Filtration

Discussion in 'New Members' started by cknipe, 11 Nov 2013.

1. cknipe

cknipe

Hi All,

I'm currently starting to vaguely play with and put together some details for my first 420Ltr marine setup (tropical conversion to marine). I've had tropical tanks since like forever, and would like to give the marine scene a bash to open up a whole new kettle of fish (literally) for me in terms of setup, species, colours, etc.

I know that an protien skimmer (and preferably a sump) is a absolute must for marine setups. I also have a fairly good understanding of why. But what about other equipment?

Just a few stupid (excuse me) questions please...

- Other filtration requirements? Is this pretty much the same filtration as for tropical tanks? I.e. good quality external canister, cabon, bioballs, filter wool, sponges, etc?

- Lights? I presume the lights will be same as with tropical, granted, the spectrum / type of bulb will need to be different?

- On the heating side? Is chillers *required* or can I go without it? What kind of heating is required and what kind of temprature would marine tanks generally run at? Is the normal / same heaters used as for tropical aquariums?

- O2? I haven't seen allot of this, but I have seen it before... Normal O2 pump with a airstone or two should be beneficial I suppose? Would it be seen as a requirement?

- Except for the obvious salt, what other kind of chemicals would normally be required in terms of dosing and looking after the fish?

Many thanks, and sorry for the obvious noob nature of this post. I can't hide it, but noob here! :lol:

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

Welcome to the forum. :)
    External Canister - no, they can be used if you really want to, but they are generally frowned upon in a marine setup.
    Carbon - many use it, but it must be GAC (Granular Activated Carbon).
    Bioballs - for a normal reef tank with corals and fish - no.
    Filter wool - some use it, some don't, it has to be constantly cleaned so it ends up more a chore than anything else.
    Sponges - no.

Filtration in a marine tank these day is generally covered by good quality live rock, fine grain substrate and the addition of Bio Cubes or NP pellets.

Many options here, we run most lights in the 10000Kelvin to 20000Kelvin range, 10 being white and 20 being blue. You can use T5's, Metal Halides or LED's. Your budget will be the deciding factor here.

A heater is a heater, although my preferred heater is a Jager, they seem to last forever and are very reliable and accurate. A chiller is not needed but a nice to have, but they cost a lot of money, the cheaper option is to run a few computer fans or even a small desktop fan over the surface of the water which creates evaporative cooling and is a very effective method, although you will need an auto-top up unit as your evaporation rate will increase. Suitable temp in a marine is about 26/27.

No, not needed.

You can worry about this once the tank has started, there are many options to this, some very cheap DIY methods too. Monthly water changes will suffice until you get a better understanding of how it all works.

Hope that helps a bit. :)

seank likes this.
  4. cknipe

cknipe Thread Starter

Ah ok. That explains and clear things up a bit, and I am planing to have quite a bit of live rock in my tank. So except for the skimmer, what else do I need to look at equipment wise in terms of filtration? The filtration side of things are more than likely my biggest cookie at this stage, appart from the skimmer I have NO idea what is required equipment wise?

If there isn't any suitable equipment to get (internal filters perhaps then?) then I suppose the whole sump thing is going to become a requirement? Obviously any form of additional filtration (Bio Cubes / NP pellets / etc), would need to be housed in some sort of container where there is flow pushing the water through it?

Personally, if possible, I would *ideally* like to get away without a sump. It's a rather big tank volume wise (420Ltr odd), and if a sump is to be added, I am going to have to pump water close to 3m straight up. It's a situation that I would like to avoid if at all possible, both from a $$$ as well as a noise point of view...

--
    Chris.

5. EFJ

EFJ MASA Contributor

A sump would be the best addition to a tank. A larger water volume is better to keep your parameters more stable. With a sump you can add a Deep Sand Bed or a Refugium and you can place your heater, skimmer and what ever hardware you want to add later. Don't worry about pump noise as most good pumps available are quite silent. If you don't want to use a DSB then you can look at Orca Bio Cube's as alot of reefers are finding good results with these.
    What is very important for a mixed tank would be firstly water flow in the tank, circulation, lights and good husbandry. Remember patience is key and don't hesitate to ask question's!

Last edited: 11 Nov 2013
  6. cknipe

cknipe Thread Starter

Ta guys!

Loads cleared up and thanks for the assistance. Closing off my steel frames in wooden cabinets now, then I'll be upgrading my (two) tanks for 420Ltr monsters and convert the old 250Ltr to the sump, and then it's play time.

I'm sure I'll be back with more questions and pictures in due time :)

7. EFJ

EFJ MASA Contributor

Don't worry about all the various rectors and filtration equipment. Get the basics first, get the tank running, spend some time getting used to the hobby and then look if you are happy with the setup or if you want to add or change it. I like to keep it as simple as possible, if it gets to complicated then it becomes a chore and not a hobby.:thumbup:

8. zak

zak

9. shan

shan

@cknipe - in would advise you also visit one of our sponsors. It is extremely good to see a up and running system and understand from there how things work. I can recommend Reef Aquatics. I have purchased from them and they are extremely knowledgable and will not sell you something if you do not need it. Contact @Andre@ReefAquatics

enjoy reefing and welcome to MASA

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  10. seank

seank

This must become a sticky. Good post Dean ;)

11. Andre@ReefAquatics

Andre@ReefAquatics Sponsor

Thanks for the +1 @shan
    @cknipe, I see you are in CT, pop down to our store and I will gladly make time to answer all your questions you have. vipe357 has already started you off with some very handy info to get you going.

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
Recent Posts