Filtration inadequate

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by Travis1, 12 Mar 2012.

1. Travis1

Travis1 (wilsontravy)

Im not happy with the filtration on my tank, i feel that it can be a lot better, maybe a redesigned sump is in order. currently have 3 chambers, skimmer, dsb and return. my setup is the 650 cube. so sump in general for space for a cube is the problem. dsb for my tank at the moment, i feel is a waste of time the way its set up. dsb is about 15cm wide by 40cm in length. my thinking is its too small and pointless. skimmer is the aquria 600l. does its job. but am always battling with floating particles in the system now, water not clear, therefore think filtration is a huge problem. any advice and help needed please.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

just removing the baffles and your DSB will be more than 50% bigger. Ensuring that the second divider is 10mm lower that the first will also prevent the sand from being washed away as in your pictures.It drops like a waterfall onto your sand.

Not sure but is all the pics taken at the same time. Seems there are differences. first 2 pictures clearly show 2 glass pieces on the left, creating a baffle. Last 2 seems to be only one overflow type divider.

Also not sure on the return pump rating. Last photo do not show a very high head height over the divider. Head height should be 6 to 10mm between the glass divider top edge and the actual water level.

4. Travis1

Travis1 Thread Starter (wilsontravy)

the first 2 pics are the more recent ones. where i had to add the extra baffles in due to skimmer releasing lots of micro bubbles and in return, return pump pushing it up into DT. still have space to expand the sump a good 15cm as well, as sump is much smaller than the stand space on bottom. as per pics, both front and back can be extended.

5. Travis1

Travis1 Thread Starter (wilsontravy)

waterfall effect is no more, pic was just an illustration of how small the dsb is

Recent Posts