Filter Question

Reaction score
My system runs on an external skimmer so my entire overflow is routed through the skimmer then flows into my DSB. I have been running a stocking on the end of my outflow from the skimmer (flowing into the DSB chamber)

Works great at catching detritus and is a great silencer :)

What I am concerned about is will there be enough nutrients for the critters living in the DSB or should I not be concerned ?

So your skimmer has no pump you just rely on the down pipe from your display?

So your skimmer has no pump you just rely on the down pipe from your display?

It does have a pump (remember the leaking incident couple of months ago;))

But the difference between the in sump units and my unit is all the tank's water goes through the skimmer and then via one pipe to the DSB. This is the pipe with the filter on.

If the skimmer pump is in the first section, there is no way all the water goes into the skimmer, some of it must get missed, but more importantly, how well does the DSB look?

If the skimmer pump is in the first section, there is no way all the water goes into the skimmer, some of it must get missed, but more importantly, how well does the DSB look?

No, No, it's an external skimmer, all the tanks water has to go through it or it will end up on my floor ;)

The DSB looks fine, but not so certain about pods etc.

think what he is trying to say is recirc skimmer being fed by overflow (all the overflow) instead of a pump....

Dont worry bout the critters in the dsb, they will have enough food. Ecosystems adapt to become balanced...Supply and demand blah blah blah... So if previously you had loads of visible life in ur dsb due to "insufficient filtration prior to it, there will be some die off. But the population will regulate itself according to available resources. Remember that the way we run our dsb, bacteria is more beneficial than pods etc, abd as long as there is enough surface area inside the dsb for bac to do their work, the self regulation of bacterial density will not be of any concern.

Back
Top Bottom