filter floss vs skimmer

Discussion in 'Protein Skimmers, Mechanical Filtration' started by mupwi, 28 May 2011.

1. mupwi

mupwi

about 3 months ago I got my first skimmer a boyu 310 which has done wonders for my tank stability has gone through the roof and have been able to change from 15%/week water changes to 10%/ month.

rI know it is too small for my system as it is only rated for 100l and it is in a 300l system but at the moment I dont have much bio load and as I said it is doing wonders.

fast forward to last week I started runing fillter floss in a small 300l/h powerhead to remove some particals in the water after I did some rescaping and stured up the substrate and decided to continu uing it I am changing the floss every second day and it is also doing wonders for the tank but I have noticed my skim mate froduction has changed vastly first on volume before I was emptying the small cup every day and it was a dark coulour like pea soup now I am only needing to empty it every 3rd day and it is much lighter like a week tea.

any coments on this is the reduction in skimmare just coz the dirt is geting removed before it gets to the skimmer? should I try adjust the skimmer to try skimm dryer now so I get thicker skimmate and dont have to empty is as often ?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

Exactly, you could set it to skim dryer, just make sure you continue with regular cleaning of the filter floss as you have been.

4. slless9

slless9

if you are doing the above, wouldnt it be easier just to switch the skimmer off, or is there still benefit in having it run dryer?

5. SchyffS

SchyffS Reef Aquarist

best keep your skimmer running, the skimmer removes dissolved phosphorous mainly.
    Your filter floss removes undissolved matter in the water, allowing skimmer to work more efficient.

6. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

+1;)

7. Evo R

Evo R

Everytime you switch your skimmer off and back on again say the next day or a couple of days later your skimmers needs anything from a few hours to a day or two to run and skim at full potenciall again!!

So its pointless turning your skimmer on and off the whole time.

8. Evo R

Evo R

And instead of using the small powerhead with a small piece of filter floss, Rather DIY a stand directly under the overflow inlet in the sump.Then all the water coming into your sump will pass through the floss making this excersize more effective!!

Recent Posts