Filters and Skimmers

Discussion in 'Protein Skimmers, Mechanical Filtration' started by Jordan Botha, 2 May 2015.

1. Jordan Botha

Jordan Botha

Hey guys,
    So im starting my first tank in a few months and now I have to start looking at equipment.
    First off, I need to get a skimmer. So I dont really want to spend a lot on a skimmer, im looking for a standard HOB skimmer that will get the job done, tank is 60 gallons.
    For the filter I was thinking also a HOB filter, nothing too fancy either. :tt2:
    Any suggestions? :thumbup:
    Kind regards,
    Jordan.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. mariusmeyer

mariusmeyer

Why dont you want a sump? It makes life so much easier and hides all the ugly equipment. A hob filter will struggle with the bio load and a decent size one will also be expensive. I think you will be able to add a sump and better filtration for the same price as a decent hob filter.

Papitto, TaahirS and Nemos Janitor like this.
  4. Jordan Botha

Jordan Botha Thread Starter

Sump...sump...sump...
    I don't know how they work, how much they cost, how to maintain them.
    I'm not looking to spend a lot on filters and skimmers.

5. TaahirS

TaahirS MASA Contributor

It's just basically a tank hidden away underneath your tank. You out your heaters, skimmers, reactors, and other filtration stuff in there. Most filtration for marine tanks are meant to be kept in a sump.

6. Dian6430

Dian6430

Rather try and do it right from the beginning. You going to save yourself a lot of trouble and a lot more of money and the hobby will be fun if you dont have problems from the start. Just my 2c

Antonio and TaahirS like this.
  7. Dexter

Dexter

Ive tried running a tank with out a sump and I promise you its not the easieat thing to do. Possible but if you can save a bit more money and invest in sump. Will save you many headaches. Not sure were in Randburg you stay but you welcome to pop past me and I can show you my setups. Currently running both. One with sump and one with out sump.

8. Arries

Arries

Hahaha if you don't want to spend "a lot of money" then this hobby is not for you..If you don't buy decent skimmers, filters etc then you not gonna enjoy the tank as you will have a lot of problems..Rather save little more and get a sump with nice skimmer at least...Good luck and keep us updated..

9. Jordan Botha

By "a lot of money" I'm not going to spend like 6k on a damn skimmer?
    And the same goes for filtration.

Okay Re:sump,
    I have a tank that I can use for a sump but I do not know how to convert it into one. It's a 120+- litre fish tank.
    Someone said reactors and things are kept in sumps... what more equipment do I need to get in order to run this sump successfully?

10. Jordan Botha

And what about a refugium?
    I don't know what that is but do I need one?

11. TaahirS

TaahirS MASA Contributor

Basically you need a form of ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and phosphate removal. There are various ways of achieving each one.

Skimmer removes doc which reduces ammonia and nitrites I think.
    Refugium reduces nitrates
    Dsb reduces nitrates
    Seachem matrix in very slowly flow reduces nitrates
    Seachem matrix in normal flow reduces Ammonia and nitrites
    Liverock reduces ammonia and nitrites
    Phosguard reduces phosphate
    NoPox reduces nitrates and phosphates

Anyone feel free to correct me if I've gotten any of those wrong.

You have to have a combination that keeps your ammonia and nitrites 0 and nitrate below 10. But it isn't toxic if it goes above 10. Phosphate should be 0 but can go slightly above like 0.1. Ammonia and nitrites are toxic. Phosphate and nitrate aren't toxic but do result in algal growth. High Phosphate can be bad for coral.

12. Jordan Botha

Is a Jebo protein skimmer any good? Just spoke to my buddy that works in a pet shop and he says that he has them in stock.

So I need in the sump,
    Skimmer,
    Refugium,
    Reactors,
    Liverock,
    Dsb etc.
    The full range to remove the toxins and unwanted chemicals in the tank, got it.

13. mariusmeyer

mariusmeyer

You definitely don't need all of that. You basically listed all different forms of filtration. Skimmers vary greatly and it is one of those things where the real cheap ones are cheap for a reason and that's because they don't work. You will use it and within 6 months you will have to either get a new one and lose the money that you already spent, or you will have to spend the money else where to try and resolve issues such as algae etc.

You don't need a refugium, its a cheap way of nutrient export but you needs lots of space if you want it as the primary filtration. Reactors work great if space is limited as chemical filtration. You don't need liveock in the sump an I prefer not to have it there. DSB is once again same as a refugium, low cost to setup but you need a big one to be really effective.

You don't even need a skimmer but then you will have to replace the lack of a skimmer with more frequent water changes which will mean more salt. So long term a skimmer is more economical in my opinion.

A sump is very basic. Add a few pieces of glass to an old tank to control water flow and add the heaters, and other big equipment such as skimmer in there. You can even use a hob skimmer in the sump if you really want one.

What I would suggest is think what you want out of the tank long term. What type of corals do you want to keep, what fish do you like and how big a tank do you want. Once you have this you can start looking at skimmers and lighting as these are some of the expensive things.

Last edited: 3 May 2015
    fila and Jordan Botha like this.
  14. Brendan6

Brendan6

Bud in all honesty you will not need reactors from the start. Start with the basics before you get into the more advanced stuff.

15. Jordan Botha

Hahahaha who's Johan? Andre@ReefAquatics the 120 litre tank is for the sump, my main tank is 60 gallons.

16. Andre@ReefAquatics

Andre@ReefAquatics Sponsor

Hi Jordan. 60gal is still a small tank of about 240. The guys here are trying to guide you the best they can. My statement above still stands true. Call us we will help you.

17. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

So in all you have a about a 300 litre water volume tank (that includes your LR). Some advice, don't skimp on your skimmer, sumps are really great to have. Spend the money NOW, otherwise you will regret it later when it's too late to change.
    You skimmer is basically the heart of your system, rather have an overrated skimmer.

18. Jordan Botha

Okay so its a go on the sump and I think ikk invest in a huge skimmer and a refugiem, in the sump ill have DSB with lots lf live rock. Ill be building my sump myself, how many compartments should I build?

19. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

It is possible to run a basic sump without a skimmer. It all depends on what you keeping, what other means of filtration you have and how much time you willing dedicate to maintenance.

If you do go dsb, it needs to be large to have any effect and shouldnt have liverock directly on top of it.

fila likes this.
  20. Jordan Botha

Okay so after lots of research on sumps and reef tank filtration,
    I will be building my own sump with 4 or 3 compartments.
    If I go 3 comps then it will be: 1st is lava rock, 2nd is skimmer and other equipment then 3rd will be return line.
    If I go 4 comps: 1st is live rock, 2nd is refugiem, 3rd is skimmers and equipment, 4th will be return line. I will attach a reactor from the return line going back to the skimmer compartment.
    If I go 4 comps then it will give me a place to grow pods that will be eaten by my mandarin fish.
    What you guys think, 3 or 4?
    I will go with a Duriso standpipe for an intake. I want to get a 10x turnover on my tank.

As for lava rock, does anyone know where I could get some nearby?

21. Andre@ReefAquatics

Andre@ReefAquatics Sponsor

Skimmer always in first chamber. You don't want all the detritus to enter the first chamber and get stuck and not skimmed out. First Mechanical then Biological..

Last edited: 4 May 2015
    Arries, Papitto and BAD FISH like this.
Recent Posts