feeding?

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by Toasted, 19 Jan 2012.

1. Toasted

Toasted

so how often should clarki clown fish be fed? got 2 today, let them settle into tank for a few hours and fed with flakes, both had plenty.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Broder

Broder Mudshark

I think the rule of thumb is roughly what they can consume in about a minute. Clowns will be ok with 2 feeds a day, although more frequent, smaller feeds are beneficial.

4. Toasted

Toasted Thread Starter

5. belindamotion

belindamotion Google Master

Could I ask you how long as this Tank been cycling...? Is it cycling the "good old fashion way...? or did you add stuff to help you'r cycle along...? Asking as you Posted this 4days ago...
    Are the Clowns in another Fish Tank...? Sorry for asking, don't mean to offend and I do see that you know you'r way around a Fish Tank, but Freshwater and Saltwater are "worlds apart"....many DO know the difference, but then some don't...Nowhere can I read how you are cycling, so I'm assuming it's "natural way"..? Or am I mistaken..
    Marine Aquarium Cycle - Marine Aquariums of South Africa

6. Toasted

Toasted Thread Starter

only just seen your post sorry. heres what ive done so far.

12th Jan: tank clean'd out and fresh (tap) water added pump running (aqua one 550) salt was added later that night when temp was @ 25c
    13th Jan: live rock and 4 hermit crabs added, salinity adjusted over next few days to 1.025
    19th Jan: 2 clarkii clownfish added with more live rock containing polpy's
    28th Jan: green algea visible, purple coralline algea, bristle worms and bristle stars spotted, fish eating looking very healthy and greeting people when they approach tank. eating blood worms, tropical flakes. hermit crabs all very active.

ive done no water testing or changes, just topped tank up with fresh tap water.

7. belindamotion

Weekly shipment 2010-04-20 - Marine Aquariums of South Africa

Never use tap water - Marine Aquariums of South Africa

You have to Test for Ammonia everyday and get some stuff like Seachem Stability...or maybe even Prime ...?
    Seachem. Stability
    Seachem. Prime
    ...I think you'r Tank will have an Ammonia climb as you haven't used any "chemical way"...guy's help out if I'm wrong...regardless of how "healthy" his fishes are....his Tank is still going to give an Ammonia Spike...?

You really should read this...
    Marine Aquarium Cycle - Marine Aquariums of South Africa

Last edited: 28 Jan 2012
  8. Toasted

Toasted Thread Starter

im planning on a 20% water change every 4week starting 8th feb. untill then all im doing is checking temp and salinity. the live stock, 2 clarkii's who are showing signs of pairing, 4 hermit crabs, polyps and various other strange critters in the live rock are all looking and acting as healthy as any freshwater fish ive ever kept. i will be adding a cleaner shrimp, more live rock and turbo snails soon.

9. belindamotion

10. chikaboo

chikaboo

Woah ...Slow down buddy ... belinda has given you some very helpfull links ... go through them ... they will save you alot of heartache in the near future ... this hobby requires tons of patience ... The basic concept of cycling a tank is allowing the micro organisms to grow enough in population to consume all the waste created by your livestock ... If this is not achieved you will in a nutshell have you livestock living their lives in their own toilet water ... Not a nice life don't you think ... Go slow or you will be sorry

11. SeanH

SeanH

"that's all she wrote"?

I wonder how the tank is doing now?

Recent Posts