Few queries and advice needed

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by mickey69, 14 Jun 2009.

1. mickey69

mickey69

HI everyone

I posted in the new members section a few weeks back. So firstly thanks so much for all the welcomes and feedback.

Hi All - New Members

Please refer to the link above for visual reference to my queries.

I have taken more time to accurately measure my tank and the stand as last time was approximations. I think some people forgot about the thread as some of my questions were never answered but I think it could have been more due to insufficient data from my side...

This is the first time I have had some time to post again and put sometime into my 'project'. I anticipate this tankis going to take 6-9 months to setup. I want to do it slowly and properly, and I also do not have tons of money to just set it up from the word go.

This tank was originally for tropical fish , therefore its design and layout is lacking in certain aspects, so I am trying to work around everything and see how to go forward.. ( the tank is from my late father, so I want to stick with the design at least and keep the cabinet if possible. He always wanted a marine tank but never got the chance or had the time to have one, so I am carrying on where he left off, it will be a tribute to him if u can call it that :)

Below is the current tank. Now the glass is quite scratched. ( none of the scratches catch my nail) so its cosmetic. I have read you can use cerium oxide and polish out the glass but its time consuming and I am no DIY glass polishing expert. It doesnt sound like a good idea to me?

People have said I can modify this setup but I am now wondering... By the time I spend the money doing all these mods is it not just worth getting a brand new tank made up and avoiding the hassle?

I have never built a tank before. Is it that complicated , because I wouldnt mind making up a cutting list of glass and building myself a new one, based on this original design, to save on costs + then I can get holes drilled for the sump piping? (The glass is 6mm and the base is 12mm out of interest)

With regards to a sump , I can only fit one with the dimensions of 420 x 300x350 (lxbxh , in mm) which is a TOTAL volume of about 35 liters. Is it worthwhile to make up a sump of these dimensions or is the benefit almost pointless?? I think the sump will maybe add about 12% extra volume to the total system I.e 135 liters (with rock + equip) + 15 liters sump . I understand that you can hide a lot of the equipment in the sump aswell so if anything maybe I should have one almost purely for the cosmetic benefit?

I want to use about 10 kgs base rock and 20 kgs live rock. Does this sound sufficient for the above tank or overkill? Or is 20kgs live rock enough?

As you can see from the picture , the cabinet is divided into two sections. Now I want to remove that piece, how would I work out whether it will affect the structural integrity of the stand?? It will obviously weaken the stand but is it necessry?

Thanks for any help guys

P.S. I lived in cape town for 16 years and durban for 10 years so its nice to see people from those parts of south africa :thumbup:

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

see my answers below in red;)

viper357 likes this.
  4. mickey69

mickey69 Thread Starter

thanks Leslie...

Will contact u as I go forward. Putting together a cutting list to work out what it will cost me.

Appreciate the help

Recent Posts