Filtration needed for heavy coral feeding???

Discussion in 'Biological/Natural Filtration and Deep Sand Beds' started by Jaco Schoeman, 23 Oct 2009.

1. Jaco Schoeman

Jaco Schoeman MASA Contributor

Hi guys... Okey, my tank is finally in it's final stages before I start to cycle. :slayer:

Now for the heavy planning part:

I DO NOT want a "garden aqaurium" by just throwing in what ever coral I can get my hands on (No offence to you who do that, but personally I dont want my tank done that way ;))

Anyway, so I am wanting to opt for the deeper coral, lower light corals. I have now done plenty of research, and I want to start off with keeping mainly shrooms, riccordia, zoa's etc. But then I want to start my learning curve on NPS (non-photosynthetic corals) like sun corals, certain members of Gorgonians and Chili Corals. Later on I will then try and keep the almost impossible species like Dendro sp.

Anyway, as you'd know, keepeing NPS requires heavy feeding a few times daily. With excessive feeding comes high nutrients, and thus the need for better filtration. Can you guys just suggest some ways to help eliviate the nutrient buildup other than the basics like skimming etc?

What fish can I keep for example to help me get rid of the excess foods? Would adding more mushrooms help reduce nitrate levels etc? Any suggestions please.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

howdy!

i am too looking at keeping NPS and my design sofar only consists of a in tank dsb with an ATS above tank, dripping live brine and roti's into the tank, with a planned targeted feed twice a week. i also added a cryptic zone filter for its mechanical filtering abilities , about 3 weeks till its done

but more than welcome to discuss over a beer and policy :)

4. Jaco Schoeman

Jaco Schoeman Thread Starter MASA Contributor

Ja, please do (beer...)!!! Where do we get live roti's and brine? What I was thinking for filtration is a 10% water change per week, plenty of mushrooms, live powederfine aragonite for DSB and aragonite for DT.

I will also target feed the large polyp NPS every second day... Please advise any other advances or research you have done please. ;)

5. dallasg

once sent to me

6. Jaco Schoeman

(posted together Dallas ; also check my above post please)

Sweet, thanks... I so wish my tank was up and running, as I then would have had this baby. Was available at a lfs:
    [​IMG]

7. dallasg

i am only using 2 x 12v downlighters with the sides and back of the tank painted black
    with white gravel, tank has an earie look to it kinda cool

8. Jaco Schoeman

Yes, I'm just gonna keep like three 15000K 39W T5's for the shrooms, LPS and then the Actinic's for lighting. Just hope the dice rolls in my favor regarding aiptaisia... :p

9. Boendoe

Boendoe

Hi Jaco

You could try fish that tend to peck on the rocks, like some of your Dwarf Angels or even some of your reef save wrasses. But at the end of the day the fish will put the nutrients back into the system and you will still sit with the normal problems of nitrates ext.

But I like your idea of a NPS setup, maybe look at a bigger skimmer to take out the extra nutrients after feeding.

Recent Posts