Feeding spirulina to corals

Discussion in 'General Coral Care' started by Raven, 30 Jan 2010.

1. Raven

Raven

Good afternoon all!
    In a couple of threads I read the some is adding spirulina in the food mix for their fish.
    I've done some reading on spirulina - very good stuff!

I've started to add spirulina to my frozen food mix about 2-3 weeks ago.
    I'm using 2 crushed tablets per feeding every second day.

I've noted that some of the LPS corals started to open when I feed this. It even looks like the nemmies respond positively to it.

Now - I'm interrested in buying the following:
    1. A clam
    2. sun coral
    3. Strawberry/Pink Cauliflower

Will a frozen sea food mix (mussels, prawns, hake), mixed with spirulina be enough to feed these corals?
    I'm sure that the spirulina contains so much nutritional value, that it can replace some coral food, or not really?

Below is an extract from wiki pedia:
    Spirulina (dietary supplement) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Protein

Spirulina contains an unusually high amount of protein, between 55% and 77% by dry weight, depending upon the source. It is a complete protein,[4] containing all essential amino acids, though with reduced amounts of methionine, cysteine, and lysine when compared to the proteins of meat, eggs, and milk. It is, however, superior to typical plant protein, such as that from legumes.[5][6]
    [edit] Essential fatty acids

Spirulina is rich in gamma-linolenic acid (GLA), and also provides alpha-linolenic acid (ALA), linoleic acid (LA), stearidonic acid (SDA), eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA), docosahexaenoic acid (DHA), and arachidonic acid (AA).[6][7]
    [edit] Vitamins

Spirulina contains vitamin B1 (thiamine), B2 (riboflavin), B3 (nicotinamide), B6 (pyridoxine), B9 (folic acid), vitamin C, vitamin D, and vitamin E.[6][7]
    [edit] B12

The bioavailability of vitamin B12 in Spirulina is in dispute. Several biological assays have been used to test for the presence of vitamin B12.[8] The most popular is the US Pharmacopeia method using the Lactobacillus leichmannii assay. Studies using this method have shown Spirulina to be a minimal source of bioavailable vitamin B12.[9] However, this assay does not differentiate between true B12 (cobalamin) and similar compounds (corrinoids) that cannot be used in human metabolism. Cyanotech, a grower of spirulina, claims to have done a more recent assay, which has shown Spirulina to be a significant source of cobalamin. However, the assay is not published for scientific review and so the validity of this assay is in doubt.[10] The American Dietetic Association and Dietitians of Canada in their position paper on vegetarian diets state that spirulina can not be counted on as a reliable source of active vitamin B12. [11]
    [edit] Minerals

Spirulina is a rich source of potassium, and also contains calcium, chromium, copper, iron, magnesium, manganese, phosphorus, selenium, sodium, and zinc.[6][7]
    [edit] Photosynthetic pigments

Spirulina contains many pigments including chlorophyll-a, xanthophyll, beta-carotene, echinenone, myxoxanthophyll, zeaxanthin, canthaxanthin, diatoxanthin, 3'-hydroxyechinenone, beta-cryptoxanthin, oscillaxanthin, plus the phycobiliproteins c-phycocyanin and allophycocyanin.[1]

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. LuckyFish

LuckyFish MASA Contributor

Raven, in my opinion, you can make all your food yourself and it will be cheaper, if not even better than the available food in the shops.
    I only use home made food for broodstock and growout. If I would feed my broodstock with food from the shops, I would not have such big cluster eggs and such healthy larvae. No doubt about it. My latest addition to my home made food was spirulina. Since I feed my juveniles with the new mix, they eat until they are round. And I mean round. I was always surprised, why I can´t over feed them. Now I can. I actually must take some pictures and post them. They grow now much faster with spirulina.
    Something in the spirulina releases a smell in the water and the fish goes crazy. Probably the corals, too.
    A block of food, that usually last for a few hours, is now finished in less than a minute.
    I recommend to add 5 % spirulina to the food. If the new food with spirulina is defrosted, a blue juice is running out. That is normal. Spirulina was donkey years ago, called blue algae. Maybe because of the blue juice.

4. durleo

durleo

Hey Marcel

What spirulina do you use - Is it the tablet form or the powder and where do you purchase it from?
    I tried in a health shop and they only keep the tablets.

5. Raven

Raven Thread Starter

cool!
    So you recon I'll be able to feed the corals with this as well?
    I'm looking at going for stuff like sun corals which needs more food.
    Why only 5%?

6. LuckyFish

I got the powder from Allan Pennel. I think he is in Joburg.

allan@pennville.co.za

7. LuckyFish

5% is recommended for fish food. I also thought, why only 5%. I just did what I was told and if I got some spare time, I will discuss this with a friend of mine, a marine biologist. He understands what the fish need for growth, etc.
    I know, juveniles require 50 to 60% protein, but adults only 40%.

By the way, Astaxanthin is also a very good thing to add.
    Cyclopeeze contains, I think it was a minimum of 3500ppm, astaxanthin.
    But there is a saturation point where the body can´t use the "overdose".
    I add always only 200ppm astaxanthin to my food and my albinos turned into light red after a week.
    More astaxanthin would be a waste, because it is very expensive.
    [​IMG]

What a difference in colour, with only 200 ppm. The colour developes after two days feeding with the astaxanthin enriched food and if I change the diet, the fish is back to orange within two weeks.

Feeding corals is not my favourite topic, because I´m out of the coral hobby.
    But I remember, a cattalaphylia (spelling?) or elegance coral eats chopped krill.
    Mushrooms take very small pellets. The food they use at trout farms is brilliant for corals. They pump themselves up and visibly eat this food. I was shocked, to see that many corals eat, where I thought they live only of light (photosynthesis).
    That was back in the nineties and the food that you can buy is much better now.

My problem with all that stuff is, I have to believe that the food contains, what is written on the tin or jar. Same with additives for KH, Ca, Mg, etc. I rather mix it myself, then I know what is in there.
    The artificial salt in the nineties was very good, but these days it is lacking in calcium, magnesium, trace elements, etc.

8. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

Hi, as I posted in the coral colour thread, spirulina is a great food form, its a form of cyanobacteri, and as luckyfish said called blue green algae.Add it to ur food, but make sure its of the highest grade and it occurs naturally in some zooxanthalle and its a great additive to help with photosynthesis. Just like all things do add to much and it can discolour objects and expel zooxanthellae if used to much, I have had this only happen once and I am now sitting with a transparent frogspawn coral.And will u at it, take one teaspoon with fruit juice in the morning for ur self its super healthyIf u need, I am in jhb and can get superfine spirulina at lab grade

9. Johan van Aardt

Johan van Aardt I love marines [R.I.P.]

How much does it usually cost dallasg? Like when u last baught or an estimate?

10. Louis Scheepers

Louis Scheepers

I would be interested in the Spirulina aswell, so please let us know the price Dallas.

11. dv8

dv8

12. maj

maj

what kindv of spirulina can be used..any over the counter source?

Recent Posts