Filter (DSB) add-on to current system

Reaction score
Hi,

I currently have a 600l aquarium with a Tunze System (Kit19) cabinet filter. I'm upgrading to an 1100l aquarium, upgrading the Tunze System to a kit 20 consisting of the following:

SYSTEM Filter 853 + 2 x 851.76
filter pump Turbelle® 3000/2
SYSTEM Skimmer 245/3
SYSTEM Bio reactors 2 x 1676
bio connection 3178.71
Osmolator 3155 with infra-red technology and alert sound emitter
2 x recirculation pump Master 1073.03 (3,000 l/h, Hmax 3 m / 317 US gal./h, Hmax. 118 in.)
automatic calcium reactor 1674/3

I want to add a refugium to the filter setup as below:

Filter_Design.jpg

Chamber 1 is to collect/remove detritus.
Chamber 2 will be used as a macro algae filter
Chamber 3 to be used as a DSB
Advice needed on the following and any other comments/suggestions will be much appreciated:

1. Does one put the refugium before or after the Tunze filter?
2. Is the size of the DSB sufficient or should I make the algae chamber smaller and DSB bigger?
3. Is the height of the DSB separator glass (300mm) to high/low?

Thanks
Gerrit

Ya same here haven't got much knowledge on sumps sorry can't help with that but anything else i can try:) Will keep reading:)

Hi Gerrit, you can use chamber 1 for detritis, i would use chamber 2 for a skimmer, chamber 3 for macro and DSB combined. As for the Tunze filters i have no idea as i have never used them but i would put the refugium after because the fuge will remove nitrate and will be more gentle on the critters.

here you go mekaeel. Tunze Cabinet filter 19

tunze19.jpg

Gerrit is your drawing to scale? The hight of your return to the Tunze box seems a bit high IMO

Last edited:
Gerrit also give us an idea what the upgrade is going to cost you. I see the suggested retail on a model 20 is R21 500,00. Speak to Dragonreef to give you a price to create a kit like that using Reef Octo it's going to cost you much lest.. Just my 2C

I don't like the idea of the Tunze filter being fed by a pipe from chamber 3. I have done this in the past and have always experienced problems. Things like joining the two systems effectively. Getting surface muck building up in chamber 3, etc.

I would run the two filter systems independently. ie each with its own feed from the main display and each with its own return to display.

Actually I am not a great fan of these prebuilt system at all. I prefer to use independent components. How much are these systems?

Ok see the prices were posted while I was typing. Wow that is quite steep.

:w00t: IMO for that kind of money i would rather build my own system and put in a really good skimmer, and still be left with change.

That sounds like a good idea Hill. Why not use the "old tunze kit 19" on its own and make chamber 2 just big enough for a skimmer and try and get area 3 as big a dsb as possible... Oh but then you need space for the pump :( ok now my head hurts.

Copperband, yes, pretty much to scale. The Tunze system sump is 440mm high. That is why I plan to make the first sump high enough to feed the Tunze system. I've been using the System Kit 19 for 4.5 years now and it is still doing very well. The parts needed for the upgrade to kit 20 a friend of mine brought in from Germany last year. Much much cheaper than you would pay locally.

I don't like the idea of the Tunze filter being fed by a pipe from chamber 3. I have done this in the past and have always experienced problems. Things like joining the two systems effectively. Getting surface muck building up in chamber 3, etc.

I would run the two filter systems independently. ie each with its own feed from the main display and each with its own return to display.

Actually I am not a great fan of these prebuilt system at all. I prefer to use independent components. How much are these systems?

Hill, the reason I would like to put the refugium in front of the filter is to make the control of the water level easier. With this setup I only control the water level in the filter section. My thinking was to use 2 x 50mm pipes from the refugium into the filter. Will this still cause problems?

Hi Gerrit, you can use chamber 1 for detritis, i would use chamber 2 for a skimmer, chamber 3 for macro and DSB combined. As for the Tunze filters i have no idea as i have never used them but i would put the refugium after because the fuge will remove nitrate and will be more gentle on the critters.

Hi Alan, is there a major downside putting the fuge before the filter. The skimmer is hosted in the filter section, but yes, I can have the macro and DSB combined. That will leave chamber 2 open for future additions like maybe another skimmer etc.

Also, would a overflow work better on the fuge going into the filter section?

Hi Alan, is there a major downside putting the fuge before the filter. The skimmer is hosted in the filter section, but yes, I can have the macro and DSB combined. That will leave chamber 2 open for future additions like maybe another skimmer etc.

Also, would a overflow work better on the fuge going into the filter section?
The down side here is you are going to filter out the critters that will be breeding in the refugium instead of letting them through to the display where they feed your live stock.

The down side here is you are going to filter out the critters that will be breeding in the refugium instead of letting them through to the display where they feed your live stock.

Alan, apart from that, will it have a down side on the effectiveness of the filtration?

Damn you could really build a nice system for that price phwww wont look at buying one of those any time soon:)

Alan, apart from that, will it have a down side on the effectiveness of the filtration?
I dont think so, personally i like to set up the filtration as Mechanical, then biological, into natural and then chemical. Just seems to be more effecient but runnuing fuge first will still work.

Back
Top Bottom