Ferret's 800x400 Shallow Nano + IM Fusion 20

Reaction score
Hey Guys...

So a little about my tank before we start.

I currently Have a 1.2m, 500x 450 mixed SPS and LPS tank, with a 2ft sump. Running the below equip (I will take some pics as reference).

Improved Living DIY LED system with Programmable Controller
4x 54w T5 Tubes (2x Blue, 2x Aqua Pink)
Bubble Magus Curve 5 Skimmer
Bubble Magus Reactor
2x Jeboa Rw-8 Wave Makers
300w Heaters
3000l per hour Return

With the Below Live Stock:

Current Fish:

Anthias x5
Banana Wrasse
Fairy Wrasse
Cleaner Wrasse
Firefish
Milk Sand Shifter Goby
Gold Striped Maroon
Oscellaris
Scopa Tang
Convict Tang
Jumping Bean
Eblii Angel
Juvenile Pomacanthus
White and Black Striped Long Tentacle Sea Urchin
Emerald Crab

Current Corals:

Green Tipped Torch
White Tipped Torch
Long Tentacle Green Hammer
Short Tentacle Green Hammer
Frogspawn
Green Monti
Red Monti
Superman Monti
Green Slimer
Pink Birdsnest
Green Birdsnest
Pavona
Purple Sps (not Sure on name)
Purple Digi
Superman Digi
Lumo Star Polyps
Acan
Elegance Coral
Rainbow Bubble Tip Anem
A few Different Zoas
Gorgonia Coral
Lumo Green Kenya Tree Type Leather
2x Mushrooms
Orange and Blue Lobo

After much thought I have decided to do the Split and go Pure SPS or Pure LPS Tank. My brother has had much success with his Nano's over the years so he has also inspired me in this new venture.

I will be setting up a Innovative Marine Fusion 20 as my new Nano LPS tank (more details on this later this week). AND a custom built 800x400 SPS tank that I am planning:

Below is a pic of the tank and the sump idea:

Main and Stand:

800x400x350 tank.png

Sump:

Sump.png

The Below hardware will be going into this SPS Nano:

Tank will be 800mm Wide, 400mm Deep, and 350mm High with the Water level at 320mm made from 8mm glass. With a Total Water Volume of Roughly 160 Litres (excluding rock and sand displacement)

Sump will be 700mm x 300mm x 300mm (with the MAX water level when no power on tank at 260mm)

Bubble Magus Curve 5 skimmer
2x Jeboa Rw-8 Wave Makers
2x Kessils A150w
300w Heater
Resun CL300 chiller
Bubble Magus Mini 80 reactor
filter sock
auto top unit
LED unit for sump
3000lt per hour return
Carbon in Bag

I have all of the hardware already, just need to buy the glass and wood and start the actual build. Will start the build at the end of May.

While on the drawings the cupboard is white, this will all be painted to a high polish gloss black with Silver Door Handles. I plan on using 8mm Starfire Glass for the front and two sides with black silicon and a black vinyl cover for the back. The rest of the tank and sump will be made from 8mm standard glass, no brackets.

I wont be keeping all my fish when I do the split so I am sure I will have some items for sale soon. With regards to the corals, well I will have a few LPS frags soon in order to cut down the to smaller Fusion 20 Tank. Also means that the Current Tank and Sump (including stand), as well as the Improved Living unit will be available for sale in 1 - 2 months from now.

Last edited:
Are you planning on a "U" cutout on the back panel for the overflow?

Are you planning on a "U" cutout on the back panel for the overflow?

Hi Riaan,

Yes this is the plan to Cut the over flow directly into the glass. will be 3cm from the top and 20cm wide

Last edited:
you are creating a weak spot on the back panel, especially on the corners of that cutout. Plus the weight of the external box. the water in it plus its plumbing will also do their part in pulling on the back panel causing even more stress on it. Plus its rimless, nothing preventing the back panel from bowing out.

Rather redesign.

Can have 2 times 50mm holes high up in the back panel with a slimline overflow inside and overflow box outside. No bulkheads in between. The holes can be more than 50mm from the top and it would eliminate the uneven stress.

you are creating a weak spot on the back panel, especially on the corners of that cutout. Plus the weight of the external box. the water in it plus its plumbing will also do their part in pulling on the back panel causing even more stress on it. Plus its rimless, nothing preventing the back panel from bowing out.

Rather redesign.

Can have 2 times 50mm holes high up in the back panel with a slimline overflow inside and overflow box outside. No bulkheads in between. The holes can be more than 50mm from the top and it would eliminate the uneven stress.

thank you for the advice. However I am after a very specific look when this tank is setup, and drilling holes in the tank are just not an option for me. I have spoken to a few glass guys, and they say even with the "u" shape it should hold.

Last edited:
So here are a few pics of the current tank thats being taken down and split into two nano's: all the LPS will be kept and a few fragged by the time my Nano's are ready. All the SPS will be kept.

and the blceach Rainbow anem which is slowly coming better.

IMG_7258.JPG
IMG_7259.JPG
IMG_7260.JPG
IMG_7261.JPG

So the new build has started...

This is the Stand for the new 800x400 SPS nano. Yes, I know its wood and ALOT of people don't trust or like wooden stands. However if done right they are brilliant. Most if not all of the American nano's I have looked at all use wooden stands.

IMG_8457.JPG
IMG_8458.JPG

I will start a separate thread for the IM LPS Nano that is currently being setup

Yes, I know its wood and ALOT of people don't trust or like wooden stands.
Wood is perfect, as long as it's done properly, all of my tanks are on wooden stands, a nano, a 4ft and an 8ft.

I agree. I would suggest you properly seal it and you will be good to go!

Yup, sealing is being done tomorrow. Then the painting starts

Last edited:
Reactions: NJH
So just a quick update...
Glass will be ordered this week and tank built as soon as it arrives.
The stand is ready for wood filler, then sanding, then varishing most of it. taping off the front face as this will be spray painted to match the doors and removable sides.

20170504_183616.jpg

Yeh taking my time with the build after a very specific look.

on that note if anyone has a Kessil a150w Ocean Blue for sale.... drop me a pm as I am contemplating adding a third

Didnt get to much work on the cabinet this weekend, however I did setup my Nano LPS tank, new thread to be started for it tomorrow.

Update on the SPS nano...

3 port doser unit ordered, Got my float switch etc for my auto top up. Hoping that I will have one coat of paint on the wood by the weekend.

Back
Top Bottom