Filtration - Good Idea or overkill

Reaction score
So, I was wondering if the following filtration in my sump will be overkill or is it a good idea:

Overflow > Filter sock > Skimmer> ATS > DSB with live rock and Chaeto > Return.

Would like to hear thoughts on this!

Last edited:
Sounds good, I also thinking of changing my sump to this.

Currently have Overflow, Sock, ATS, Return. want to get a bigger sump to add a Refug.

Other option is to tun Antiphos, Charcoal and UV

That will work, no such thing as overkill. I would not bother with UV, bulbs become dirty quite quickly, and I didn't really see much of an improvement on my tank with UV.

Ozone on the other hand produces crystal clear water and in my opinion provides a much better benefit in terms of fish health, but some precautions to take like running water and air over carbon after it goes through ozone.

Oh, and would a sump measuring 60x30x30 be fine for a 4ft tank?

It is a bit small, but as long as you can fit all the equipment you need in there it is fine. Probably not enough space for ats/dsb/lr/macro algae to make it worth the effort once the skimmer, heaters and return pump goes in. Just make sure when the power goes off that the sump has enough capacity to not over flow due to extra water draining from display.

Thought it may be a bit tight for all things I wanna shove in there. . . . Possibly keep that as a QT/hospital tank and build my own. . .

Any suggestions on acceptable size?

You're gonna need a large DSB if you want to incorporate it. I think @RiaanP said something like 50% of your tanks surface area.

So for a 1.2x60x60 you're gonna need about 3500 cubic cm. Which is more than that tank you wanna use as a sump.

I'd keep it simple and go

Filter sock > skimmer > chaeto and Liverock > return

Maybe add some carbon and phosphate remover in the return chamber.

Last edited by a moderator:
You can also look at adding other media in your system. You can look at ORCA Bio Cubes, Matrix Cubes or even MarinePure blocks etc. The simplest is filter sock (or no filter sock), Skimmer, Cheato (or any macro algae) with your filter media in that compartment (carbon etc.) and your return pump. You get a variety of sump set ups and all come downs to what you want. From the simple setup to the more complicated setup. For beginners, start off simple as with time you might want to get a larger setup or you might decide that you are happy with what you have and then you can start looking at other filtration avenues.

Okay, so using a 80x40x40, I plan on using:

Filter sock>skimmer>ATS>LR and Chaeto>return

Would this be large enough for a DT measuring 120x60x60?

And would I put the cooling fans/heaters in the return chamber? As well as the outlet for the ATU?

never put heaters in the return chamber.
Due to fluctuations in water depth, you will one day end up with an exposed heater. Regardless if you got an ATU or not. And BOOM goes one standard heater.

Fans goes over the biggest chamber. Blowing across and not down. Also the cabinet must have good ventilation for fans to work optimally. No point in blowing the same hot humid air over the surface - again. So an open back side or additional fans mounted on the cabinet blowing either way will help.

Point taken, will prob use 120mm pc fans to get flow thru the cabinet as it will be closed on 3 sides and against a wall.

Haha, okay, well, heater definetly not there then. . . Presume then also in the refugium part?

One trick if you want the heater in the return is to mount your heater under some egg crate that has been raised and have your return pump sit on eggcrate so you will always have your heater submerged ... just make sure you can peep at them to see if they go off and on ....

Filter sock>skimmer>ATS>LR and Chaeto>return

my views, Keep LR in the tank, and choose ATS over cheato, keep it simple and R.E.E.F :)

Sorry to derail. How much off the heater can be exposed. Im having issues fully submerging it at an angle already cos I misplaced a sump baffle.

each heater will have a min water level marking on it @Hammerhead

Back
Top Bottom