feeding star fish

Reaction score
hello waterless one:)

havent seen you in here for a while and just wanted to ask a question on the feeding behavior of star fish.

I have a chock chip star fish and i decided to take some freez dried tubifex and stick it next to the glass to see how he feeds.

It was rather interesting seeing the creatchure react and cover the block quite quickly, then hunker down and spread a jelly like substance over the food to start a digestive process I would assume.

i got a few pics in focus (miracle) and was wondering if you had any propper descriptions on how and what they do?

the creatchure in question....

2026.jpg

and feeding....its the fan like jell, which i am intrested in finding out about:)

2025.jpg

I fed him everyday. he even chowed aptasia. when aptasia was all consumed i parted with him

Hi Crispin! To answer your Q, that "jelly" is its stomach. The "higher" (more evolved) sea stars have "extendable" stomachs which they use to directly digest their food/prey. Kinda weird, huh?

"Reef safe" is a relative term... sometimes otherwise not reef safe animals can be dissuaded from causing too much trouble by keeping them very well fed.

Hi Crispin! To answer your Q, that "jelly" is its stomach. The "higher" (more evolved) sea stars have "extendable" stomachs which they use to directly digest their food/prey. Kinda weird, huh?

"Reef safe" is a relative term... sometimes otherwise not reef safe animals can be dissuaded from causing too much trouble by keeping them very well fed.
so he ummmm drops his guts so to speak?

by extending his stomach does that allow digestive juices over the prey and that get absorbed?

Haha... yeah, I guess you could put it that way. I assume it would likely be leaving digestive juices behind while attempting to eat something... but probably not while it is just casually crawling around.

Back
Top Bottom