Feeding squid to corals - good or not?

Discussion in 'General Coral Care' started by Jaco Schoeman, 9 Feb 2010.

1. Jaco Schoeman

Jaco Schoeman MASA Contributor

Hi guys.

Long story short, me and my dad decided to get squid and feed it to our corals (especially my azoo corals such as dendro.) So we got this frozen squid from Blue Marlin in Boksburg (which is fish shop and restaurant - not an LFS)

We put the squid in a blender, and mashed to a nice fine paste, froze it and Bob's yr ungle.

Problem is, that I have been feeding my tank for two days now, and since I started feeding, my sun corals aren't opening up any more :whistling:... All the other fish and corals (incl the dendro and gorgonians) seem fine.

My dad only fed for the first time last night, and he had a VERY weird reaction from all his softies. They all blew up like balloons.

Here are some MUSHROOMS :p

[​IMG]

Now the question we both have, is this normal? I called the shop to find the name again, and they have their own name for it, called Potag Whole. It is a smallish squid that is redish purple, and had the heads and tentacles all in tact.

What are your thoughts, are they poisoning the corals?

PS: Dad's musrhooms etc all returned to normal later on again, with no ill effect from any fish also eating some stray particles etc.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Jaco Schoeman

Jaco Schoeman Thread Starter MASA Contributor

Googled the name and found this: It looks alot like it, and the name is actually Pota Argentina:

[​IMG]

4. poiromaniax

poiromaniax MASA Contributor

bump

5. ziyaadb

ziyaadb

that is a pic of the mushrooms eating. mine do that same thing when they get food in them

6. dv8

dv8

i have mixed squid into my fish food mix for a long time, with no problems. do you thaw the squid, blend and then freez it again jaco? i get mine fresh from the harbour, i know that if one thaws sertain things it must be used as it go's off. could the squid you used posibly have gone off?

7. Jaco Schoeman

Sorry for sounding stupid (I am an afrikaans boertjie) what does "thaw" mean? :blush:

Basically, we got the stuff from the shop, threw it in a blender and then froze it again.

8. dv8

dv8

thraw=ontdood i think, defrost is another word. my afrikaans is not as good as it used to be.

9. vatso

vatso

Thaw = To change from a frozen solid to a liquid by gradual warming

10. dv8

dv8

perhaps your sun coral is just "versaadig":p just kidding. most resipe's i have managed to find use squid

11. Jaco Schoeman

Ooooooo - dankie menere... LOL. Okey, no, I dont thaw it, I actually just threw mine in the blender, with some salt water from the tank, and then voala...

Maybe it might be co-incidence on my suns, but are you guys happy with the way the mushrooms in dads tank reacted? This is not a sign of them being nuked or anything? And are those squid we used okey?

12. dv8

dv8

i can't say for sure if your squid is o k but mushrooms do sometimes swell up when they eat, i have not had mine swell that mutch though. i have nuked aptasia with joe's juce and they swelled up like that. but if the shrooms are o k now then i guess they should be o k with the squid. perhaps the guru's could answer it better

13. Reef Maniac

Reef Maniac MASA Contributor

I don't have any evidence that squid is actually bad for anything, but it certainly is not your usual coral/anemone food in Nature.

I have tried to use it a few times, but it usually ends up making a mess of the blender. I would suggest that you just blend a mixture of fresh fish, shrimps/prawns, perhaps some roe (fish eggs) and some Nori sheets. If you place the freshly blended mush into small ziploc bags, and place the bags horizontally (flat down) in the freezer, it is very easy & convenient to just brake off pieces when you feed the fish.

"Blowing up" is quite normal, but I must say, your Dad's 'shrooms have really beaten any opposition :whistling:

I guess that the rather tough flesh of the squid is taking longer to digest than what would have been the case had the mushrooms eaten more fishy flesh - perhaps that's why they appear extra blown-up...

Hennie

14. mandarinman

mandarinman

try using marinara mix, but remove the crab sticks, so you will have a combo of squid , mussels, shrimp and hake. and it is cheaper.(squid is tough and may be using more digestive juices than normal) you may be seeing mushroom indigestion!

15. magman

magman

my anenomes love chokka, and the shrimps and crays

16. dv8

dv8

i've been feeding my bubble anemone with white mussle one a week and its now split again.

Recent Posts