filter media help

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by Charl_Stanhope, 23 Jan 2011.

1. Charl_Stanhope

Charl_Stanhope

Im using a sponge filter in first section,t(compartment,whatever you call it)then the water runs through phosguard, purigen and activated carbon which i change every month or so,3rd section ive got a skimmer which is working fine.Ive also got 10 bio balls and 3 bags of ceramic rings. in in the 4th chamber Ive got a big spunge. Ive got about a 1700 litre ph flow rate in my tank(a pump and a mp250 flow pump aligned on the live rock. I changed the positioning often of the flow pump). ive got 15kg of live kenyan rock and 3 kg of base rock.

Ive been told to get rid of the bio balls and the ceramic rigns. How do I safely remove them? do I remove a bag of rings every week or do I just take all the bio balls and the ceramic rings out at the same time. or do you guys think I should just leave it all in. I think ive got to much happening at the back so im not getting enough flow through all the media. I also thought of cutting the sponge in halve. its probably 30cm long.

Please advice me

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

Before you go removing Bio balls and filter media, what are the water parameters? and how long has the tank had this filter system?

4. Alan

Alan Admin MASA Contributor

I agree with the post above in that more info is needed. The reason to remove bio balls and ceramic rings is that they are too efficient at the production of nitrate. The flow through the filter system could also be a better set up, i would put skimmer first, primary filtration then go on through mechanical filtration and then through the chemical filtration ie carbon and phosguard, then finally your tanks live rock and sand beds will handle the bio filtration.

5. Charl_Stanhope

Charl_Stanhope Thread Starter

my water parametres are all fine.I think. here they are : (no3 - 10mg/l) , (no2 - omg/l) , (ca - 440mg/l) , (kh - 7d) , ( ph - 7.7) . I dont have a po4 testing kit. will get one this week. Im dosing with magnesium,strontium and calcium weekly except for the calcium which i do every second week. its from advanced ultra formula series. I use natural sea water which show no signs of no3 and the rest of the parametres seem fine with that water.I mix it with ro/di water to get the right salinity. I also do a 10% water change weekly. Ive got 5 baby clowns(largest one 3 cm(I know I have too many(due to my lfs which gavce me the wrong info when I started) so trying to sell), 1 tomato clown, a dottyback, a keyhole angel. 2 turbo snails,had 2, 2 died(dont know why) and 4 starfish. Im going to add a couple of shrimp this week. My tank has been running for around 11 months. The reason why I want to take out some filter media is that ive got a brown algae problem. The natural and ro/di Ive tested and its definitely not my problem. Ive done everything ive been told to do,water changes,everything i could find on the net except I havent change my lights.

6. Alan

What lights are you using??

7. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

Removing the bio balls will not reduce algae. Algae is caused mainly by PO4 and a low DO. Lights also play a big part. But first check PO4.

8. Charl_Stanhope

its the original lights that came with the boyu tl 550. im using it with moonlights

9. Charl_Stanhope

VOLT:AC230/115V
    FREQ:50/60Hz
    POWER:PL-24Wx2

Thats the lights Im using I think

10. Alan

Agree with this 100%, but you may want to look at upgrading your tubes, dont know the kelvin rating of them, but look at anything between 10 000 and 15 000 kelvin with good reflectors. Check the PO4 level, although with phosguard in the system it shouldn't be a problem.

11. Charl_Stanhope

im still not sure if i should just leave my filtration system as is or if i should take some of the stuff out. It just feels like Ive got too much stuff in the back chambers. Is it just me or am I right?

Recent Posts