Feeding Sun Corals

Discussion in 'LPS Corals' started by Kunhardt, 17 Apr 2009.

1. Kunhardt

Kunhardt

Does anyone have experience feeding sun corals? Mine has finally started extending its polyps tonight. I mixed up some brine shrimp, ocean nutrition coral food and some ground up omega one flakes. I have made a target feeding device with airline tubing and a suringe and went about switching off the pumps and trying to target feed this mixture to the individual heads.

How do i know they are getting enough food? I have read they have a verocious appetite so how much is enough? Do they get any food out of the water column as well? I am thinking the bucket method may be best at this point as i can load it up with food and not worry about polluting my tank, but is this taking the coral out of the tank all the time not going to have adverse effects on it? Oh and is there any other suggestions for food to feed?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. brentnorm

brentnorm

The best is to take it out of the tank and put it in a container with tank water and feed it there.

4. Junz

Junz

Kunhardt, i have a colony of sun corals and they are doing really well, i feed every night and the food includes a mix of formula1 and 2 , omega flakes, brine shrimp, krill. i feed them in 10 min intervals giving them time to consume the first helping and feed them once more, i noticed that with regular feeding they dont eat any food on the 2nd serving.

i also used to move my sun corals into a different bowl when feeding bu i think it stressed out the coral and it didnt do so well , feeding in tank is the best way without disturbing the coral ( personal opinion )

5. FransSny

FransSny

agreed with junz i feel taking them out put a lot of stress on the coral,
    rather make your own target feeder. 2L coke bottel cut in half, pvc tubing attached to the top (where the cap would normally go)

i take some water from the dt, mix my food into it and after placing the feeder over the coral i just pour the mixture down the tube ...easy peasy

6. Tony

Tony

You can feed more accurately if you just use the syringe to target each polyp.

7. Kunhardt

Kunhardt Thread Starter

Thanks for the feed back guys. Stressing them out was also my concern, so i wont go that route as yet, if they start looking a bit under the weather I will give it a go though.

I will try mixing some formula one with my mix too see if they take to that...I have over the past two days been feeding 2 5mm servings so my colony do u think this will be enough? I cannot tell how much they eat as yet due to the fact the larger heads have not opened up their polyps yet, just the small heads around the base opened up to feed last night.

I tried attaching a coke bottle to my feeder, but removed it as i couldnt get to my coral with it (not enough space). Would u say i should maybe move the coral into a more open space so i can enclose it in the feeder? Also do u guys switch all pumps off to feed? I have been doing this.

Lastly, Tony I dont mind feeding them with just the syringe but this would mean i would have to stick my hands in the tank all the time. Isnt this a bad thing?

8. FransSny

FransSny

Hi kunhard has a very good idea if yo dont have space for the coke bottle thing, if you dont want to stick your hands in the tank just attach a long enought peice of "air tubing" to the front of the syringe and hook it up to a feeding stic

Recent Posts