Feeding - When & How much to Feed?

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by vatso, 26 Jan 2010.

1. vatso

vatso

Peeps never got an answer to this question!

I have no doubt I am over feeding - have food floating around the tank for minutes & then a few hours later I see lots of little bubbles in the algea!!

Is it best to feed twice a day or once? I am worried the fish starve - also is it better to just target feed the corals & then 5 min later put the pumps back on & let the fish eat what's floating around?

Thanks
    Mark

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

depends on your livestock - not very helpfull answer hey...

No really, if you have anthias, they must be fed like 3 times a day. Or more, but very little. Got a short or fast digestive track apparently.

Other fish normally 2 time a day. I feed flakes in the morning (less time available) and frozen food afternoons. Whatever you feed them must be gone within a minute, no food should swirl around for 5 minutes. Or else you create an algae and cayno heaven.

Put your hand in the water, then realease the flakes, else it floats and just go to the overflow to the sump. Then no need to switch return pump off.
    That is why I do not like pellets. They float around and just go down the drain... For pellets, put a bit of water in a little plastic container and let the pellets float in there for a while. When they are swollen and sinking, then drop them into the tank. Trying to get them under the water is better. But still, I do not like pellets.

Also make sure you have at least two different types of flake food - variety is key. McDonalds is nice, but you can not eat WheatBix and McDonalds only for a month...

4. vatso

vatso Thread Starter

110% in woman that is key :)

I feed frozen food in the morning and flakes at night - I target feed the flakes to the corals I have for 5 min & then put the pumps on & the fish have a ball

I use half a block of frozen food in the morning

5. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Vatso - fish does not generally have to be fed that much. In nature, they eat a LOT less that what we feed them.....

Once a day is more than ample. If you really feel sorry for them, you can perhaps divide your feeding into 2 or 3 times, in the evening - BUT, VERY small amounts then at a time....

REMEMBER: one of the biggest problems of people who start marines, is overfeeding, and underskimming.

If you have a skimmer that can remove everything you feed, then you would THEORETICALLY be "allowed" to overfeed..... because then the nutrients caused (both by uneaten food, as well as the detritus from the fish), would easily be removed from the water.

BUT - this is in at least 60% of chances NOT the case - our skimmers are barely able to cope with our bio-load - let alone with overfeeding.... therefor the outbreak of nuisance algaes....... (and bacteria - ie. cyano)....

6. maj

maj

so how do u know if ur fish has eaten enuff?
    the bigger fish dominate feeding times...thus leaving the smaller fish to suffer

7. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Maj - that's why you should perhaps feed 3 times, but smaller feedings..... Believe me - fish "never eat enough" - they will eat until they burst. ;)

I feed only once a day - and you can check out my pics - see how fat my fish are... ;)

In nature, fish rarely become this fat, as we get them to become in our tanks......

8. maj

maj

noted,i will rather feed twice daily.
    skinny fish arent attractive.....i just spread the food out nicely when feeding

9. vatso

vatso Thread Starter

Great info & feeding is now down we all on diet lol

Recent Posts