Filter system not working

Reaction score
Didnt know if this was urgent or not, so didnt put it in the urgent help needed forum, however i am concerned.

My in canopy filter/pump is not working in my Jebo 10 gallon tank. Got home this afternoon and notice no water flowing down from above. Took the pipe apart, checked the connections etc cant see anything wrong and don't know what could be wrong with it, will my tank be ok without it? Still got an air stone and via aqua pump for water circulation but am concerned about the the filtration part, even though it was just some floss and ceramic rings.

Trust it to break with just a few weeks before i can transfer everything across to my new tank.

Do tanks come with guarantees? Problem is even if its under guarantee the owner of the LFS i bought it from sold to someone else

Kunhardt - place another powerhead in the tank - and then just do a little bit more water changes...

Everything should be MORE THAN fine....
Don't stress too much about it.....

And yes - the mechanical part SHOULD carry a guarantee - ask the LFS where you bought it from.....

BUT - what's wrong with the pump? Did you remove the pump? Did you remove the impeller of the pump? Is this still working when loose?

check the bladed part of the impellor sometimes the little lug that allows it to work shears off leaving it loosely spinning with nothing to push against thus not allowing it to push water.. other things to consider are blockages in the line... this is assuming the pump is still working?

Thanks for the reassurance Jacques, i was freaking a bit there, dont know whats wrong with the pump, its built into the base of the tank so its not easy to check the pump itself, but its not doing anything at all just dead.

check the bladed part of the impellor sometimes the little lug that allows it to work shears off leaving it loosely spinning with nothing to push against thus not allowing it to push water.. other things to consider are blockages in the line... this is assuming the pump is still working?

Not sure how to open up the pump itself Les to see if there is an internal problem, but i have taken the pipe coming from it into the canopy apart and checked it for blockages and all was clear.

Have you still got water movement through the filter section? If not then you need to try and do something otherwise the bacteria will start to die off.

Have you still got water movement through the filter section? If not then you need to try and do something otherwise the bacteria will start to die off.

No water going through the filter, its one of those canopy trickle boxes with floss and ceramic rings water getting pumped from pump at base of tank which is where the problem lies. Would the live rock and substrate in the tank be enough bio filtration to keep water parameters in check for a few weeks, trying to find out how to replace the pump at the moment, if all doesnt go according to plan?

speak to shaun at the LFS he will assist you.. as for the trickle filter if it hasnt been running up untill now id remove the media and wash it.. either way its on its way out...

speak to shaun at the LFS he will assist you.. as for the trickle filter if it hasnt been running up untill now id remove the media and wash it.. either way its on its way out...

In fixing it or replacing it? Got the tank from the Beacon Bay LFS, wonder if the new owners will take it back lol. Jebo junk!!

So u reckon the tank will be fine for the next couple of weeks without the trickle filter Les?

So u reckon the tank will be fine for the next couple of weeks without the trickle filter Les?
If you have got sufficient live rock and sufficient waterflow in the tank then yes, it will be fine, just ensure you monitor your parameters and make sure you do regular waterchanges.

My water parameters nose dived this weekend, i take it due to the problems with the filter and pump not working, to such an extent that i have removed my live stock from this tank to my 3ft in week 6 of cycling, because i did not have any water to change with at the time. I have since collected 100 Litres. The corals, hermits and shrimp seem healthy in the 3ft, actually better than they were in my nano. Should a major water change on the nano and return them or do u think they will be fine in the 3ft? My only concern is that if u read my cycling querie thread i am not sure the 3ft has completed its cycle.

Back
Top Bottom