

zippy

How have you got them setup?

21. CameL

CameL

Sounds like too little flow/oxygen through the cubes, making them turn black. And I topup cubes about every 4 months, that's when they have shrunk enough for me in my system. Different systems with different bioloads will diminish cubes faster/slower depending.

Recent Posts