Filter Floss

Reaction score
Hi all,

Drained my sump today and man what alot of debrits I have removed - this must be one of the major causes for my algae issues.

I plan to run skimmer outlet and both return outlets through filter floss before the water gets a chance to go into the sump.

Will this help in future debrits build ups?

How often with the have to be cleaned and/or changed?

Kanga

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
I use plastic pegs to attach the filter floss onto the baffle between my skimmer compartment and my DSB, change it twice a week, and boy it takes out a lot of muck.

viper357

Admin
Reaction score
it's not only taking out a lot of muck, it's also taking out a lot of beneficial critters, well in my opinion anyway

Kanga

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
it's not only taking out a lot of muck, it's also taking out a lot of beneficial critters, well in my opinion anyway
very possible, never thought of this. However my dsb is after the floss where all the critters grow.

Reaction score
Man that's a good point dean, I put some on from first chamber to second and I can not belive the amount of crap it has stopper, I will run the floss until my algae issues are fixed.

Reaction score
Hi SIMS

Filter socks look like a small white sock they are used more overseas than in SA.
I find unlike filter floss you can easily see what is in the sock before you clean it i always find small snails, amphipods and other good things in the sock which i return to the tank. They come in different micron ratings.I think once you have used filter socks you will never use the floss again.

Reaction score
Ok do you put the sock on the skimmer and on the inlets to the sump?

can I get these at the LFS?

Reaction score
I have a AM 5000 Shorty Skimmer which has 2 outlet pipes going into my sump i place
2 filter socks on the outlets. I have a third lower flow outlet which runs into my refugium and dsb i leave this outlet without any filtration which i find beneficial to my refugium.