Filling Water and LR questions

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by Ebi Omer, 26 Jul 2013.

1. Ebi Omer

Ebi Omer

Hi.

When starting a tank, what should be the correct procedure in terms of adding substrate, rocks, water, salt..

What goes first, 2nd, etc?

would it be fine if I add RO water to to the tank if LR is in place? Thereafter add salt..

Can I expect a lot of die off from LR if it is out of water for 2 days or so?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

There will be a lot of die off it rock is out for that long.
    I added rock, then some salt water, then substrate then filled with water. I have my rock on egg rate on the bottom of the tank. If you put the rock ontop of the substrate then there is a chance that something will burrow under the rock and cause it to fall over.
    If you put your rock in RO you will kill everything so you'll need to either mix water in your tank and then add the rock, or mix water in separate containers.

4. HOT SAUCE

HOT SAUCE

pre-mix the RO water and the salt first and slow to settle for about 40 min before you add it to your tank ( helps stabilize PH)

add substrate to empty tank (and eggcrate if you wish as @459b suggested to prevent your structure from collapsing in the future )

add water.. you can pour the water over a small dish to prevent the sand from blowing all over the tank

don't fill your tank to the top.. maybe just a third and start adding live rock ( its easier to see and work in the tank if there is less water) when done with your structure add the rest of the water in.

enjoy :)

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  5. Ridwaan

Ridwaan

I normally put the sand first, then I put R.O Water, then put salt.
    Then I add a heater to heat up the tank and a flow pump to mix the salt over night...

Once tank temp is 25deg or there a bout, I check salinity and adjust as necessary.

Once all is ok, I then go buy live rock and add it immediately to tank...

A day or two later I add bacteria to kick start the cycle and then I just leave the tank to run...

6. NO3

NO3

order

If it were me i would mix the salt and RO in the tank first and let it run for one for two days! then i would add the substrate and finally once its been running for about 2-3 days get the LR in there!

good luck
    :thumbup:

7. Ebi Omer

Ebi Omer Thread Starter

Thanx guys.

@Ridwaan , do you have a problem with rocks being unstable when put on substrate and not on tank base?

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
Recent Posts