Filter system for FO tank

Reaction score
Hey all.

So i sold the old tank and decided on a FO system I am intending on getting a tank of at least 650L minimum(6ft min length). I have got a TS3 and also have plans for an additional external Skimmer considering that i wont be needing trace elements as there will be no corals in the tank. I will also be adding a refugium and a DSB. What i have read is a Trickle filter is also needed for a FO system what are your thoughts on a trickle filter for a FO system and would i also need to run ceramic rings as well since nitrates are not an issue with a FO tank?

jacquesb

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
GEEZ NO Ziyaad! A TS3 is ALREADY OVERKILL for a 650 litre tank! NO - please DON'T use ceramic rings....

ALL you need, is a DSB, ths TS3 skimmer, and an algae scrubber....

NOTHING ELSE... If you wanted to, you could perhaps add a phosphate remover reactor.... but, the phosphate remover I would say, is only really necessary if you have corals.....

Reaction score
OOH yes LOL forgot about the carbon and Phosphate reactor thanks for reminding me Jacques. Jacques i am going to be having a few Nice size fish in there man. do you think that i would not need a trickle filter?

jacquesb

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Nah Ziyaad - the TS3 is even OVERKILL for a CORAL REEF tank - so, for a fish only tank, you are MORE THAN sorted...

You really don't need anything else! Promise!

Last edited: