Filtration

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by Stavros, 9 Jun 2010.

1. Stavros

Stavros

HI @LL

Last year i bought some LR, quiet a bit of it... i took out all the nice pieces for display but now im stuck with 1.2 pounds of LR on my pavement... IT is not like ur normal LR it looks like it is made out of hundreds of little "TUBES"

What i plan to do with it is to break it up into little bits and replace my Bio balls with this...

My Tank is a 12 Gallon reef tank, so i plan on putting a Oceanic Biocube skimmer in the first chamber. Then in the second chamber it flows through the (LR) then it goes through 2 carbon bags then lastly a bag of good old purigen. MUst i keep the bioballs?

I can put them in the 3rd chamber, but then all the bacteria will get starved of nitrate as the water passes through a skimmer then LR then purigen. Do u think its nessesary to have them? if not what can i put in the 3ed chamber where the pump is?

I do have about 15 pounds of LR + 4 inches of live sand in the display

Thank u

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Hi Stavros! Yeah mate! The "live rock" made up from little tubes, is tube-worm rock. BUT that said - it is a THOUSAND times better than bio-balls. So - yes, In my opinion - GO FOR IT!

4. PeterL

PeterL

Starvos, hi there. May I ask why it is that you quote information in imperial sizes opposed to metric which we use in South Africa?

5. deadmeat2016

deadmeat2016 Wouter

out with the bio balls! if possible, set up a DSB in the sump, it works miricles and purigen is amazing stuff

6. Stavros

Stavros Thread Starter

OK i broke up the LR into little bits and i threw it into the my little sump :thumbup:

The Lr nearly takes up the whole 2nd chamber:) only giving me enough space to put my active carbon. Ill try get a skimmer this week as well as a bag of purigen, Ill keep u guys in touch

@ peter- i dont really know why it does that:( im not very good with computers:)
    I think it was my aunts and that she bought it in England, but still not sure.

:peroni:

Robert

7. Stavros

Stavros Thread Starter

Now im not sure...

IM gonna get a bag of purigen to deal with ammonia,nitrates,nitrites ect..

But now i want to get something to deal with Phosphate :))) I found a product called chemi-pure? I did some reserch and got some mixed opinions, IS it feasible to run it in a 12 gallon nano? if it doesnt go, what els do u recommend?

Is it a substitute for active carbon? if not ~Can i run both in my sump?

IS there a limit to too much filtration? im planning to do a 3 stage filtration system with first a small skimmer then LR rock Then ceramic rings then carbon ( if feasible with chemi pure) Then it goes through chemi pure... then goes through 100ml of purigen. All this + 15 pounds of LR + 3inch Sand bed.. i just dont want to take out all the trace elements for corals and inverts in the future

Thanks

Robert

Last edited: 10 Jun 2010
Recent Posts