Filter socks : Good or Bad

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by VicZA, 23 Aug 2014.

1. VicZA

VicZA

I have been running filter socks since the beginning of my tank - November 2013. I find them useful as they really do pick up a lot of detritus and debris but I am starting to wonder if they don't also act as a trap for alot of good stuff that should just be circulating in the tank - like pods, etc

Your thoughts ?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Evo R

Evo R

They do in a way catch some of the "good" stuff as well, but if you clean them regularly the pro's far out weigh the con's.

4. VicZA

VicZA Thread Starter

I have also heard that if you do not clean them out regularly (and there is no formula for that) they actually become "chemical" and in that way feed your tank with bad "stuff" .... any truth there ?

5. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

Detritus they catch will break down into ammonia/nitrates/etc, so sock does need to be changed regularly. How often it gets changed will depend on how much it's catching.

6. Riaanv

Riaanv

Most people with a lot if experience will say take out uneaten food, detritus, etc before it starts decomposing. I am beginning to believe this also. If you do not clean the sock often it defeats the purpose which is take it out the system before breaks down. Often is relative I suppose daily would be best, or every second day will probably also work.

Reason I am beginning to believe is I never use to vacuum my sand for same reason, taking out good stuff. Since vacuming every week its been easier to keep phos in check and no other adverse effects

7. VicZA

VicZA Thread Starter

would be a bit of a mission to vacumn my substrate, so not really an option.

8. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

They trap and decompose detritus, as 459b stated but far better than dirtying sump, blocking skimmer pumps etc. Too me they are just as important as a skimmer. They can't become chemical just biological, I fill mine with filter floss and change floss every couple of days and clean socks when they go brown

9. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

Once you go socks you'll never look back. Much better than siphoning out your sump or tank.

10. nemo_jhb

nemo_jhb

Good Question!
    I've decided to use a sock for 5 days a week. A clean sock goes on every Sunday night & is removed for cleaning every Friday night. I clean the tank on Sat & test water parameters on Sunday. This way my sump stays clean & the "good stuff" has a chance to circulate.
    Well that's my logic...

Would be interested to know what the members are using to clean their sumps? CUC?

11. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

i siphon the water out, and replace when i remember :)

Recent Posts