Filter System Expansion

Discussion in 'Biological/Natural Filtration and Deep Sand Beds' started by lIghty, 14 Dec 2009.

1. lIghty

lIghty

Hi All

I'm wanting to increase the volume and filter size on my system, I currently have the std setup with sump below the DT, about 550ltrs total

What I'm wanting to to is add a 1000ltr Flow bin and a 5ft tank as a huge refugium. Total increase about 1300ltrs, making it a total system volume of about 1850ltrs

Here's the idea:
    [​IMG]

Ok, so here are the Q's

1 - Should I have the Flow Bin before or after the Refugium, I thought if the refugium was last, then more pods would be washed into the tank?

2 - I'm planning on building a big DIY skimmer, I thought I would plumb the tank overflow directly into it, any problems?

3 - Flow is going to be about 5000l/h, is this going to be enough to keep averthing in the Flow Bin moving?

4 - Would I be necessary to put a DSB in the Refugium? even if running Zeolith?

5 - Airstones would be placed in the Refugium and Flow Bin for power failures, would this be ok? (there will be flow in the DT from Circ pumps)

6 - My automatic water change system will do about 80ltrs a day (about 4.2%), would this be a problem in any way?

Any other comments / advise?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. chikaboo

chikaboo

Hey there lIghty - what happened to the previous idea we discussed here on the forum with the this concept above or am I suffering from de ja' vu (or am I getting too old)

4. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Well, if the flow bin is totally dark inside, and parts of it the flow too slow, it will act as a cryptic zone. Filled with sponges etc.

http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/pfk/pages/show_article.php?article_id=544

But I got one open question. Will enough food reach the refugium?

Maybe split the flow after sump, half to flow bin and half to the refugium.
    Will a 5000l/h pump or flow not wash out to many and too fast the pods out of the refugium?

5. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Hi lIghty -

Here's my input - inline, and in Red

6. Neil H

Neil H Moderator MASA Contributor

great advice Jacques

7. lIghty

lIghty Thread Starter

Chika, I could be getting old to?

Thx RiannP, thats part of the idea, getting to live pods to wash into the tank, Link doesn't seem to work?

8. lIghty

lIghty Thread Starter

Thanks for your input Jacques, my reply in blue.

9. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Good idea lIght - w.r.t the "water change (old) water" - keeping it aerated, skimmed, and perhaps have some more macro algae in this water - to act as an algae scrubber......

10. lIghty

lIghty Thread Starter

Sorry Jacques, you lost me, why would I want to keep the "old" water, I was just going to though it away?

11. Neil H

Introducing the CLFF v1 (continuous live food feeder version 1)

So i had this idea for my new tank in the planning ......... and i think it is only right that i share it here as i think it is more than a little bit cool and it could be used in this build
    [​IMG]

so what is the concept here ......

the right is the in comming water .... running a big DSB / Miracle mud and macro algae........

the left chamber is a bring shrimp hatchery .... you drop the eggs into the box which is a black box ..... the eggs are aerated by a air stone or similar ....

when they hatch they are attracted to the overflow light, they swim under the gap at the bottom of the black box and as they swim to the the small light they go over the overflow and into the main tank.... continuously feeding the display tank....

what you okes think ???

12. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Neil, what will prevent the eggs from washing out? The left chamber, could it not be smaller? So the DSB on right is bigger?

lIghty, how will you ensure that the pods in refugium get food?

13. Neil H

Riaan, the theory with these sorts of hatchery's is that the eggs are kept in suspension by the air bubbles ... only the dead or infertile eggs will sink to the bottom...

yes you cam make the chamber smaller but this is an add on filtration so IMO no need to cram things in ....

14. lIghty

lIghty Thread Starter

Neil, Good idea but personally don't think it will work that well. The black box hatchery is a common practice, but the seperation of the newly hatched Brine is done with no flow and the circulation air turned off, allowing the eggs to settle and the brine to swim to the light, the slightest flow will hamper it, and allowing the eggs to be washed into the system.

RiaanP, I've seen several of these large Refugiums in operation, and they are covered with pods, and I mean covered.

15. ziyaadb

ziyaadb

My 2c for your flow bin:
    build some platforms with PVC pipe or eggcrate and place your LR on there
    put a few Sun sun 12 000 lph flow pumps at the bottom facing up and in that manner you wont have dirt settling at the bottom of the bin and the LR will have great flow

16. chikaboo

chikaboo

OK was thinking about these threads :
    My 3600L Concrete Tank "Idea" &

My "Complex" system plans

17. RUAN

RUAN

this is a very cool design man:thumbup:

Recent Posts