Feeding

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by elrohiras, 16 Mar 2016.

1. elrohiras

elrohiras

Hey all, a quick question on feeding, I tried ON formula 1 & 2 a few weeks back and had a big nitrate & phosphate spike.. Both doubled. Nitrates up to 12 and PO up to 0.08.

I have only been feeding myso & brine + lobster eggs as a treat and occasional nori for tang. Seachem zoo & Phyto twice a week for corals.

Has anyone else experienced this? Seems like the jello packed formula food didn't suit my system at all.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Rob13

Rob13 MASA Contributor

When I feed frozen what I do is take two plastic cups: The one I have cut very small holes in the bottom so that water can drain out and then I put this cup into the other cup. I then add tank water and let the food fully defrost. After it has defrosted I let the water drain and am then left with only food and no excess liquid that goes into the tank... If that makes any sense?

4. Rob13

Rob13 MASA Contributor

Here is a YouTube video where the guy uses a net if you prefer this method... I find that this really helps in making sure that only the food and a lot of the extra nutrients do not enter the system...

5. elrohiras

elrohiras Thread Starter

Yes I do the same with the myso etc. Defrost and rinse with RO water before adding to the tank. The ON formula is in a 'jelly' though and doesn't break down even when fully defrosted.

6. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

How much and often are you feeding? Maybe cut down on the frozen food and add some flakes/pellets to the diet.

7. elrohiras

elrohiras Thread Starter

Dumped the formula and went back to myso and lobster eggs. Problem gone

Recent Posts