Feeding Stations

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by Paul B, 3 Jan 2012.

1. Paul B

Paul B

All fish in the sea know how to find their food and in a tank it is even easier for them. The problem is that in the sea Mother Nature supplies food all day, every day. We as humans have other lives and usually don't want to feed our fish continousely. At least I don't. Also some fish are just designed to eat a tiny bit all day because that is just the way their digestive systems were designed. Fish like pipefish and seahorses don't even have a real stomach, just a short tube that acts like a stomach and intestine. These types of fish can not store food as other fish can. Other fish with similar digestive systems are mandarins and any other fish that normally lives on tiny food such as pods. These fish can not even eat a large meal if it were offered to them which is also the reason for their tiny mouths.
    For this reason I am a big advocate of feeding stations.
    My tank is old and loaded with pods so I really don't have to do this but sometimes a certain fish needs a little help even if the tank is full of pods.
    I recently aquired a baby female that is very skinny. I am hoping she matures to mate with my large male.
    I hatch and feed live baby brine shrimp to my tank every day and most of the fish eat them, even the larger gobies but this food disappears in a few minutes. Some of it gets skimmed off or caught in powerheads and the rest migrate to the surface because baby brine shrimp are attracted to light.
    Most fish that would eat pods, live on the bottom so that food is lost to them.
    This feeding station is designed for baby brine shrimp. It is just a plactic container with a mesh over it that barely passes baby brine.
    It also has a tube running to the surface so I can fill it with shrimp.
    I fill it in the morning and fish just hang around it all day sucking out shrimp.
    Many shrimp also escape to be caught by the corals.
    About 15 years ago I designed and patented this type of feeding station for adult brine shrimp.
    http://www.breedersregistry.org/Articles/v4_i3_paul_b/paul_b.htm (I do not sell these)
    I have also used a different type of feeding station to feed moorish Idols.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

really a cool idea.

4. Annoying

Annoying

wow that's amazing! Just want to make sure, we can still make one for ourselves even if you have the patent:p

5. RUAN

RUAN

Looks verry cool....:thumbup:

6. Paul B

Paul B Thread Starter

I think I have enough patents for now. Besides the patent I have on that thing I posted would probably make it impossable for me to patent another screen enclosure for feeding brine shrimp because thats what that other thing does, only with larger shrimp. :)

I love this stuff. I modified it a little by adding a better funnel on the top so I can just pour in the baby brine and I added a tiny hole at the bend at the bottom of the acrylic so the air comes out of the tube before it goes in the feeder container.
    I also sealed a couple of lead weights in it just for the heck of it.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 4 Jan 2012
  7. Paul B

Paul B Thread Starter

I built the thing mainly for this young skinny female mandarin. Up unitl now she has been afraid to go on top of it and would just suck up the shrimp around the edges but now she hangs out on top of it and sucks out dozens of shrimp. I need her to grow a little so she can mate.
    [​IMG]

8. erratiC

erratiC

Very cool, Paul. Have you bred mandarins before? Wishing you luck anyhow.

9. Paul B

Paul B Thread Starter

No, I have never tried to breed mandarins before. If these do breed, I will probably not raise the fry. I don't do that any more as it takes up to much time and room.

10. Paul B

Paul B Thread Starter

I took a short video of the thing working.
    [​IMG]

11. Paul B

Paul B Thread Starter

It's been a little over a month since I installed this thing and I love it. My tank has 3 bluestrip pipefish, and two mandarins along with some small clown gobies and shrimp. They all hang around this thing for a few hours that it has shrimp in it. In this tank I really don't have to supliment their diet because there are plenty of pods but I like everything to spawn and the only way fish will spawn is by eating more food then they normally can and food with a high oil content such as new born brine shrimp are even better than pods.
    Two of the pipefish are to young to spawn but I feel that in a couple of weeks they will be ready. Also my female mandarin is to young so this will fatten her up.
    My copperband is a regular visitor here although he gets live worms every day.
    It is just another thing for me to get facinated about.
    [​IMG]

12. erratiC

erratiC

That's quite a popular idea you've got going there... a CBB, pipefish and a mandarin eating from it..

So you've got a long tube that is permanently attached to the station and long enough that it sticks out of the water?

Very cool.

13. Paul B

Paul B Thread Starter

Yes and it has a small funnel on it. I do have to remove the thing once in a while because algae grows on it

14. Helga

Helga

Really neat gadget you've designed. Did you use a rigid tube going down to the "dish" or is a airline tubing. Would love to try this!:thumbup:

15. mytank

mytank

Hey ya Paul, what type of mesh is it can we get a closer pic of it so we can see the hole size of the mesh?

Also when you pour the shrimp down the tube does it have enough force to fill the bottom catchment area even with the pressure of the holding "pen" at the bottom of the tank?

16. Paul B

Paul B Thread Starter

That is a rigid tube because it makes it easier to position the thing on the bottom of the tank. A flexable tube would make the device fly all over the place as I tried to position it. I also built a better funnel on the top to make it easier to fill. To fill it I strain the shrimp so they are in a small container of a few ounces and pour it in the funnel. Then I add a little water to the funnel to make sure all the shrimp go down or a lot of them will be in the tube. There is no problem getting the shrimp down inth the device, they go right in. Don't add too much water or many of the shrimp will be forced through the mesh.
    The next time I remove it I will try to take a close up picture of the mesh. It was just an old net that I cut up. The shrimp should be able to get through it, but just barely. If they can swim through easily, they will all imediately escape when you put them in there and if it is too small, the fish will not be able to suck them through the net. So the holes in the net are about the same size as a newborn shrimp .
    This feeder that I designed many years ago for adult brine shrimp was the same principal.

http://www.breedersregistry.org/Articles/v4_i3_paul_b/paul_b.htm
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 12 Feb 2012
  17. mandarinman

mandarinman

Wow ! Really cool inspiring stuff! These ideas are great!

18. Paul B

Paul B Thread Starter

That skinny little female mandarin at the beginning of this thread is now all filled out and bordering on a little chubby. I am hopeful that soon she will grow enough to mate with the large male who so far ignores her. I don't know why, she is cute.

19. Paul B

Paul B Thread Starter

I am happy to say that in the 5 or 6 weeks since I installed this baby brine shrimp feeding station my skinny little female mandarin fattened up nicely and is now bordering on plump.
    The first picture is when I got her, you can see her sides pinched in, especially under her dorsal fin and she resembled Twiggy.
    The second picture is today.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. butcherman

butcherman Moderator MASA Contributor

@Paulb what mesh do you use here? i want to DIY myself one.

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  21. AdamVR

AdamVR

tagging... absolutely awesome!!

Recent Posts