Feeding of Corals

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by Evo R, 8 Mar 2010.

1. Evo R

Evo R

Hi

I have a melon or neon green mushroom and a ric wich both came with the LR.And im getting a couple of frags later in the week,now my Q....what to feed them or will nature take care of its self??

Thanks

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Reef Maniac

Reef Maniac MASA Contributor

Mushrooms are easy - depending on the size of the 'shrooms, stop all water flow, and then place either a small piece of fish, shrimp, etc. on it, or drop a bit of minced-up fish, shrimp, etc. on it. If you do this at night, just after lights out, the fish should not steal too much of this food, but if they do, then cut the bottom off a 2-liter coke bottle, remove the label (and obviously wash the bottle very well with RO water) and place the bottle over the mushroom before you feed them.

Here are some photos showing one eat:

"Normal" daytime mode:
    [​IMG]

Starting to close up - note piece of fish (white) in center of body:
    [​IMG]

Closing of 'shroom, about 1 minute after the previous photo:
    [​IMG]

The 'shrooms will close up completely, but will be open again the next morning.

You obviously need to remove the bottle (if used) and start up all the pumps again after about 10 minutes or so, but make sure you keep all the lights off untill the next morning, else your fish, shrimps or crabs will try to steal the food.

Hennie

4. chikaboo

chikaboo

Hi all - just a quick one on this subject - I see most people switch off their pumps during feeding - I find with my pumps on there's a nice flow of food everywhere in the tank and the food's blown all over the place - is this not a better way to feed - And its very cool to see the fish speeding behind the food..... Is there pro's and cons to the different methods ... with pumps on and with pumps off...

5. Evo R

Evo R Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice.I use blood worms and pellets.also switching off the pumps when i feed otherwise most end up in the overflow.So two more Q's..... is blood worms and pellets OK? And how often should i feed??

6. chikaboo

chikaboo

All of my tanks strongest internal flow pumps are placed directly under the overflow slot so very little solid food particles goes over the top - just a thought ... use it or lose it .... sorry bloodworms cool and the pellets if designed for marine shouldn't be a problem....

7. maj

maj

i leave the pumps on...allows the food to spread to all corals and fish....

corals grab th efood particles out the water

8. Reef Maniac

Reef Maniac MASA Contributor

For fish - yes (although they will love you a lot more if you varied their diet).

For corals and anemones - no (IMHO) they should be fed real fish, shrimps, prawns, mussels - i.e. sea food (preferably fresh, but frozen is OK). Make sure that you also feed the shell or skin and intestines, if possible - these parts contain nutrients not freely available in the clean flesh (much like the vitamins in the skin of potatoes, etc). You could of course also look at buying frozen krill and other sea food from your local marine pet shop, or (preferable) from one of the MASA sponsors.

I feed my mushrooms, etc. about once every week, but they do catch and eat live 'pods from the DLSB as well. If your tank does not have an abundance of live food ('pods) living in the tank, then feed them twice per week.

Hennie

9. chikaboo

chikaboo

The only downside to this is you have to clean your pumps out more often than usual but its well worth it because of the food dispersion done so well by the pumps....

10. chikaboo

chikaboo

Oh while on the feeding topic and since nobody responded to this question in my thread:razz: - Does anyone feed dried krill or dried shrimp?

11. maj

maj

tried that dried shrimp..fish dont eat it at all

12. chikaboo

chikaboo

what about dried krill ... I see its a big seller on e-bay with the oversea's pet shops....

13. Dirkie

Dirkie

Lion fish ,wrasse love the dried shrimps.

14. pkc

pkc

Recent Posts